Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2022, 05:35 PM   #1

No 12v DC

I have no 12v DC thus I have no 12v lighting, no way to open the slides, no way to start the Generator, or anything else on the control panel. I have a Magnum Inverter/Charger which seems to be operating normally charging the batteries and supplying 115v for the residential refrigerator. I can start the Coach and the 12v DC returns. I have checked every fuse I can find, and all the breakers and all
are okay. New batteries installed on 4-11 and been working on this issue since.
Any idea's. What am I missing.
RHHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2022, 05:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHHarrison View Post
I have no 12v DC thus I have no 12v lighting, no way to open the slides, no way to start the Generator, or anything else on the control panel. I have a Magnum Inverter/Charger which seems to be operating normally charging the batteries and supplying 115v for the residential refrigerator. I can start the Coach and the 12v DC returns. I have checked every fuse I can find, and all the breakers and all
are okay. New batteries installed on 4-11 and been working on this issue since.
Any idea's. What am I missing.
Sounds like salesman switch.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:56 PM   #3

Agree with salemans SW. Near front entrance , but closes solenoid at 12v main bay/area. If solenoid is dead put both cables on one lug or bolt them together and tape up , leave a bent over flag to make easy to peel later. Some times flicking switch a bunch can help or firm tap on solenoid get you by.
2nd could be a manual house disconnect has died. Same plan works as above to bypass it.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try the 12v switch by.the entry door. But typically slides and genny start are not controlled by it. And since everything works with engine running making the chassis battery/alternator power the coach if it was the switch lights and such would likely still not work.

That the inverter works indicates the battery bank itself is ok. The inverter/charger is often directly connected to battrry bank and not sharing the house connection to the battery bank.

Power from the house bank is being blocked to house and other functions. Bad house main disconnect switch. Large catastrophic fail fuse for the battery bank - typically a 300a ANL or similar. Cable connection.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:51 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RHHarrison said:

" New batteries installed on 4-11 and been working on this issue since. "

Did the problem exist before you changed the batteries?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 04:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
RHHarrison said:

" New batteries installed on 4-11 and been working on this issue since. "

Did the problem exist before you changed the batteries?
^This. My guess is when they changed the batteries they left off one of the cables. There’s more than 2 or 3 cables going to the batteries, I bet one of them is hanging down in the battery box or somewhere in the area.

Once I had the negative ground cable come off at the frame and had no coach 12v. Might check that too.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioP View Post
^This. My guess is when they changed the batteries they left off one of the cables. There’s more than 2 or 3 cables going to the batteries, I bet one of them is hanging down in the battery box or somewhere in the area.

Once I had the negative ground cable come off at the frame and had no coach 12v. Might check that too.
This may be the problem.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:03 PM   #8

No lights
No slide power
No gen start power
Nothing works on control panel
Batteries charging
115 volts to refer

These observations are not likely. Check conditions and verify. It is unlikely batteries are charging under these conditions.

All non-working 12 volts begin working when chassis engine is started.
This means frame ground for 12 volt distribution panel is good.
This means all 12 volt distribution panel fuses are OK.
Chassis to House bridge is working OK.

Are you sure batteries are charging with RV engine "off"?

How do you know? Magnum is unlikely to charge batteries and not supply house 12 volt appliances.

Battery charging would probably come from Magnum or from Engine.
Are you plugged into shore power? Magnum will only charge if on shore power or generator power. At the same time it supplies 12 volts to house appliances.

If not on shore power or gen power, Magnum will invert 12 to 120 volts and possibly supply 120 volts to refer. Magnum charger will be "off".
If on shore power or gen power, refer will get 120 volts from shore power.
Is there another charger, maybe solar or another built in?

Please answer questions for better advice.

Battery bank connects to:
Bridge circuit to chassis
Magnum
House distribution panel

They may be connected in many ways. Follow battery connecting wires, both positive and ground.

Check connections for tightness and corrosion.

Check voltage along the way.

Voltage should be the same as battery terminal voltage. Any place voltage changes or is lost is suspect.

Plug into shore power or start gen. Check voltage on battery terminals using a portable voltmeter with the RV engine "off" for a couple of hours.

Check DC voltage on the 12 volt Magnum terminals. 12 volt terminal on Magnum should have same voltage as battery terminals.

If not, big fuse between battery and Magnum may be blown. Check voltage on each side of fuse. If voltage is different, fuse may be the issue.

Check AC voltage at the pedestal or gen, which ever is being used as the power source. Voltage at pedestal and 120 volt input and output on Magnum should all be the same.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:07 AM   #9

Found the problem. The BUSS AMG 250A 32V Fuse bad. All is well. Thanks for the heads up on the salesmen switch. Pulled it out and worked my way back.
RHHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update, glad to hear you found the problem.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHHarrison View Post
Found the problem. The BUSS AMG 250A 32V Fuse bad. All is well. Thanks for the heads up on the salesmen switch. Pulled it out and worked my way back.
Fuses don't go "bad"...something blew it from a short. Very likely when the batteries were recently replaced someone shorted the wiring to ground...250A fuses take a direct welding / sparking short to fry.

Tags
12v