Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2022, 11:29 AM   #1

Cool No Power to New Shurflo Water Pump

On our way home from a recent outing, we discovered that the house water was not working. All four switch lights cycle on and off as commanded, but water pump wouldn’t cycle on. When we got home, I investigated. The pump had been intermittent for the past six months, but mostly operating, especially when I went
into the water compartment, and jiggled the wiring. So I suspected wiring was the culprit, and this time, I tugged at every mechanical connection to try and see if any of them were loose. Lo and behold, when I traced the positive (red) lead to the back of the Shurflo, where it plugs into the pressure switch, the lead broke its
last tenuous bond, and came off in my hand. The male part of the spade connector had corroded flush where it entered the pump housing, and also bonded from corrosion to the female spade, so everything came out as one piece, leaving zero positive lead on the pressure switch. As I was withdrawing the red wire with the corrupted connector, it inadvertantly arced against what looks like a grounding strap in the shadows to the right and behind the water control panel.
That was the last time I detected 12V at that lead. I ordered a new, correct Shurflo, and hooked it all up identically with the new wiring. All four switches still illuminate when pressed, but there is no 12V signal at the red lead from behind the panel. The 20A fuse at the panel in the bedroom tests good visually and with a continuity meter.
I went cold iron on the rig, hoping to reset some electronic safety breaker somewhere, cutting 50 amp at the power pole, turning off the inverter, and killing 12V at the door. Everything was left untouched and silent for about 30 seconds, then I reversed the process - 12V on, inverter on, and 50 amp back on at the power pole. Everything else in the rig is working perfectly, but no 12V at that dang positive lead to the pump!
I'm on the phone with Tiffin now, number 11 in the queue, and thought I'd spend my time throwing this out there to everybody.
Has this ever happened to any of you?
Is there a hidden in-line fuse I can't see/feel behind the water panel?
What am I missing?
TIA if you can suggest anything I might not have thought of...
patncris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #2

Hi standard PSA please put your coach info in your signature. Although I saw the word Tiffin but 12v is 12v.
Do you have, like I have - multiple switches that activate the water pump. The on/off tends to be on the main panel but I can turn the pump on in the bathroom and in the wet bay. In the middle, at least on my coach is this little gem. I just replaced mine and viola all the switches now work. If you don't have this I dunno.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2TBL7A...roduct_details
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 01:51 PM   #3

Thank you for that. The coach is a 2010 Allegro Bus 36QSP.
The latching controller is the first thing Tiffin Tech wanted me to check, but it's really buried up and behind the water compartment control fascia. I will have to continue to search for it with a light and/or a scope. Hopefully I can get to it and replace it with the
one you kindly suggested.
Old 03-08-2022, 02:07 PM   #4

Here is a wiring print of your Intellitec latching relay, pump, lights and switches.
Try grounding the pump negative lead and see if the pump runs. That will tell you if the latching relay is at fault or not.

Richard
Old 03-08-2022, 05:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patncris View Post
Thank you for that. The coach is a 2010 Allegro Bus 36QSP.
The latching controller is the first thing Tiffin Tech wanted me to check, but it's really buried up and behind the water compartment control fascia. I will have to continue to search for it with a light and/or a scope. Hopefully I can get to it and replace it with the
one you kindly suggested.
Hum. Stupid thing should not be that hard to find the wire from your pump should run right to it. Shame they can't make key points of failure easier for DIY. I was lucky mine is in plain sight. I guess they can't charge you $200 an hour if it's easy to fix. Also just so you can sleep hit that pump with 12v and make sure it's working I keep a set of jumpers in my battery bay for that purpose.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:33 AM   #6

No power to new Shurflo Pump

Thanks to all responders.
It is raining, and cold - so I wasn't able to concentrate fully on gathering all the stuff I need to find that Latching Switch Controller (bright light for these old eyes,
Inspection mirror, borescope imager), but I have done the couple of things I can do until the weather lets up - I listened to your good advice, and I ordered the new Intellitec unit off Amazon. I will report my success or failure after swapping it out. Thanks again!

Tags
no power, power, pump, water, water pump