Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know about Oasis (International Thermal), but the similar Aquahot system says you should NOT operate the heating system once the fresh water lines have been drained. The concern is that the heat exchanger for hot water has no place to "exchange" its heat to and thus may overheat and fail. I suspect the risk is low, but apparently it can happen.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 08:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Don't know about Oasis (International Thermal), but the similar Aquahot system says you should NOT operate the heating system once the fresh water lines have been drained. The concern is that the heat exchanger for hot water has no place to "exchange" its heat to and thus may overheat and fail. I suspect the risk is low, but apparently it can happen.
Gary,

Thank you so much for the insight and I'll definitely look into that advice. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

David
NEWMARDS3724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #17

David,

Yes, it was the DS 3724 or nothing. I think 38 ft is a good compromise between being large enough to full-time in, yet small enough to get into more off-grid camping spots, especially in the state & national park systems.

I also figured the 37 ft'er would have more basement space than a 40 ft'er. The 40 ft'er is 3 ft longer, but the tag takes up 4 ft of basement length. Also, I don't want to have to think about the 40 ft rule in California on their secondary roads.

I'm looking for a single bath, king bed, and no full-wall slides, so the DS 3736 was not a consideration.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #18

If the water lines are drained then the oasis system should not be used. That is also the point of winterizing and draining the water to avoid having to leave the heating on.

Good quality coaches can sit for months at a time in cold weather with no issues. Only the generator needs to be exercised once a month for an hour or so with a load for half that time - the middle 30 minutes. Consult you user manual for specific instructions for cold weather storage for the generator.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-OEM View Post
If the water lines are drained then the oasis system should not be used. That is also the point of winterizing and draining the water to avoid having to leave the heating on.

Good quality coaches can sit for months at a time in cold weather with no issues. Only the generator needs to be exercised once a month for an hour or so with a load for half that time - the middle 30 minutes. Consult you user manual for specific instructions for cold weather storage for the generator.
X-OEM,

Thank you for the information. I was also concerned about that as well and turned it off completely. I'll have to do more research on air pressure to remove the water from the lines. I have a viair so I think I'll do more research on that concept.

Thank you, David
Old 01-08-2017, 09:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
David,

Yes, it was the DS 3724 or nothing. I think 38 ft is a good compromise between being large enough to full-time in, yet small enough to get into more off-grid camping spots, especially in the state & national park systems.

I also figured the 37 ft'er would have more basement space than a 40 ft'er. The 40 ft'er is 3 ft longer, but the tag takes up 4 ft of basement length. Also, I don't want to have to think about the 40 ft rule in California on their secondary roads.

I'm looking for a single bath, king bed, and no full-wall slides, so the DS 3736 was not a consideration.
I guess you considered the Tifin Allegro Bus 37p or 37s I think but if I am not mistaken both of those have a full wall slide on the drivers side? It's too bad Newmar couldn't accommodate those special requests. I hate it if you are willing to spend the money your changes couldn't be made but I guess they have to draw the line somewhere.

Thanks, David
Old 01-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
David,

99Phantoms,

Did you ever consider the Renegade coach. REV group actually just purchased them however we looked at these for a few years until we decided on a class a diesel pusher. I actually test drove one and it was nice and I remember you can really customize these models. Just curious.

Thanks, David
Old 01-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWMARDS3724 View Post
99Phantoms,
Did you ever consider the Renegade coach.
Yes, going to the Tampa RV show next week, specifically to look at Dynamax, ShowHauler, Renegade, and Haulmark. I've watched some ShowHauler videos, and am impressed with how they are built, and that they can be highly customized. (cookie-cutter coaches have too many compromises for my needs)

I've looked at Tiffin, the Allegro Bus specifically, but haven't found a suitable floor plan. And, they won't make (hardly) any changes. At Hershey in Sept I test drove a 600hp Allegro Bus... the ride was very impressive.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
If you can walk outside to your coach, your plan is fine. If the storage is somewhere that you need your car to get to, then winterizing is the safest route. Also best for sleeping at night.

Have fun with the new coach
I agree with this statement. Our's is parked at our house and we run the diesel burner during freezing weather to keep from winterizing. We often use it in the winter. I don't think I would do this if it was parked at a remote site.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, M&G 2.0 Proportional Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #24

99 Phantoms-Rule in CA is motorhomes >40' are prohibited from a few road sections (see map), otherwise, OK45' Bus & Motorhome Map. Alternate routes are avaliable; see especially the north coast (click #1 on map). I've driven my 40' (40'7" as measured) on several restricted road sections and the restrictions are there for a good reason (read tight turns and narrow lanes). Beautiful country, don't miss it as you travel.
Bill
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #25

If using air, make sure you don't exceed 50 lbs. of pressure to be safe. That is more then enough to expel the water but below the 60 lbs. the system is rated for water pressure.

If you are not sure of the procedure, take it to a decent service provider and ask to watch them do it. That's what I did the first time, I asked first and they allowed it. As I said earlier, the fridge and washer is the only slightly complicated part.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #26

Quote:
If using air, make sure you don't exceed 50 lbs. of pressure to be safe. That is more then enough to expel the water but below the 60 lbs. the system is rated for water pressure.

If you are not sure of the procedure, take it to a decent service provider and ask to watch them do it. That's what I did the first time, I asked first and they allowed it. As I said earlier, the fridge and washer is the only slightly complicated part.
X-OEM,

I appreciate the advice I have actually watched rv geeks on YouTube do it but I need to freshen up on that. Also, thanks for the reminder about the fridge and washer. I need to find a service guy in my area also so I have lots to do.

Thanks again, David
Old 01-08-2017, 03:47 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some time ago I sent an email to Cummins about running the engine while stored.
Quote:
"Deen this is a very good question. From the perspective of the
Cummins engine it is good to do either one of two things:

1) Start the engine and drive it or 2) do not start the engine.

Our engines do not gain anything by idling. In fact a diesel engine
on low idle will not ever get up to operating temperatures which is
bad for the engine and can cause an increase in soot production.

The other side of the story is that starting the engine and letting it
idle is probably good for other things like air brakes, heating and
cooling, etc. So probably the best answer to try to get both worlds
to meet is to occasionally take the unit out for a drive during times
of prolonged storage."
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Some time ago I sent an email to Cummins about running the engine while stored.
Mr. D,

Thanks for the information and you remembering you had that and sending it to me. It's unfortunate because I leave for work early in the morning and get home late at night so very little time other than the weekends to take it out. However, I have discontinued starting it up and letting it idle and look forward to getting it back on the road again soon.

Thanks again sir, David

Tags
newmar