Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Cek

No AC power when plugged into shore power

I have no power to the refrigerator, microwave and most outlets when plugged into shore power. My load indicator shows that its plugged in and has 50 amps but nothing will work. It will only run on the coach batteries and will run them down. It will not charge the coach batteries either? They are brand new this was the first trip with them. I've had the rv for 3 years with no problems. This was our second trip out this year worked fine first trip.

Same thing happens when I run on genset power.

2005 fleetwood Discovery 39A inverter/charger is a xantrex freedom 458

I've checked the breakers and GFCI breakers all are good.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Have you check the 12 volt fuses on the box where the breakers are?
Old 05-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Plug a 110 meter into the box to be sure that there is elect. coming out.
Just a thought.
Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Cek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster1 View Post
Have you check the 12 volt fuses on the box where the breakers are?
Yes. I pulled each one.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Cek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Walter View Post
Plug a 110 meter into the box to be sure that there is elect. coming out.
Just a thought.

There is shore power getting into the motorhome. It register on the load meter in the front cabinet.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #6

Sounds like the transfer switch is hung up. Give it a few taps between plug ins.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Cek,
2X on what Coaster1 posted. Based on the information in the OP, the choke point is the transfer switch. Take the cover off and check the incoming VAC and then check the out bound VAC. This should be easy to diagnose.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cek View Post

I have no power to the refrigerator, microwave and most outlets when plugged into shore power. My load indicator shows that its plugged in and has 50 amps but nothing will work. It will only run on the coach batteries and will run them down. It will not charge the coach batteries either? They are brand new this was the first trip with them. I've had the rv for 3 years with no problems. This was our second trip out this year worked fine first trip.

Same thing happens when I run on genset power.

2005 fleetwood Discovery 39A inverter/charger is a xantrex freedom 458

I've checked the breakers and GFCI breakers all are good.

Any help would be appreciated.
It won't be your transfer switch as stated by one poster as the transfer switch uses different contacts for the generator versus shore power.

I would take a close look at your inverter to make sure that the circuit breakers are working correctly. Some have small push buttons and other may have something else depending on what make of inverter you have.

Your inverter is a pass-through device for the 120 VAC power no matter whether its coming from shore or generator. However, the circuit breakers have to be working for it to pass power.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
Cek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
It won't be your transfer switch as stated by one poster as the transfer switch uses different contacts for the generator versus shore power.

I would take a close look at your inverter to make sure that the circuit breakers are working correctly. Some have small push buttons and other may have something else depending on what make of inverter you have.

Your inverter is a pass-through device for the 120 VAC power no matter whether its coming from shore or generator. However, the circuit breakers have to be working for it to pass power.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Both breakers are fine and the white circuit breaker (w/25 on it) seems to be ok.

Why would I not have any AC power when plugged in or when running the genset? That's the part that has me thrown?....

Does all power run though the inverter? Gen power and shore power?
Old 05-27-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
YC1

Ditto Richards comments. Adding that the manual shows in some cases the use of GFCI breakers the power may pass through.

One thing to try is to unplug shoreline and then turn batteries off. Not just a switch by the door but get them offline completely even if that means disconnecting the ground leads of the batteries. Sometimes they just get confused.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
Cek

The code that's flashing on the inverter says battery voltage shutdown.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If the circuit breaker on your generator has tripped, that would explain why you are not getting any power from the generator.

If that is the case, then it could very well be your transfer switch.

Let us know what you find.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
Cek

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Ditto Richards comments. Adding that the manual shows in some cases the use of GFCI breakers the power may pass through.

One thing to try is to unplug shoreline and then turn batteries off. Not just a switch by the door but get them offline completely even if that means disconnecting the ground leads of the batteries. Sometimes they just get confused.

I actually did that. I replaced the batteries this weekend thinking that was the problem. They were out for 30 minutes or so.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #14

I'm still thinking xfer switch, but need some more info. Actually plug something into the pedestal to see its working, sounds stupid but its amazing what passes for RV park PM on electrical. If you have shore power:
First, turn everything OFF. Inverter, unplug from shore or shut off the breaker, battery switches, everything dead. Go to inverter turn Charger OFF, Inverter OFF. Then starting w/battery switches & plugging into shore last, turn everything back ON. If the problem went away, it was some computer brain fart.
Second, (if First don't cut it) you'll need to start at the pedestal and follow the path of the electricity checking as you go.

Another common issue: AC is coming in, and there are some outlets that have power, but the ones you named are all on the inverter. Generally your air conditioner is not, try that if you don't know where there is a non-inverter outlet (if you know which outlet(s) is(are) not inverted try an appliance there). If you have shore &/or gen power to the non-inverter stuff then the problem is at the A/C landing at the inverter or the internal transfer switch in the inverter itself (when working properly power goes in, transfers back out, when no shore or gen present but inverter is ON, then the inverter xfer switch transfers the inverted 120V out). Could be the 120V into inverter is bad, could be it is landing there but not being read properly to transfer out.

Did you say you tried the inverter producing 120V? I missed that if you did; if not then try Inverter ON & check micro & misc stuff (entertainment equip, etc.).

Tags
power