Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2021, 10:15 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No power transfer panel....

Will most likely be picking a first coach today, an '07 Coachman Mirada.

One curious thing is that it doesn't have a power transfer panel. Tried to start the a/c with the generator on and the unit wouldn't power. The owner figured it out that the 120V plug for the RV was not connected to the generator.

So looks like switching power between shore and generator has to be configured manually.

Any disadvantage in this set up (other than one less thing to go wrong)?

TheCatsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #2

Not that unusual , for a manual connection to the genset, a number of lower line coaches were set up that way .

Just have to plug the power cord into the supply; when you're leaving a park ; so you don't have to stop and get out if you need the gen set while on the road.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:28 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks. Is there any reason to leave the power cord unplugged from the genset under normal (i.e., not working on the rig) conditions when not hooked up to shore power?

This is a first RV (only been in a rented Class C a few years ago otherwise) so lot to learn.

TheCatsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatsRV View Post
Will most likely be picking a first coach today, an '07 Coachman Mirada.

One curious thing is that it doesn't have a power transfer panel. Tried to start the a/c with the generator on and the unit wouldn't power. The owner figured it out that the 120V plug for the RV was not connected to the generator.

So looks like switching power between shore and generator has to be configured manual

Any disadvantage in this set up (other than one less thing to go wrong)?

My coach is the same way. You have to plug the electrical cord into the outlet from the generator. I start the generator, let it run for a minute or two then plug the cord in. I also unplug the cord before shutting the generator down.
Actually I have a surge protector which plugs into the generator outlet and the cord plugs into the surge protector. There is a little inconvenience involved here but there are no mechanical parts to wear out and fail.
My generator outlet is mounted in the same bay as my electrical cord stores. Easily accessible.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:31 AM   #5

Right offhand , I can't think of a reason, not to have, the power cord plugged in to the gen set outlet.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:32 AM   #6

Yup, less $$ to build.

Less to fail, but does require a little "manual labor".

Think of it as KISS theory.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:33 AM   #7

Not much of a nuisance to plug it in the gen outlet. Many owners have had issues with ATS or mostly the connectors. I just put a relay in mine and need a new 3 way connection block from previous over heating.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Right offhand , I can't think of a reason, not to have, the power cord plugged in to the gen set outlet.
I don't leave my cord plugged in as I've been leery of sending low voltage to anything in the coach which may be left on or the fridge trying to switch from propane to A/C with the switch in the 'Auto' position as the generator is starting up and settling down. I'm overly cautious I suppose but it makes me feel better being this way.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #9

Both of the units we’ve had require you to manually plug-in the shore power plug to the generator receptacle. Absolutely no hassle doing this. In fact as your stowing the cable in the power bay after removing it from the shore power pedestal it very quickly becomes second nature to “store” the plug into the receptacle ready for generator feed when required. Makes you all ready to go to quickly flash up genset and have a coffee and use the microwave to have a rest stop break.

As an aside, I prefer to have mine plugged in prior to starting the generator; I will not plug in or remove the shore power cable from any hot outlet ( even though I have a hard wired Progressive Industries EMS installed) as you can cause arcing on the connector pins plugging into or removing from a hot source.
The beauty of the PI EMS is that it delays connecting the source from the rig until all AC parameters meet specifications ( correct polarity, 60 hertz, ground issues etc)
So I always trip the shore pedestal breakers before inserting or removing the shore cable and always store the connector plugged into the genset receptacle

But that’s just me…
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:16 PM   #10

If I was to stop somewhere for a break the first thing I'd do would be to exit the coach and take a short trip around it to check everything and stretch my legs a bit. If I started the generator before leaving the coach all I'd have to do would be to plug the cord in. My cord and plug are the original parts and there is no sign of burnt terminals on the plug from plugging it into anything. It looks like new. I don't have to crawl around on the floor to play with breakers either. My converter is below my refrigerator just above the floor behind a hinged door.
I have run generators for a lot of years for a lot of uses including military power plants. I have never started one without knowing there was no load on the generator. The best way to be sure was to have nothing plugged into the gen set unless there was a breaker panel on the generator and all the breakers were off. Not saying my method is the best but with years of experience behind me it seems more natural to me.
Curiously though we don't have an electric coffee maker nor have we ever used the Microwave in our coach. We use a drip type percolator on the stove top for coffee when using our coach. We do have an electric coffee maker in our house and use the Microwave there also. Come to think about it , and I just asked my wife about this, we have never used the oven in the stove in our coach although we did turn it on once to see if it worked when we first bought it.
I prefer to do all the cooking outside. No grease, smoke or odors in the coach if we can prevent it. This is one reason why our coach looks nearly new at 19 years old. We take pride in keeping it that way.

Tags
no power, panel, power