Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Not sure about the particular inverter in the OP's coach but most modern inverter/charger combo units used in motorhomes have an internal transfer switch. So, when the coach is connected to shore power (or with generator running) the inverter function is bypassed and those 'inverter' outlets are shore power. Only when there is no shore power connected will the inverter actually use battery power to provide AC to outlets on the inverter circuit.

At least that is the way my Magnum Energy inverter/charger works.
Yes, very true indeed. But what happened to us was the campground lost electrical power for a few minutes and the inverter kicked in and zap, there went the blanket controller. The old electric blankets had mechanical controllers and were not effected, but all but a few now use electronic controllers.

If you happen to have a good quality "pure sine wave" inverter you don't have to worry as much.

BTW, our new Keurig coffee maker doesn't like the modified sine wave current either. Nor does the electric heater.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #30
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
We're going on a 10 day Christmas trip and will be in a CG. We will have 50amp service. Our dual Coleman overhead ducked heating system works fairly well but my wife like its toasty. I have read other posts for insulating tips and will be using plastic over all the inside windows but would like to also get a nice space heater that we'd put in the galley, point it towards the bedroom and let it blow that way.

So thinking out loud here concerning the available 50amp:

• approx. 28-30amps goes to the Colemans at night

• 8amps or so to a heated blanket

• 8-10amps to a space heater

So with that approx. power draw, yet a heater large enough with a good fan to blow towards the bedroom can anyone suggest a proven space heater that they have used?

Thanks everyone.

The heat pumps won't heat when outside temp is much below 40....why not just use your propane furnace?

You say you have a small dog.....makes me think a portable electric heater is not a good choice around pets .....to much chance for it to get tipped over, or cord to get chewed, etc...
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:32 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
On many coaches, the heat for the wet bay comes from one of the furnaces (rear). I use a fireplace and space heaters, but if temperature is below freezing make sure that the temperature adjustments are such that your propane furnace that feeds the wet bay is running.

Else, better put an electrical light in the wetbay to keep things warm .
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:43 AM   #32

We use small fan driven electric heaters from Vornado (750 watts) and we have three of them, one in each room/area, including the bedroom. The lower wattage allows you to have more of them and that is the ultimate way to heat every room. The only thing I wish is finding ones like this that have a thermostat. Ours are just on/off and high/low.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #33

Dr Infrared Heater Portable Space Heater, 1500-Watt

very happy with this unit. Quiet and safe for pets.
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I prefer a oil filled heater. Quiet and no red glow to have to look at when in bed
I think it is a better quality heat too. Not as dry, less fire hazard, all good
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #35

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Two concerns regarding space heaters

1: Many RV's do not have a lot of "Circuits" and all outlets or most may be on the same breaker, a 1500 Watt herter is 12 amps.. you can quickly go over the 15 amp limit if anything else is plugged in and CLICK it goes dark.

2: I found that the outlets in my RV, which are the common Quick Box.. Really did not like 12 amp loads.. Ok with the heater on low but on HIGH I smelled overheated wiring... Did not take me long to correct it but be very cautious using space heaters in RVs.
That's one of the things we like about our oil filled electric radiant heaters, there is a 900 watt setting and 1500 watt setting, we've never even tried the 1500 watt setting as we started out with them on 900 watts and they worked so well we've never felt the need to go with 1500. We're using them with a 30 amp RV and have no problem using the rest of our electrical appliances including the water heater while using the heaters to stay comfortable.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #36

Be careful with a small heater around bedding. A friend of ours had his blanket slip down and it touched the heater at the foot of the bed. He woke to a smoldering smell - very lucky.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #37

another happy vornado owner here
it's so quiet
variable speed fan
hi/lo
thermostat
tip protection
luv it!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
So thinking out loud here concerning the available 50amp:
• approx. 28-30amps goes to the Colemans at night
• 8amps or so to a heated blanket
• 8-10amps to a space heater
Your 8 amps for an electric blanket is way off. I just plugged mine into a kill-a-watt and it's using .92 amps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
1: Many RV's do not have a lot of "Circuits" and all outlets or most may be on the same breaker, a 1500 Watt herter is 12 amps.. you can quickly go over the 15 amp limit if anything else is plugged in and CLICK it goes dark.
In that vein...our inverter circuit has a 30-amp breaker on it. So when we use three space heaters, we're very careful about which outlets we use. We have one non-inverter plug available, so we use that. For the other two heaters, we make sure each one is on a different circuit (but both are on the inverter circuit).
oatmeal is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, ems, heat, heater