Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 08:42 AM   #1

Newmar rookie

Hi everybody I just joined the club as my wife and bought a 17 Newmar DS3724. We love the coach and everything about after many years of considering 2 other manufacturers. A few issues as in a inoperable gfci in the kitchen which would not allow the TV to work in the living room, and a antifreeze/coolant leak due to a loose clamp in the rear motor. Only 1 recall as of now so I think we are doing pretty good so far. Anyhow, I enjoy reading all of your comments and questions and I look forward to reading more. One question for the group. Is it a bad idea to start my coach while we aren't using as its in our storage garage but isn't climate controlled. I read it should only start it unless I'm going to drive it? Thanks for the help everybody and look forward to getting to know you all. Dave in Shelbyville, Ky
NEWMARDS3724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWMARDS3724 View Post
Hi everybody I just joined the club as my wife and bought a 17 Newmar DS3724. We love the coach and everything about after many years of considering 2 other manufacturers. A few issues as in a inoperable gfci in the kitchen which would not allow the TV to work in the living room, and a antifreeze/coolant leak due to a loose clamp in the rear motor. Only 1 recall as of now so I think we are doing pretty good so far. Anyhow, I enjoy reading all of your comments and questions and I look forward to reading more. One question for the group. Is it a bad idea to start my coach while we aren't using as its in our storage garage but isn't climate controlled. I read it should only start it unless I'm going to drive it? Thanks for the help everybody and look forward to getting to know you all. Dave in Shelbyville, Ky
Congratulations on your purchase.

I have been told that if you start it, drive it at least 20 to 30 miles to let all the "juices" flow and keep parts and rubber fittings pliable. This allows it to get up to operating temp in the tranny and engine. This also "exercises" your tires. You should also run your generator for about 45 min to an hour at least once a month for the same reasons. When you do, put some load on it like an air conditioning unit, heat pump unit. Take the load off after a while and let the generator "cool down" before turning it off.

I know the temptation to start the engine while in storage, but evidently it is not a good idea unless you are going to drive it.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #3

Don,

Thank you so much for the advice and I will take note of those 2 recommendations. Look forward to gaining more valuable information from you and others. Have a safe and healthy New Year. David
Old 01-07-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

Hey everyone,

Stupid question. If a unit has not been winterized is it a bad idea to run the Oasis for heating of the coach and basement while not in use? Simply to keep it warm and prevent freezing of any water in the lines even though it has been drained.

Thank you, David
Old 01-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #5

I would hesitate to provide a yes or no answer to you. A lot depends on where you live and what type of low temps you would experience.

I own a Newmar but not with an Oasis system. What is the lowest temp allowed by your thermostat? If you can't set that for say 40 degrees or so, (maybe even 37) the answer for me would be no. It would be on too much and use too much fuel. If you are in an area that regularly get down to 20 degrees or lower at night, again NO. If you are not plugged into electric, again no for other reasons besides temps. There is a small power draw on that system I would imagine - not sure how much but is probably a few amps at least.

Winterizing is not all that difficult, only "tricky" part is the residential fridge (if you have one) and the washer. Takes a little thinking. I use air to winterize mine as I do not want the pink stuff in the lines for the ice maker and washer. Any decent RV repair place can handle that for you for 50 bucks or so.

I would not consider your option, but where we live gets too cold for some stretches for that to be practical. I could use space heaters to do what you do as our storage has 30 amp power. But cold weather sometimes brings power outages, so why fret. Power is there to maintain batteries, but coach can be fine for extended periods with power off.

A LOT easier to sleep that way.

I am editing because I didn't ask if the coach was in your driveway. My answer MIGHT be different in that case. You could turn it on and off as needed. Requires babysitting the coach but doable.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #6

Thank you so much for the response. The mh is left in a covered garage although not climate controlled. Temps vary in the winter in Kentucky. Only reason I ask is that we have 3 to 4 days of 5-24 degree Temps. Mh is plugged into 50 amp and Oasis is at its setting of 40 degrees. I should probably utilize the air system to winterize as I also don't want the pink antifreeze. When Temps are above 25 outside Temps I usually just let it go and don't turn on the Oasis as I have a kerosine turbine heater blowing inside the basement at times.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #7

If you can walk outside to your coach, your plan is fine. If the storage is somewhere that you need your car to get to, then winterizing is the safest route. Also best for sleeping at night.

Have fun with the new coach
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #8

X-oem,

thank you for your quick response and best wishes. I hope you have a safe and happy new year.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:54 PM   #9

to the OP - just a side curiosity...

I went to the factory last Aug to see the only Dutch Star 3724 made this year (to that point). My understanding was that the coach went to California, and that there were no more of those floor plans sold. Did you get the only one?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dave

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Welcome to the Newmar family. Good luck with your new Dutch Star!

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
to the OP - just a side curiosity...

I went to the factory last Aug to see the only Dutch Star 3724 made this year (to that point). My understanding was that the coach went to California, and that there were no more of those floor plans sold. Did you get the only one?
I contacted Mt. Comfort rv in Indianapolis (because it was about the closet to Shelbyville, Ky) in August 2016. We considered the floor plan 3724 and 4054. Just because of price and layout ordered the 3724 with potential pickup mid October. Luckily it came the first week of October. It never really crossed my mind that Newmar hasn't manufactured many but I guess your right because I haven't seen any other than the 3736. I appreciate your interest and I am sure you could order one. We actually love the coach and it's plenty of room for use. Also, side note we had about six family members in the coach entertaining and never felt uncomfortable. We also considered a Tiffin Allegro bus with a similar length but so glad we choose Newmar.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Hi Dave

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Welcome to the Newmar family. Good luck with your new Dutch Star!

Happy Trails!!!
Thanks Tony we are as well and I appreciate the welcome. Looking forward to getting to know everyone on here and getting valuable advice.

David
Old 01-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWMARDS3724 View Post
I appreciate your interest and I am sure you could order one.
I had an agreement with Coachlight in Oct to order a DS 3724. I submitted my list of specials to the factory in early Nov, but there were too many denials, most significantly the dinette table.

With the forward slides in, the 'Extend a Leaf' dinette table seemed to block to the pathway down the middle of the coach (especially with 2 fixed chairs). And since I intend to be off grid a lot, that was a problem. In the specials I asked they change the dinette table to the 'Roll Away Table, but leave the leg off,' explaining that I would later add the leg & make it removable, but that was declined.

(on the 3724 floor plan the dinette table cannot have a fixed leg since it would drag across the floor as the slide is moved in or out)
Old 01-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
I had an agreement with Coachlight in Oct to order a DS 3724. I submitted my list of specials to the factory in early Nov, but there were too many denials, most significantly the dinette table.

With the forward slides in, the 'Extend a Leaf' dinette table seemed to block to the pathway down the middle of the coach (especially with 2 fixed chairs). And since I intend to be off grid a lot, that was a problem. In the specials I asked they change the dinette table to the 'Roll Away Table, but leave the leg off,' explaining that I would later add the leg & make it removable, but that was declined.

(on the 3724 floor plan the dinette table cannot have a fixed leg since it would drag across the floor as the slide is moved in or out)

I could definitely understand your concern on the dinette table it does get in the way and block the path. I don't have a problem with it but I think the wifey does. It's unfortunate they couldn't accommodate your request. I would assume possible the same issues would apply to the 4054? Or was it just the 3724 or nothing scenario?

Thank you, David

Tags
newmar