Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2015, 11:44 PM   #1

Question No ignition with key turn on

I just purchase an "02 Monaco Windsor. Great coach! Drove it to NC from Texas and parked it for one day. Extended both slide-outs, toyed with the air leveling system and turned off both battery disconnect switches. I turned batteries on and tried to start the coach the next day with no success. Turn key to the on position and no lights on instrument panel just like the battery is dead, but it's not. Everything else works fine but no ignition. I'm guessing there is some kind of safety switch or switches somewhere that is preventing the engine from starting. I retracted the slides, still no start. Any ideas?
bigtreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
You may have blown a fuse in the panel outside compartment under the driver seat. How well can you follow and troubleshoot from schematics?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:53 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with a solution.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:27 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
This might be a shot in the dark but check your battery disconnect switch. You say you have power everywhere else but the ignition. That would mean your coach switch is working but your chassis switch may have a bad connection. Turn your chassis battery switch on and of numerous times to clean the contacts it might be that simple??
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:10 AM   #5

You said you put the slides out--- did you bring them back in before attempting to start ? My last 2 coaches have interlocks to prevent starting if the slides are out.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:11 AM   #6

Hi
Sorry that you are having problems.
This is another thought did you open the rear engine door? If you did there are two switches on the left side that control the ignition switch, it says front and rear as well as a switch to start. You may have hid the switch from front to rear. Only a thought. Also try starting from that start switch and see what happens.
Best of luck and keep us updated

2003 Monico Windsor 370HP
Silver Springs, FL

Toad: Volvo
hshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Are your storage doors closed? Do you have a meter to check the door interlocks? When we bought our used MH it had two of the door interlock switches bypassed. So far I haven't replaced them but will when the weather warms up. Just something else for you to try.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

If you have measured the battery voltage and it is ok, then the next step might be to verify that your chassis battery cables are firmly attached and the battery connection clean.

If all is good at the battery, wiggle the wires at the back of the ignition switch to try to learn if there is a loose connection.

If all is ok there, you may need to locate the Ignition Solenoid (not the starter solenoid).

On my rig it was mounted near the chassis fuses.

You could wire a jumper from big terminal positive to big terminal negative on the solenoid and see if that solves your problem.

If so, replace the solenoid, or perhaps first test the ground connection to see if the old one will wake up.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #9

I think PanJH nailed it if the OP didn't retract the slides
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #10

OP said he retracted the slides. I would get a digital multi meter if you don't have one you can pick one up for $20. I would then see if I had 12 volt power on both sides of master switch when it's in the on position. If you don't the master switch is bad and can be bypassed in an emergency by hooking both cables to on side of the switch thus bypassing it.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #11

I have a 2002 Country Coach and was having similar problems. I found that there's solenoid in where the house 12v fuses are that was bad. There is also probably another some where towards the back of the coach. The one in the front is what went bad on my coach. You can check it with a multi meter, give it a whack (not too hard), or replace it. But first you have to find out where it is. If it goes bad the key does nothing and the dash lights don't work. Go over to the owners forum and see if any other Monaco owners have had a similar problem.
Good Luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #12

A big thank you to everyone that replied to my question!!! hshiner hit the problem right on the head. I remember playing with that switch in the rear without realizing the consequences. You folks are either very smart or have been RV-ing long enough to have had many problems yourselves. I'm just a beginner at age 64.. Thanks again. Bigtreeman from Eastern North Carolina...
bigtreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
bigtreeman welcome to the forums from another TarHeel (Greensboro). Where in eastern NC? We used to be in Belhaven! Enjoy your ride... glad to see you found solution to your problem.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshiner View Post
Hi
Sorry that you are having problems.
This is another thought did you open the rear engine door? If you did there are two switches on the left side that control the ignition switch, it says front and rear as well as a switch to start. You may have hid the switch from front to rear. Only a thought. Also try starting from that start switch and see what happens.
Best of luck and keep us updated

2003 Monico Windsor 370HP
Silver Springs, FL

Toad: Volvo
This happened to us also and the fine folks here figured it out in about 20 minutes. (In that 20 minutes I went crazy worried).
I had been messing with the tail light.

Good to know its FIXED!