Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERod View Post
My wife and I are now retired and want to purchase our first coach. We recently toured the Tiffin factory and was very impressed with the quality of Tiffin coaches. Currently, we are considering an Allergro Bus 40IP, however a recent friend of ours purchased a Dutch Star 4018. He feels the Tag axle and Comfort Steering system and insulation makes it a better choice.
So, I have two questions: First, For the Bus owners out here do you feel driving your coach without having a Tag and comfort steering is a big deal especially in strong wind? Second, for the owners of Tiffin coaches who previously owned Newmar why did you switch?
The answer is YES! Their is a huge difference. If you don't like Newmar - look at the new Entegra's, I think they have seen the light and offer something similar. Plus Entegra's can be bought for 40% discounts - Newmar's can not. I bought the Newmar myself.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Second, for the owners of Tiffin coaches who previously owned Newmar why did you switch?
I'll bet for every former Newmar owner driving a Tiffin you will find 5 or 10 that went the other way. Tiffin makes a nice coach, but Newmar is better, in my opinion. If you visit the Newmar and Entegra factories, they both make the Tiffin factory look like chaos (I've been to all three). Newmar and Entegra give better access to factory service than Tiffin, and they have much better insulation. Don't underestimate the importance of insulation, it adds immensely to comfort and quietness.

Tiffin has good designs and good warranty service policies, but the above issues put them in third place in my opinion. Some of my Entegra-owning friends had Tiffins and say having owned an Entegra, they would never go back to a Tiffin.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #31

Newmar to Tiffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
+1 - would go to both factories Newmar / Enterga "only like 33 miles apart" and look at how each is build compared to Tiffin. Also ask the people their for service what they think - would they buy the same make again.

One major thing to think about is where your going to get the service done. A lot of dealers are not that great - so you'll most likely be going to the factory. Tiffin now has a 5 year limit on their service where Newmar / Enterga do not.
I looked seriously at the Newmar due to the slide system as my 2016 Bounder was nothing but trouble - 6 trips to Fleetwood and it still wasn't fixed. I got turned off by Newmar due to the cheap cabinets with the vinyl covering and when my wife felt behind the door frames, there were holes, not even solid wood but particle board. Also, I believe Newmar just got bought out by either Winnebago or Thor. So, who knows what the quality will be from now on. My replacement will be a Tiffin.
1PlasticMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:23 PM   #32

Newmar by Winnebago

Now that Newmar will be a Winnebago brand, I am curious how that might affect viewers opinions and responses to this post.
NIACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #33

Don’t need a tag axle. I have a 41 foot Newmar and love comfort Drive. You should be looking at floor plans however. You will be living in it to a much greater degree than driving it. Go with the floor plan you you can live with. Newmar and Tigfen are good coaches.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:47 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2014 4364 and it has 3 AC units on top and a 10K generator.
Schask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PlasticMan1 View Post
I looked seriously at the Newmar due to the slide system as my 2016 Bounder was nothing but trouble - 6 trips to Fleetwood and it still wasn't fixed. I got turned off by Newmar due to the cheap cabinets with the vinyl covering and when my wife felt behind the door frames, there were holes, not even solid wood but particle board. Also, I believe Newmar just got bought out by either Winnebago or Thor. So, who knows what the quality will be from now on. My replacement will be a Tiffin.

Newmar does use wrapped wood on some model base cabinets, but it is wrapped over a solid piece of softer wood. They do not use particle board in their cabinets.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #36

Look at warranties from both vendors. I found out the hard way Newmar does not warrant the final manufactured product they produce. You get one warranty for the chassis and another for the house. Daimler/FCCC will do everything in their power to not honor their warranty and what's worse their service network does not know how to care for the house components when servicing the chassis. Happy to share my legal documents supporting this with you.
raroblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:06 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
I am not an expert, just a couple that did the homework before buying, decided for a 2018 NEWMAR Ventana, we have driven for 2 years across 45 states, over 20,000 miles and NOTHING has gone wrong. Driveability is excellent, interior noice is very low, flat-towing is easy, interior confort for 2 is great. All those little details that have surfaced during this period, our Newmar advisor has responded fast and effective.
Before buying, Tiffin had more and diverse floor plans and exterior colors were very appealing; yet in hindsight, we did the right choice.
RCouttolenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:32 PM   #38

I like the style of the tiffin bus and some of the floor plans are really easy to get around with that said I wouldn’t change one thing on DSDP

Zzotte
Old 12-05-2019, 07:45 PM   #39

Spartan Chassis
Comfort Drive

I can't speak to Tiffin vs Newmar but I have driven my neighbors Newmar Kingaire. The comfort drive in the Newmar really makes it like you are driving a much smaller vehicle. Driving his 6-8 hrs a day was much more relaxing than my 40' Fleetwood.
maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:55 AM   #40

Newmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIACC View Post
Now that Newmar will be a Winnebago brand, I am curious how that might affect viewers opinions and responses to this post.
I've wondered the same thing. Entegra is a Jayco I believe and Newmar being a Winnie now, both seem to be more expensive than a comparable Tiffin. I've read you can eat off the floors of the Newmar plant, but the Tiffin plant seems dirty and disorganized a bit. We like our Tiffin but really like the looks of the other two as well.
Hard to beat the support Bob Tiffin provides when things go bad. It all comes down to a personal choice at the end of the day...
JETCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:07 AM   #41

jwhyde Phaeton 40

Quote:
My wife and I are now retired and want to purchase our first coach. We recently toured the Tiffin factory and was very impressed with the quality of Tiffin coaches. Currently, we are considering an Allergro Bus 40IP, however a recent friend of ours purchased a Dutch Star 4018. He feels the Tag axle and Comfort Steering system and insulation makes it a better choice.
So, I have two questions: First, For the Bus owners out here do you feel driving your coach without having a Tag and comfort steering is a big deal especially in strong wind? Second, for the owners of Tiffin coaches who previously owned Newmar why did you switch?
We have owned two 40 ' Tiffins ( Allegro Buss & Phaeton ) & a Winnebago 38' Luxor--checked out all factories ...narrowed it down to Tiffin or Winnebago...went with Tiffin due to the proximity of our home in North Florida. The Phaeton we now own has over 100,000 miles on it and the largest expense was a waterpump $ 1200. We bought it from the original owner ---It was religiously maintained. If you buy used or new odds are you will eventually have to go to the factory
J. W. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:22 AM   #42

Tiffin or Newmar

I went with Tiffin and Freighliner for the service. I live close to Spartanburg for factory Freightliner sevice and Red Bay is a day drive for factory service. Both have many floor plans and are quality manufactures. If Newmar was close I would have gone with them.
Jaxc2 is offline   Reply With Quote