Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2021, 09:41 PM   #1

No DC Inverter Screen

Hello

I have a Class A Damon Challenger 38'.

I replaced the Prosine 2.0 inverter with a Freedom XC 2000. It was pretty much plug and play. Everything worked, shore power, DC, battery charging and all appliances. The display showed everything.

I disconnected from shore power. I picked up the unit and tried to mount it. Some wires crossed and the display went dark. My wife said she heard something pop in the engine area. I checked power at the large fuse and I had positive coming in from battery and out to inverter. I checked AC in and out.

I disconnected the positive from the huge fuse and from the inverter. Mounted the unit and reconnected to the fuse and inverter. Plugged to shore power and the display and all inverted items worked. I disconnected from shore power and the display didn't work. The lights worked but none of the inverted items worked.

I assume I blew something in the engine area and I was wondering where to start. I haven't gotten to take a look yet.

Thanks for your help.
Whimppeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2021, 04:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm having a bit of a hard time keeping up with everything but......

Does the MH start without boost?
Are you positive the house batteries are making it all the way to the inverter?
I guess it's likely that something going to solenoid popped when you shorted.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:51 PM   #3

I will check again. I put a meter on both sides of the fuse and got 12ish. I also had lights in the RV.

I also contacted Xantrex who told me to check for a fuse in the positive cable near the batteries.

I will follow up when I get a chance.

I appreciate your help.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #4

If you put both meter probes, one on each side of the fuse, and read 12 volts, that fuse is bad.

If you placed one probe on ground and the other on each side of the fuse, then the fuse is good.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #5

Thanks Twinboats. I'm pretty sure I did the ground version. I would be afraid of touching both sides. But now that I know it's not a big deal, I would.

Also the MH started without any boost. We had to move it to allow another MH out of our row at storage. And I'm pretty sure the interior lights were working.

I will check these items.

I appreciate all the help.
Old 02-02-2021, 07:18 AM   #6

Do you have DC at the inverter from the batteries?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

Yes. I had DC at the inverter and on each side of the fuse.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #8

Just an update. I metered everything along the DC cables and had 12v at everything including the inverter. Xantrex advised me that the inverter may be set to 00 in the set up. I checked the setup and it was set to 01 which allows the DC side to work. Xantrex said it was a problem with the inverter then.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Does the display come on? Which line item was checked in setup. There are 28 or so. Could your inverter be set to ignition sense?
Old 02-16-2021, 11:21 PM   #10

I believe it was line one. It needs to be set to 01. So I tried setting it to 00. disconnected, then set it back to 01 (which is to insure it's not set to acc). I followed Xantrex tech directions. I tried a couple times with no luck.

I will be returning and replacing the unit soon.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:16 PM   #11

Just an update. In case anybody else has an issue.

I replaced the new inverter I purchased with the same inverter (Xantrex XC 2000). I still had the same issue, the inverter did not boot up on DC power only. No matter what I did. But it worked on shore power and generator.

I called Xantrex and they tried to help me out. But they wanted me to bench test it and I don't have the tools to do it. They also wanted me to check each battery by moving them around and seeing if one was faulty. Batteries are heavy and I didn't want to try this. what a pain.

So, I re-examined the batteries and found the connections were a little crapped up. So I cleaned them up. The inverter came on and stayed on for about 10 seconds. I replaced two batteries. The inverter would not stay on.

I called Xantrex and they reminded me that there was an ACC setting that needed to be turned off. I told them I had set this up when I installed and they said if you disconnect a bettery, the inverter may reset the computer to default and turn on ACC. I turned it off in the programming and it worked. I have inverted power with out shore or generator.

So there you go. clean terminals and connectors. Be patient and spend a week trying to fix it.
Old 03-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I love success stories, thx
Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #13

I agree, it's nice to see good endings.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, scr