Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #1

No power to steps or generator

So I changed out my batteries and when I turn on the 2 switches I normally heard a sound, like a click, but nothing now. Coach starts. But steps not working and no power to start generator? I checked all fuses. I did have a wire on the wrong terminal but changed it. 2004 Gulfstream Cresendo.
pastordug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Which battery did you change?

The generator and the steps are both powered by the engine battery. Does your engine start? If 'yes' then check to see if steps are working then attempt to start the generator. If they work with engine I would suspect a solenoid is sticking or was damaged due to your miswiring the battery. If 'no' recommend: 1) Shut off your engine battery switch and listen for it's click. Wait a minute and turn it back on. Try steps again. If still not working, turn off and disconnect battery again. Wait a minute or so and then connect the positive cables first followed by the negative. Listen when you attach the negative cable for the sound of the solenoid engaging. Turn on the battery switch and test the system again. If still not working run the positive cable from the battery to the main solenoid and check to insure you have power to the solenoid. (This one should be a no brainer unless your battery is dead do you may want to check battery voltage.) Now check solenoid voltage at the in and out poles. If no out voltage or low voltage the solenoid is stuck or bad. You can try lightly tapping on it to see if it resets. I'm now beyond my experience with this issue I would be calling a repair tech.

Hope all checks out for you and you get up and running. Someone else will probably have more expertise offering advice shortly Richard
Old 07-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #3

I know which clicking sounds you speak of. There is a switch that has a reset button on the side. Looks like the pic attached. Yes you get the click sound when turning on the main house power. Mine is located under the bed next to the main fues panel, looks like a main box in a house but not as big. In the last four years I have reset it twice and keeps on working. I called my manufacturer and they were nice enough to email me a schematic of the location. Hope this helps. Click image for larger version

Name:	m_72825_primary.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	292512
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #4

Yes engine starts. But no power at all to steps or generator. Actually tried to start gen at the gen. Nothing. I checked and reset all the breakers I could find. Guess it’s the mech next? Thanks for suggestions.
pastordug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I would disagree that the generator is on the chassis battery as it is most often found on the House battery. I would check to see if you have any 12v power to any fixture. If not if there is a 12v disconnect switch check to make sure it is in the on position. If there is not 12v disconnect switch and as you indicate the reverse battery connection I would suspect that you have tripped a mulitbreaker which is what lrgomes picture shows it is not a switch and some of them can be reset with a button some will reset after a period of time and some will just act like a fuse and can not be reset. Most often the system will have a solenoid in line that is controlled by the disconnect switch if so equipped. I would start with the battery you incorrectly installed and follow the positive lead to where ever it goes.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #6

No reverse polarity fuses?
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

In the first 3' of the positive cable from the coach batteries , there will be ; either a large fuse or 12 volt circuit breaker . As in pictures below .
If you had a wire wrong, chances are you blew the fuse or tripped the circuit breaker .
The circuit breaker shown by another member is only available up to 50 amp. the circuit breaker in the coach battery power cable on my coach ( because it has to handle the gen set started draw) is 150 amps.
The C/B on my coach is on the frame behind the battery box and only visible when you crawl under the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anl fuse.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	292904  
Attached Images

Tags
generator, no power, power, steps