Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #1

No longer King of the Road

Let me start by saying their is no doubt I piss my fair share of fellow motorists off every time I get behind the wheel of my motor home. That being said, I used to think professional truckers were the King of the Road. They had the experience to maneuver those huge trucks through traffic like it was nothing. I know many drivers still have that skill. Lately, though it seems a lot more truckers have crowded me out of my lane, cut me off, tailgated, refused let me in, and generally caused me to nearly soil myself every time I hit the road. Is the trucking industry so short of veteran drivers they are putting these guys out there before they're ready? It sure makes for some white knuckle moments.

End of rant. Merry Christmas everyone. Stay safe out there.

2012 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Sad demise

From my experience. Yes, yes and yes. Been a slow deterioration for the last 20+ years. Drive defensively please. Merry Christmas..spring is just around the corner!
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

Around the "BIG" cities Interstates where there are semi's after semi's it really does get a bit nerve rattling. I have a time or two found myself literally pinned in by 4 trucks, all of us going just about the same speed. Makes a man sit up and take notice of his surroundings....
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #4

My wife and I have discussed this very subject several times when we are dragging our fiver down the road. The thing we notice most is the seeming difficulty truck drivers have staying in their lane. I don't think they are purposely riding the line. I think truck driving, like everything else, is getting dumbed down so less training and skill is involved than in years past. I used to feel like I could trust a professional driver to stay in their own lane. Now I just want to get by as quickly as possible.

Steve
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Dash Cam

This is another reason I installed a Dash Cam in my motor home. I had a couple of near misses and it was all caught on Sd card in camera. If there had been a accident, I would have the proof. My dash cam runs when ever the key is on and runs for 8 hours before starting over. It is mounted on the overhead cabinets looking out the front with a 140 degree wide angle. it also looks slightly down to catch the Lic plate of any vehicle in front.
Mel
Old 12-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleary View Post
Let me start by saying their is no doubt I piss my fair share of fellow motorists off every time I get behind the wheel of my motor home. That being said, I used to think professional truckers were the King of the Road. They had the experience to maneuver those huge trucks through traffic like it was nothing. I know many drivers still have that skill. Lately, though it seems a lot more truckers have crowded me out of my lane, cut me off, tailgated, refused let me in, and generally caused me to nearly soil myself every time I hit the road. Is the trucking industry so short of veteran drivers they are putting these guys out there before they're ready? It sure makes for some white knuckle moments.

End of rant. Merry Christmas everyone. Stay safe out there.

2012 Winnebago Tour 42QD

I read an article recently about the national shortage of drivers. It's a critical situation. Students who enroll in one of the trucking schools, start getting employment offers well before graduation. I think the schools have streamlined their courses so they are shorter. The million mile vets are a much smaller % of the truckers than in years past.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #7

I agree Steve! Bring back our railroad system, and eliminate over half the HDT's on the roadways.
Railroads built this nation, and when they were dismantled it started the decline of our nation. Just my opinion of course. Railroads are the 2nd on the list of the most economical methods of shipping materials. The first is by water, which is very limited by waterways themselves.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Been in a truck stop diner lately? half the place not speaking English, lots of Russian conversations going on.
Don't call me racist...just sayin
Dan Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Osborne View Post
Been in a truck stop diner lately? half the place not speaking English, lots of Russian conversations going on.
Don't call me racist...just sayin
Its not just Russian, but pretty much any nationality were being an American truck driver is a step up. The reason for the shortage of drivers is simple - the trucking companies treat their drivers like [moderator edit]. Its not just the pay per mile that's bad, but all the little things too. Go read on a trucking website to see their horror stories.

I just did a long drive today. Having trucks verve into my lane or cut me off happen so frequently I don't even get upset anymore.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #10

In addition to what's been said, sadly the truck industry is also not exempt from DISTRACTED DRIVERS with electronics, i.e. especially texting and phone calls. We've all been witness to it. Cellular devices have by far had the largest impact on the accident rate, both car and truck, in the last two decades and it isn't getting any safer... it's getting worse. Cars are now being sold with in-dash WiFi and more. The wireless industry has become such a large economic engine that nothing can get in there way. Best we can do is be very defensive drivers whether in our car or RV.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
In addition to what's been said, sadly the truck industry is also not exempt from DISTRACTED DRIVERS with electronics, i.e. especially texting and phone calls. We've all been witness to it. Cellular devices have by far had the largest impact on the accident rate, both car and truck, in the last two decades and it isn't getting any safer... it's getting worse. Cars are now being sold with in-dash WiFi and more. The wireless industry has become such a large economic engine that nothing can get in there way. Best we can do is be very defensive drivers whether in our car or RV.

cheers,
Joopy
Very well said. My wife says that I drive like an old man poking along in the right lane (driving the speed limit). The right lane is my friend as I have a shoulder to move to when thing start going bad.
The downside to pulling a race trailer with the motorhome is the cars merging onto the highway in the acceleration lane that cut in early or merge and slow down.
Even with the strongest of engines when you lift that pedal, it takes a few moment to get that speed back.
Dan Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
As a veteran driver I can agree that the newer batch of drivers on the road theses days seems lacking in professionalism. I agree we are seeing more drivers from other countries that don't seem to grasp safe driving techniques
On the other hand any Joe blow in alot of areas can go in and buy a 40,000 lb. diesel pusher with air brakes and jump in and drive it away with no previous experience. It's the learn as you go attitude.

I have seen some real dandy's on either side of the fence. If these truckers did not have to take a CDL test can you imagine the mess we would have then.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is no use fighting traffic and in turn aggravating yourself. When the highway is only 2 lanes I just drive 65 or less. Getting into city areas, traffic increases and so does the level of incompetence. 3 or more lanes, you are just banging your head against the wall by trying to stay in that right lane. Move over, and stay in the middle. Let everyone else fight with the inconsiderate morons who can't merge properly on the highway, and the other morons who refuse to let you move left to accomodate the merging traffic.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #14

Stopped at a local Speedco for an oil filter. All six semi trucks in the bays were driven by Indian or perhaps Pakistanis wearing turbans. Talked to several of them and they seemed to be decent folks.

Point is: Many many foreign drivers on the road, bringing their somewhat limited driving history to the US and we tend to drive like we first learned how.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote