RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #1

No Low Point Drains? Beaver Patriot?? HELP

Looking for some guidance. I began winterizing my coach today. Drained Hurricane Hot Water Tank, then pressurized the water and got the shower, toilet and all faucets drained. Emptied the water tank and then looked for low point drains in accordance to my manual.....but...nada. My manual shows them at the bottom of the panel in the wet bay, but my panel doesn't have them. I looked by the water pump...no joy. Can anyone tell me what's up? As noted in my signature, it's a 1998 Beaver Patriot Monticello, 40'. I realize that not all coaches are built the same way, so maybe mine has no low point drains?

On another note, on past RV's I always used plumbing antifreeze in my lines, but it seems that on these coaches, using air to vacate water from lines is good enough? I don't see a by-pass kit anywhere.

Any advice is surely welcome!
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
RDG

If you have a shower hose in the wet bay, that may be the low point drain. It is on our Georgetown.
Bob
Old 08-21-2018, 08:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I looked around for an Owners Manual for the 1998, but did not find one. Do you have the Owner's manual? Does the Wet Bay panel look like the photo below (for the 2000 model year)?

The 1996 manual and 2000 manual both show low point drains. Top pic is from 1996 manual.

On my 2005, there is a removable panel in the last storage compartment (adjacent to Wet Bay) that has the water pump and a low point drain in addition to the drains on the Wet Bay panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1996 Beaver Plumbing.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	215851   Click image for larger version

Name:	2000 Beaver Plumbing manifold.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	215852  

CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Winterizing!? Lol! We're just getting started here. Sorry I can't be of help with that issue but I had to chime in since I know you from the Lexus LS forums.
How goes it?
Old 08-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I looked around for an Owners Manual for the 1998, but did not find one. Do you have the Owner's manual? Does the Wet Bay panel look like the photo below (for the 2000 model year)?

The 1996 manual and 2000 manual both show low point drains. Top pic is from 1996 manual.

On my 2005, there is a removable panel in the last storage compartment (adjacent to Wet Bay) that has the water pump and a low point drain in addition to the drains on the Wet Bay panel.
My manual looks like yours, with the notations for Low Point being the same as in your pic. However, my wet bay panel does not look like that.

I've thrown in the towel though.I have an appointment for next Wednesday at the local RV dealership. 150 bucks including installing a by pass kit for the HW tank. I'll have them show me how to winterize this beast for next year. I'm a die-hard DIY'er, but this one is kicking me in the crotch. Making a mistake could cost thousands. This system is unlike any previous MH or TT I've ever owned. Thanks all for your help.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjac69 View Post
Winterizing!? Lol! We're just getting started here. Sorry I can't be of help with that issue but I had to chime in since I know you from the Lexus LS forums.
How goes it?
Holy Crap MacJac!! LOL. I'm good man.

Well....except for this issue. Knowing me from the LS Forums and the DIY's I've posted there, you know I'm not happy not doing things myself.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:28 PM   #7

I learned hit and miss on my Allegro Bus 39. Utilizing my experience with boats, I found drain valves hidden in a hand hole inside the wet bay area, drained it all, then used a dishwasher (or faucet, I don't recall) flexible connection hose to hook onto the intake of the 12 volt water pump. I filled that baby with RV antifreeze. Don't forget the ice maker and washer if you have them.

Still following that same procedure except now I drain the antifreeze after I run it through to eliminate that terrible taste and smell the water lines tend to absorb. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2018, 01:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
I learned hit and miss on my Allegro Bus 39. Utilizing my experience with boats, I found drain valves hidden in a hand hole inside the wet bay area, drained it all, then used a dishwasher (or faucet, I don't recall) flexible connection hose to hook onto the intake of the 12 volt water pump. I filled that baby with RV antifreeze. Don't forget the ice maker and washer if you have them.

Still following that same procedure except now I drain the antifreeze after I run it through to eliminate that terrible taste and smell the water lines tend to absorb. Good luck!
So, you don't bypass the HW tank? If not, then you're using about 6-8 gallons of Antifreeze?
Old 08-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadfrog View Post
Holy Crap MacJac!! LOL. I'm good man.

Well....except for this issue. Knowing me from the LS Forums and the DIY's I've posted there, you know I'm not happy not doing things myself.
I know it dude. That unit you have is a very nice coach so I understand your no half stepping with it.
I sold my LS recently and stepped down to a 16 Stingray Corvette, yeah I know but it's something I've always wanted and being retired now I just went ahead and pulled the trigger I still have my IS 250 though. I am liking the new LS 500 a lot though. Lol.
Any ways good luck with the winterizing process I dont have to worry about that usually until the 3rd week of November or so down here.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
There is mention in the Beaver manual about draining all the water and blowing compressed air through system to completely empty - instead of filling with RV antifreeze. The section says to remove the water heater drain plug.

Do you have the Owner's Manual?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	216060  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjac69 View Post
I know it dude. That unit you have is a very nice coach so I understand your no half stepping with it.
I sold my LS recently and stepped down to a 16 Stingray Corvette, yeah I know but it's something I've always wanted and being retired now I just went ahead and pulled the trigger I still have my IS 250 though. I am liking the new LS 500 a lot though. Lol.
Any ways good luck with the winterizing process I dont have to worry about that usually until the 3rd week of November or so down here.
STINGRAY!? lol...Very Nice.

As for winterizing....we don't get freezing temps until at least December. And sometimes we can go an entire Winter with temps barely ever freezing. a degree or two below zero during the night is about max. We are a couple of hours from Seattle, so mostly just rain. We're leaving for Europe next week for a month, so gotta get it done before I put it away in storage.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
There is mention in the Beaver manual about draining all the water and blowing compressed air through system to completely empty - instead of filling with RV antifreeze. The section says to remove the water heater drain plug.

Do you have the Owner's Manual?
I do have the manual, and mine states the same as what your image shows. I did drain it, but now I want to do the antifreeze....just in case. I already blew air thru the lines as I stated in my post. Regardless, it goes in for a bypass kit and complete winterizing on Tuesday. Then next year, I'll be good to go. The Manuals for these Beavers are pretty vague. warnings in them that say something like, "your coach may or may not have a similar system" only adds to the frustration. When you're potentially talking about an 8-10k dollar boo-boo, it only adds to the stress. I've Winterized countless RV's of every kind in the past 25 years, but this one is a different animal. My class C was literally a valve to turn at the FW tank and one at the HW tank. Then a hose into a gallon jug of AF, and VOILA. DONE.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #13

for your aqua hot/hurricane the drains should be just to left of the unit, two pex lines with that lay on the floor with valves pointed down
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
for your aqua hot/hurricane the drains should be just to left of the unit, two pex lines with that lay on the floor with valves pointed down
Thanks. However, no drains. The pex lines are there alright, but no drain fittings attached.

Tags
beaver