Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #29
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think the skill level and attitude of truck drivers has diminished over the years. Not to offend anyone, but it's one of those jobs that if you have no other skills, you can at least drive a truck.

But.....to be fair, there are some pretty rude RV drivers. Many are old with an I don't give a s&*t attitude about others on the road. Sorry to say, but my dad was like that. I was often embarrassed when I drove with him. When he wasn't cutting people off, he was cussing at others.

Truckers have to deal with the poor RV drivers more than most and may not have much compassion when driving near an RV or while passing one.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #30

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brace yourselves it's only going to get worse.

Here in Canada the problem get compounded by poor weather conditions. Throw in the problems already stated in the thread. You have a recipe for disaster!

Drive Safe! And defensive!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
One thing I've said for years, put all new drivers on motorcycles for the first 90 days of driving, those that survive will be good defensive drivers

I completely agree! I know that I am a far better driver because I am also a rider. That's the best way to learn defensive driving skills imo.
jt
AMEN !!!
Old 12-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Truck drivers and RV operators are a reflection of the greater society and culture in many ways. If you look at this issue in this way, it isn't so surprising.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think the skill level and attitude of truck drivers has diminished over the years. Not to offend anyone, but it's one of those jobs that if you have no other skills, you can at least drive a truck.

But.....to be fair, there are some pretty rude RV drivers. Many are old with an I don't give a s&*t attitude about others on the road. Sorry to say, but my dad was like that. I was often embarrassed when I drove with him. When he wasn't cutting people off, he was cussing at others.

Truckers have to deal with the poor RV drivers more than most and may not have much compassion when driving near an RV or while passing one.
I personally know several drivers that would be offended by that statement. I know many drivers that are well read and have some impressive resume's in all kinds of different fields.

On another note I have seen some pretty stupid motorcycle drivers out there as well. Most don't survive to get in something big enough to be dangerous.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #34

In the not too distant future the problem will take care of itself. I don't think we are very far away from vehicles that will drive themselves. We already have cars that park themselves and cars that stop when approaching slow or stopped traffic. Things are changing at a much faster pace than in the past. I for one will gladly sit in the back while the computer handles the driving.
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #35

No longer King of the Road

Funny you mention that sliskest1. Just this week I pulled into the passing lane to go around a slower moving truck. When I checked the passing lane before moving over I saw a crotch rocket way behind me. I could tell he wasn't letting the grass grow under him, but he was far enough back that it was safe for me to pass without endangering him ( he did have to slow from about Mach 1 though). I also figured it was a lot easier for him to change speeds than it was for me to have to break my stride, let him pass, then gain my speed back to complete my pass ( I was going around 66-67 mph). I cleared the truck and signaled my intent to move back into the right lane. Just as I predicted, this genius shot between my tail and the truck's front when I was about halfway over. Good thing I saw it coming or I would have squashed him. So it's not just the truckers, it's every type of driver out there. But, I never expect the crotch rocket guy to use good sense.

2012 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Old 12-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I drove semi's most of my life, I drove doubles and triple trailers, I had a Haz Mat permit in my pocket years before the government required one, I hauled radioactive waste from power plants. I am not going to get into some of the insulting comments some have made. All I can say is when you set down for Christmas dinner tomorrow you can thank a Trucker, because no darn train delivered that meal to the store where you bought it, in fact almost Everything in your house was delivered to a store by a Trucker. So the very few that ticked you off go ahead and cuss at them but don't throw the whole pot out for a few bad apples, anybody want to sit in that seat day after day and put up with the clueless other drivers out there?, Truckers drive hundreds of miles everyday not just few hundred once in a while. So if one should drift sometimes, be courteous give a truck room it takes a whole lot more to drive a truck than you think, more than just "aiming it and the rest will follow bull"
Old 12-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #37

Harley1994, I share your pain, I'm a cop! Talk about getting a bad rap lately, I can relate. That's why when I started this thread I first complemented those King of the Road drivers I've always admired and stated many drivers still get the job done with great skill. It was certainly not my intent to throw the whole industry under the bus. I got all the respect in the world for the good ones. I know their out there trying to scratch out a decent living while I'm simply heading out for some R & R. I'll gladly give any trucker a wide berth so they can get on down the road and rack up a few more miles and a few more $. I even feel guilty at times taking up a diesel lane at the truck stop because I might be holding a driver who needs to get back on the road.

2012 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Old 12-24-2015, 08:30 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Moleary, Thank You!, I can only imagine the crap you have to put up with.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Truck drivers and RV operators are a reflection of the greater society and culture in many ways. If you look at this issue in this way, it isn't so surprising.
Exactly correct, this is what I thought reading through the responses. This applies to all vocations, the members of each will reflect society in general, it cannot be any other way.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:38 PM   #40

Moleary, you guys in law enforcement have been thrown under the bus in Ferguson, Baltimore and elsewhere. Just know that there are a lot of us out here who genuinely appreciate what you do in keeping our communities safe.

I honor your service, sir.

Rich
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I for one do enjoy driving with the truckers. I do flash my ICC lights and appreciate when they do for me. If I'm driving on a curved road with a truck behind me and a straight stretch happens I'll slow as soon as he gets in the incoming lane to pass, then as soon as safely possible I'll flash for him to pull in front of me. That would be a 2 lane road.
They seem to be more predictable than a car or an rv on the road. I try to flow down the road.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
The trucking industry is not impervious to the same thing that is happening to the construction and other services industries. Too big a demand and too few applicants. The skill level is at an all time low. I've been in construction for 37 years and the labor shortage is taking a big toll on our business. We have heavy equipment parked because we can't staff it.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote