Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 06:50 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
No property, so where do you do your DIY repairs

If you have no property that you control on which to service your Motorhome yourself, where do you do the deed?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
If you have no property that you control on which to service your Motorhome yourself, where do you do the deed?

That all depends on what type of service you are talking about. Simple things like general lube or replacing a couch you can do in many RV parks. Donít even think about doing this type of thing in Ďresortsí. Talk to the host/owner.

Things like changing oil is actually harder to figure out where to do. Many parks will allow commercial services come in and do things that they will not let you do, liability and all. There are quite a few services that will change oil in parks.

Typically the more residential parks are more willing to let you do things.
GypsyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:37 PM   #3

Boondock
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #4

Service work

Like others state, it depends "what type " of work, here on my street in front of my house I have painted my roof, drained engine oils and filters, lights and interior work I even installed my FASS system. I live in a nice neighborhood and have been very lucky, Now when I change oils (main engine and genny) I go out of my way to ensure no issues get out of hand. I bought a mat to catch oil splatter so it won't hit the ground, I also made a "spill" kit to catch any mistakes. I clean the area after each job so there is never a opportunity for someone to catch something on camera... I never made it look like I had a major operation going on so it would make someone suspect. I would keep the rig on the street no more than two or three weeks max. Also I didn't hardly run the big engine much at all cause no one likes there little hood to sound like a bus yard.
That said I just had to grease my front wheel bearings and replace my radiator on my DP, so I knew thats WAYYYY over the top for my neighbors to be ok with so I found a buddy that lives in a rural area that let me use his property, plus his shop had much of the equipment which I needed, so I towed my pick up behind the MH loaded with all my tools to his site, and for the most part stayed in my coach unless there was reasons to leave due to tools, parts, or ???
Old 06-24-2021, 02:22 AM   #5

in rv park, make sure to use an obvious tarp and newspaper and make sure they see that you will not make a mess, same for re-fill as it is easy to spill, fluids is the biggest issue in many rv parks but would think a 'membership' park would be more lenient.

GL
SmilingSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:57 PM   #6

I do all my own maintenance and found most parks don't allow you to work on your rig and a lot won't even let you wash it. Some will if you ask and assure them you won't spill and will clean up after yourself right away. . I HAVE been able to do the work I need, just not always at the intervals I'd prefer. Just this month I've been staying at a park where it's ok, and I've taken the opportunity to do quite a few maintenance projects. Swapped out a bad inverter, changed my shocks and engine oil/filters, and will be doing my fuel filters. I'm early on the engine oil and filters but figured I probably won't have this opportunity for a while so better early than late.

I always make sure I do neat work, spreading a tarp or large plastic bag under my work area and I pick everything up right away. I try to be discrete to so it doesn't bother fellow campers.

For oil changes I pick up a couple cheap 5 gallon buckets at Walmart and have a Fumoto valve on the oil pan. Take the used oil to a local auto parts store for recycling and tell them I don't need my buckets back. The ones that say they can't take the buckets, I just throw them in the dumpster at the campground which is legal in the states I've changed my oil in.

On a related note about not being able to wash the rig. I've found I can get it surprisingly clean with what I call a sponge bath method. A rag, a bucket of plain water and a couple towels for drying. I fold the wash towel into square, dunk it in the bucket, mostly wring it out and wipe down a small section and immediately wipe the area dry. Refold the wash towel and repeat. No hoe and no water ends up on the ground, just rinse the towel in the bucket. At the most, on a 40 foot long rig, I've needed two buckets of water. I slowly pour the used water down the drain and wipe the settled sand/grit/sludge out with a paper towel.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, diy, repair, repairs