Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #1

Nitrogen in Tires

Anybody using nitrogen in RV tires. The benefit being not as much fluctuations in psi due to changing air temperature. I know my rig will Chang from 100psi in am when 60 dregs then when driving for hour with temp at 75 degrees psi will increase to 110 or higher. Maybe a benefit to change to nitrogen?

Jim
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO nitrogen is a marketing tool. There can be some very persuasive arguments. Air is already 80% nitrogen so the benefit of the 20% change would be minor.

One of the things they say is the tires will lose less pressure because the nitrogen molecule is bigger. Using deductive reasoning then only oxygen and CO2 molecules will leak. So when you top up the tire pressure you are adding a large percentage of nitrogen and a small percentage of the other gases. After several fillings you should be close to pure nitrogen. At least in theory!!! LOL

Tires are supposed to warm up with use. Having the correct inflation of the tires will have more effect on tire temperature than nitrogen.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO nitrogen is a marketing tool. Air is already 80% nitrogen so the benefit of the 20% change would be minor.

Tires are supposed to warm up with use. Having the correct inflation of the tires will have more effect on tire temperature than nitrogen.
I agree completely. Plus, what happens when you need to add air at some point? Do you now have to go back and remove the "contaminated" and pay to refill with nitrogen?
IMHO, since my coach stays under 30,000 feet, I have no need for nitrogen in my tires.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The main benefit of nitrogen is that it's dry. Most of the air compressors out there don't have an air dryer on them so you get the moisture in your tires which could lead to rust forming in the steel belts and cause a blowout. Put a GOOD air/water separator on your compressor and you shouldn't have any problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A search on nitrogen will find several related discussions.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
Anybody using nitrogen in RV tires. The benefit being not as much fluctuations in psi due to changing air temperature. I know my rig will Chang from 100psi in am when 60 dregs then when driving for hour with temp at 75 degrees psi will increase to 110 or higher. Maybe a benefit to change to nitrogen?

Jim
It works period. The nay sayers have never tried it. My tires and ride like 85 psi, once warmed they rise to 95 psi along with a rougher ride.
I have had to use nitrogen in pressure testing for government jobs that required 24hr test using a Bristol type paper recorder. When using only compressed air the changes from the suns heat resulted in a failed test. I use it in my Viper as most track and Nascar drivers do also. I recently filled my front RV tires with a 80% nitrogen 20% argon mix (free mix x2). I'll report my findings next trip.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
Anybody using nitrogen in RV tires............ Maybe a benefit to change to nitrogen?..........Jim

Yes, definitely beneficial if:

1). You're in NASCAR and habitually operate in the 150-200 mph range; or

2). You own an aircraft that typically operates in or transitions through temperature ranges from surface ambient to -55F; otherwise

It's not a TOTAL waste of time/money, but pretty close, IMNSHO.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hurk;

When you fill up your tires with good-ole compressed air, you are putting 80% nitrogen in your tires. There is no real advantage to you paying someone to fill your tires with 100% nitrogen.

On the other hand, there is a HUGE financial advantage to the person your buying it from.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #9

For RV use, it is a gimmick. I was a sucker and had the local Goodyear dealer air up my tires with nitrogen thinking to reduce the pressure rise from rolling on the hot asphalt. What a joke that was. With compressed air, my front tires will rise from 115 psi at 60 degrees up to 138-140 psi on a hot day at 63 mph. With nitrogen, they went from 115 up to 135+ psi. So, I guess you could say it worked if that 3 psi is important to you. It wasn't to me, especially after a Micheln rep told me the pressure increase I was having was normal and not to be concerned as long as the cold psi was at or above the minimum for the load the tire was carrying. As far as air leaking out over time, it has been a year since I have had to add or release air from the coach.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
A solution for a non-existent problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The main benefit of nitrogen is that it's dry. Most of the air compressors out there don't have an air dryer on them so you get the moisture in your tires which could lead to rust forming in the steel belts and cause a blowout. Put a GOOD air/water separator on your compressor and you shouldn't have any problems.

I do not agree, your steel belts are molded within the rubber, they will not rust, I would really like to know where you heard this

Nitrogen is a marketing gimmick
Old 09-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #12

Nitrogen in tires, special fabric protectors, high priced paint waxes, extended warranties on brand new vehicles. All are ways to separate you from your money. If it makes you feel better spend the money and have a good day.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #13

I use helium. Makes the coach lighter and increased my mileage to 11.

Of course I have to fill the tires 3x a day because those little He atom rascals escape faster
Old 09-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
If your steel belts rust causing a blowout, you have a problem because the steel belts are totally encased in the material of the tire, no steel belting is exposed inside or out.
trikeleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires