Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2021, 09:40 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
No DEF at Walmart

Went to WM today for DEF and none to be had of any brand. I hope this is not a trend.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2021, 10:01 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just what is DEF. Isn't it just mostly ammonia? That's what we used at the cogen when burning natural gas.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:21 AM   #3

I heard horse urine. (Ammonia)
Old 04-03-2021, 01:20 AM   #4
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Question

I'm thinking it's just the particular store you were at that might have temporarily been out of stock.

All stores in the area I'm currently in have it with the exception of the one circled as that is just a "neighborhood market" and not a superstore.

We're at complete opposite ends of the country, however, assuming you're in Florida and I'm in WA state right now. Peak Blue and Cheveron Delo are also in stock at all the stores in the area I'm currently in too.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33414.png
Views:	7
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	323616   Click image for larger version

Name:	98532.png
Views:	7
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	323617  

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:06 AM   #5

The Walmart that I usually buy DEF was out a few weeks ago. I went to another and they had plenty so I bought about 6 jugs to fill up and for an upcoming trip. I was in my regular Walmart this past week and they were stocked up but with the Super Tech brand. The other brand (Walmart brand??) was not on the shelf. Maybe the shortage is due to a change over of the primary brand they carry (maybe, just guessing).
boomersooner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 06:09 AM   #6
IC2

They are occasionally out. The Blue DEF brand is usually available at NAPA/CarQuest/Home Depot-Lowe's/Tractor Supply and usually about the same price, give or take a few cents. It's 32.5% urea and 67.5% water (deionized).
Old 04-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Just what is DEF. Isn't it just mostly ammonia? That's what we used at the cogen when burning natural gas.

It is not made from urine, but from a synthetic chemical called urea (which does happen to be a component in urine). Also, it is at a very specific concentration (the eutectic), designed so that when it freezes and melts in the tank, the concentration of urea in the liquid does not change.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:38 AM   #8

it's quite common for the walmart in town to run out of both the blue def and the super tech def. but they get restocked in a few days. this is not the only item they run out of. if you make a list of 10 items typically 3 of them will be sold out.
bigchick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #9

Gettin' on toward spring planting boys, and DEF is ALMOST the same as the liquid nitrogen fertilizer used by farmers to fertilize crops when planting or side dressing. You can probably expect to see isolated shortages here and there as production changes over and demand spikes with weather changes and soil moisture conditions call for seed in the ground. Who'd you think will get priority? The farmer needing thousands of gallons for a crop or the RV'er /pickup user needing a jug or two? It'll pass.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My WM had plenty of both brands of DEF yesterday.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:43 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So some initial research is showing that the urea solution containing N2 is converted To N3 or Ammonia during the SCR process. So why have we not heard of people using an Ammonia/distilled water mix when Def fluid is not available?
Old 04-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #12

Quote:
So some initial research is showing that the urea solution containing N2 is converted To N3 or Ammonia during the SCR process. So why have we not heard of people using an Ammonia/distilled water mix when Def fluid is not available?
DEF is not a mixture of ammonia and water, it is a mix of urea and water. Urea is a compound that changes to ammonia and carbon dioxide when heated. Then, the ammonia is passed through the catalyst which releases nitrogen and water.

Ammonia itself is very corrosive and destructive and will destroy the sensors and plumbing of the DEF system. Urea does not do that unless, under extreme circumstances, ammonia is released in the tank or the concentration becomes too high. Anyone who tries to run their DEF system with a mixture of ammonia and water will suffer costly failures.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes, but that's an in situ reaction. DEF is a solution of urea, not ammonia.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #14
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
The Walmart that I usually buy DEF was out a few weeks ago. I went to another and they had plenty so I bought about 6 jugs to fill up and for an upcoming trip. I was in my regular Walmart this past week and they were stocked up but with the Super Tech brand. The other brand (Walmart brand??) was not on the shelf. Maybe the shortage is due to a change over of the primary brand they carry (maybe, just guessing).
I believe the Super Tech brand is Walmart's own house brand.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote