Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2018, 07:27 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nice Coach - No Service Records

I'm looking at a 2015 coach, you might say our dream coach. The only service records produced so far are directly related to warranty work done at the dealership. I've expressed to the salesman a week ago the need for all service records. So far no indication we are close to getting those records.

I see two options:

The first option is to walk away and hope I get my $1000 deposit back.

The second option is to renegotiate the price to reflect a reduced value. Are there any authoritative resources to address the valuable coach without sufficient service records?

This is a tough one for us. We've spent a lot of the time looking for I'll coach like this and then a few days at the dealership looking at the coach itself and working out logistics. Yes, we are emotionally invested and that makes this really suck.

I am holding out hold hope that the owner of the coach (this is a consignment sale) has the records we need.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #2

I have been told that dealers are not allowed to give that information away because of privacy infringement. Sounds like a crock to me. Being that this is only a couple years old I would think you could look at things like mileage and how things have been taken care of and make a sound decision from that. I would press the issue of the original owners to come forward with records but it just may not happen. Is there any type of warranty if you move forward? You give no indication what type of coach this is so that isn't much help.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #3

I experienced the same thing when I bought my coach. The chassis and engine were still under warranty so that relieved me of those worries. The house I spent 2 day testing and inspecting. Because my coach only had 11k miles there was not a lot of regular maintenance required. I did the oil change on the way home. The original selling dealer (North Trail) would not tell me anything except it did have Tyron bands installed. Newmar and Spartan were both very helpful.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #4

Hmm. It's not that old, and doesn't have lots of miles. Having it checked at another shop/dealer could tell you more.

Authorities to compel the dealer/PO to give you records? Do you mean like a sales manager, or more along the lines of a gov't agency??

I hope it's sales manager, as legally requiring private vehicle owners to retain service records for a non-commercial vehicle is a supreme court case you want NO part of...

Moving on... Seems like you are set on it, I'd have a 3rd party check it over, and work with the sales department based on what they find.

However, if the dealer HAS the records, but won't release them with the sale, ask that the salesman go thru the stack and redact the PO information. This happens all of the time with vehicles.

When I purchased my last Audi, the PO gave me a stack of papers with his name & numbers blacked out.

If the PO didn't give the dealer the records on trade in, sorry to say, but I'll bet you will never get your hands on them.

Best of Luck!
Houdoxi71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm looking at a 2015 coach, you might say our dream coach. The only service records produced so far are directly related to warranty work done at the dealership. I've expressed to the salesman a week ago the need for all service records. So far no indication we are close to getting those records.

I see two options:

The first option is to walk away and hope I get my $1000 deposit back.

The second option is to renegotiate the price to reflect a reduced value. Are there any authoritative resources to address the valuable coach without sufficient service records?

This is a tough one for us. We've spent a lot of the time looking for I'll coach like this and then a few days at the dealership looking at the coach itself and working out logistics. Yes, we are emotionally invested and that makes this really suck.

I am holding out hold hope that the owner of the coach (this is a consignment sale) has the records we need.
Skyboss,
This of course is up to you if you choose to walk away from and otherwise perfect choice coach for you and yours, due to the lack of producing any service records. We purchased our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, and 40K miles, WITHOUT any service records. Purchasing something like this coach, without any service records for me, was not a deal breaker. Yes, I know that there can be unforeseen potential issues but, my thoughts in this kind of situation are, if the coach inspects really well, drives really well, all appliances work as they're supposed to, all electrical systems work as designed, i.e. Inverter/charger systems, engine charging systems, battery systems, generator systems etc., the tires are in a DOT date that is tolerable, water pump, fawcetts, toilet(s) , heaters, A/C unit(s), brakes and auxiliary brakes i.e. Jake or Exhaust brake, and more, then you more than likely have a coach that's going to be just fine.

From then on, it's simple, do your own service. That's a complete oil/filter change, fuel filter(s) change, air filter change, belt(s) change, complete chassis lube, air dryer service, brake shoes/pads inspection, and a few other pertinent items. If the engine has good oil pressure, runs smoothly, with no significant noises (yeah I know, diesels are noisy anyways) starts easily, all dash lights/icons light initially but soon disappear after the engine is started, all turn signals/flashers/lights/brake lights/ work fine, that's a pretty thorough check.

Oh, by the way, do an air test too. That is, bleed the air system down to zero psi. Then, start the engine, and run it at increased idle speed, around 1,000 rpms. The compressor should build to max psi, around 125-130 psi in under 2 minutes. And, while the pressure is rising from zero psi, you can test to see just when your "low air" warning light stops buzzing, normally around 60 psi. You can bleed the system down by simply pumping on the brake pedal rapidly 'till the gauges show zero. And, if you leave your parking brake OFF while starting to bleed down the system, that parking brake valve should POP OUT (and apply the parking brakes) at or about 30 psi. So, that's a good air test.

Anyway, once all this is complete and, anything you've tested works, and no issues driving it, all awnings work fine, all slides extend and retract with no issues, and of course, the leveling system works as designed, you're pretty much covered as to the condition of the coach. Service records are great, for past service. But, to make sure EVERYTHING works as it's supposed to, there's nothing like a good shakedown inspection and cruise to really inspire confidence in the present condition of a coach. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I guess I'm in the camp of missing service records are not a deal breaker. Nice to have=yes, but not having them wouldn't keep me from buying an RV I want. I would want my dealer to protect my privacy if I had traded in my coach & someone else was buying it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd have it gone over from stem to stern by a trusted rv tech & if I were concerned about future high dollar repairs, I'd invest in a good extended warranty policy.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:46 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I guess I'm in the camp of missing service records are not a deal breaker. Nice to have=yes, but not having them wouldn't keep me from buying an RV I want. I would want my dealer to protect my privacy if I had traded in my coach & someone else was buying it.

If I were in your shoes, I'd have it gone over from stem to stern by a trusted rv tech & if I were concerned about future high dollar repairs, I'd invest in a good extended warranty policy.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Lori-
I appreciate that you in a few others up early said that having records is not a dealbreaker. Certainly I should've said that was the third option.

I'm most concerned about the extended warranty policy not covering a major issue without proof proper service. If it were not for that and having driven and seeing the coach I wouldn't think too much about not having the records.

I do have plans to have it inspected by a professional.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #8

Good luck. ..I wouldn't make service records a deal breaker for such a newer coach either

Hope it goes off without a problem
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #9

I would also take into consideration how the MH was kept up as a whole. If it is in perfect condition otherwise I would think that they took care of the rest of the maintenance as well. That would not be a deal breaker for me. I do all my own maintenance and keep my own records but I guess someone could say I just made them up.

Most aftermarket warranty companies, as it would not be an extended warranty, require a pre inspection anyway and then everything starts from the day you bought it and they inspected it. So that would be an option you might want to check out.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:54 AM   #10

If you like it and the inspection goes well, write the check, take it home and start enjoying it. I am not a fan of Extended service contracts, so that's a no-issue. Just go with your gut feeling.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:11 AM   #11

When we traded in our last coach, I had all my service records at home, and retained them in case the dealership or buyer wanted them. I wasn't even going to the bother of redacting personal info for no value received. Nobody ever asked and I've since put them in the shredder.

As a buyer, I put them in the category of nice, but not necessary. Condition is everything. Just because a paper trail exists doesn't mean a maintenance activity was done properly. And no paper will ever tell you if the job was done by a motivated, experienced tech or a trainee who was serving french fries last week. (No disrespect to fry servers intended, they are some of my favorite people)
Old 06-06-2018, 06:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
Good luck. ..I wouldn't make service records a deal breaker for such a newer coach either

Hope it goes off without a problem

I feel the same .... not a deal breaker for me. I start with the realization that all regular service is required. If I can negotiate that into the sale, I'm good to go. Folks (me included) buy a house with nothing but a decent inspection and some money in reserve for the stuff you need/want to do.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:20 AM   #13

It seems that is the new trend at dealerships these days. I know other people who bought used MH's and there were no service records. Most people keep a journal of the service. But for some reason (maybe legal) the dealers remove the records from the MH. Most people who own a MH are very good at keeping it serviced as it's their baby.
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:27 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks you all!

Perhaps my 2 previous purchases were both unusual in that I got the records. In the case of our current one I got direct contact with the owner.

I'm feeling a bit better about it all.

Tags
service