Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2020, 04:30 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
NIRVC and keeping their word

I have always read good things about NIRVC so I was pleased when they opened a place near me.

I purchased a 1 ½ years old Newmar and was please that it included a 60 day warranty. Noted a couple of serious things on the initial check out trip we took. As we had a long trip planned they disconnect the keypad on the door, which was causing the serious issues, as the parts would not be in before we had to leave. No problem.

On the trip, I noted several other items and when I contacted NIRVC for each one, I was just to keep a list and they would take care of it. So I stopped telling them every time I found something and just kept a list. It sure seemed like original owners never took the coach in for anything when it was new. Can’t prove that but sure seemed like it. Of course the 60 day warranty was up before I could get an appointment with the service dept.

When I took the coach in, the service advisor went through the entire list and called the PDI manager over the make sure it was covered which he did approve. Now it is 4 months later (yes the coach is still there) and they are telling me that they went through every email I have sent them and because I did not send them documentation of everything before the warranty was up that not only are they not going to fix everything but are going to charge me for some of the work they have done.

Has anyone else had issues like this or suggestions or recourse? I guess I had higher expectations of them keeping their word than NIRVC has of keeping their word.
Daddobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2020, 05:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I understand their initial position of not contacting them each time you found an issue but I would have made sure they had my list in hand with a confirmation of receipt prior to the end of the warrantee period. Without that who's to say when the issue arose. Hopefully you will come to a resolution soon and good luck.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I understand their initial position of not contacting them each time you found an issue but I would have made sure they had my list in hand with a confirmation of receipt prior to the end of the warrantee period.
I agree. That and if the request to me to just keep a list was verbal, I would have asked to have an email sent to me confirming that request in writing or I would have sent an email to a person of authority in the dealership asking for a confirmation of how they wanted my list handled to ensure warranty coverage.

While I agree that even a verbal direction from them should be good enough, it's not the way most business is going to be done. Trust but verify!
Old 02-21-2020, 04:55 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The owner of NIRVC often reads this forum. Don’t be shocked if you hear from him if he is sympathetic to your cause.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
The owner of NIRVC often reads this forum. Don’t be shocked if you hear from him if he is sympathetic to your cause.
X 2. You will not find a man more dedicated to making "customers for life". I believe NIRVC will do what is right for the OP.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:45 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the response. I would have thought that after going through every item and getting the OK from the PDI manager that this would have been enough. There were no questions about timing when I dropped it off. The only explanation I can come up with is that they ( as the service manager stated in the email he sent to me) have already spent too much money fixing the coach.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Certainly further discussion up the food chain may be the next step if the repairs were approved when the Coach was dropped off. Considering how touchy warranty issues can be with anything, having the list in their Inbox and receipt confirmed would have circumvented a dispute. I realize it’s past that at this point but just wanted to mention it again so others may avoid a similar situation

Best of luck in rectifying the issues and I hope you get your rig back soon.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You mentioned you were going on a long trip. How long? If just a week or two over the 60 day warranty that is one thing. But if several months than all the more I think they had the right to question some of the repairs.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:41 AM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddobbs View Post
Thanks for the response. I would have thought that after going through every item and getting the OK from the PDI manager that this would have been enough. There were no questions about timing when I dropped it off. The only explanation I can come up with is that they ( as the service manager stated in the email he sent to me) have already spent too much money fixing the coach.
That would be the stuff they should have fixed prior to the sale? Or is it primarily stuff that failed after you started using the items?

I'd guess that the pre-sales repair costs are charged at a reduced rate to the sales department. Since this is now post-sales costs there may be some internal wrangling going on over who is going to absorb those costs.

Ray
Old 02-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The difference between the end of their warranty (which to them also included the 2 weeks it spent in the shop a week after we got it) and the last notification I sent them was 14 days. I was not even able to get an appointment for repair for 5 weeks after that. Which time the coach sat in my driveway. The part they are refusing to repair is a broken bracket on the hydraulic entry steps. It is very apparent the bracket has been broken for a while.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddobbs View Post
The difference between the end of their warranty (which to them also included the 2 weeks it spent in the shop a week after we got it) and the last notification I sent them was 14 days. I was not even able to get an appointment for repair for 5 weeks after that. Which time the coach sat in my driveway. The part they are refusing to repair is a broken bracket on the hydraulic entry steps. It is very apparent the bracket has been broken for a while.
the

Wow,I'm sure glad I saw this post.....as I'm looking to trade my 2017 MA in on a 2020 MA and was going to go to NIRVC....to make a Deal....Guess will move on to a dealer with a better track record that I also read about on here
Thanks again,...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't know if I would write off a dealership on one complaint. There are always two sides to every story.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I would agree to not just write them off. I have always heard good thing about them. Ends up that they are just like any other dealer. Don’t take them at their verbal word. Get it in writing and document, document, document.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster52 View Post
the

Wow,I'm sure glad I saw this post.....as I'm looking to trade my 2017 MA in on a 2020 MA and was going to go to NIRVC....to make a Deal....Guess will move on to a dealer with a better track record that I also read about on here
Thanks again,...C

NIRVC is well regarded because they get so much right the first time and honor their contracts if they screw up. We're only hearing one side of this story; any rush to judgment is highly premature.