Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2017, 10:27 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
A Solution

There is a solution to this problem. Get off interstates!

US Highways are some of the best maintained (because they are maintained by counties that are accountable to their local populations in most states) and state highways are the basis for commerce in local communities.

Get away from the crowded and worst condition highways that are only designed to get you from city to city. You are in an RV, you are not going from city to city... your going from place to place!

We just finished 5,610 mile trip (yesterday) and less than 350 miles of the entire trip were spend on interstates (no choice in SoCal ).

For what its worth.... Get off interstates... (your rig will love you more for the reduced earthquake!)
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 10:32 AM   #30

In defense of all the terrible drivers in cars, how about all the terrible drivers in RV's? The road hog driving 10 mph slower than everyone in his rv because that's how he drives. Oblivious to the flow of traffic. I see this on a daily basis. Can't move over to the left lane when traffic is trying to merge. Passes a semi going barely faster and takes 10 miles to complete the pass. On 2 way roads has a line of 30 cars behind him and could care less about all the people he is holding up because he is the most important person on the road. Pushes the pedal to the floor as soon as he hits a passing zone and then back to his turtle speed as soon as he gets back to 2 lanes...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Terrible Drivers

If you are going to remit on terrible drivers, lets not forget those $2,000 Subaru's with $5,000 mountain bikes in Colorado who are obligated to drive -5 mph under the speed limit in the mountains.

Lots of bad drivers of all sorts, vehicles... etc. Just less of them on US Highways... more of them on Interstates....
zekethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
I'm teaching my boys (14 and 11) a bit more about driving and trying to impress the following rules: (1) do every thing you can to minimize road rage (no one appointed you Jr. Traffic Cop) and (2) drive like you're going to see all these people in church next week.
Good for you!!

IMHO, not a bad message for anyone although it is sometimes difficult to remember when things aren't going the way we would like them to, myself included.

I've been driving for about 62 years and for about 41 of those years I've hearded a TC or MH from OR to WV and back, including trips to the north and south borders and one trip to AK. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but in all those miles I've never had a problem beyond a slight fender bender and only a couple of those. None of those were with an RV. I'm sure there are many truckers, and others, who have done much better than that.

I always try to be courteous and drive defensively remembering that "we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us". Sometimes it's difficult, but that's what I've always tried to do.

Along with the discourteous drivers there are also those who will provide a space for one to pull in front of them in a crowded traffic situation and show other acts of courtesy. I try to remember and emulate them.

Just my 2c.

Best of luck in your travels.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with everything said....BUT even when you are not driving you have bad drivers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010480.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	181094  
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #34

Describes me perfectly!
diesel odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #35

https://youtu.be/xviTTqccKSo.

Check out this website for bad drivers
Joyridedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:02 PM   #36

https://youtu.be/qTZkd2zGdrM.

Sorry wrong video this one here is a little better
Old 10-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #37

Sorry I guess you have to go to YouTube and watch it,but it is worth watching.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You just have to make it a point to drive defensively. There are too many oblivious driver on the roads.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post
1. When I graduated from high school (1966) the U.S. population was 197 million. Now there are 324 million of us.
2. The average IQ and educational level of Americans has declined over the past several decades.
3. Increased lack of respect for authority and other people by younger age cohorts.
4. Recent increase in use of electronic devices and social media leading to distracted driving.
5. In general, there seems to be more "pissed off" people out there. Shrinking middle class produces anger, some of which is acted out on roads. Anger by "snowflakes" no longer coddled in bubbles now having to live in reality land, some of which is acted out on roads.

Drive defensively - this old geezer thinks that it's not going to get better out there.
That comment makes exactly zero sense .. unless you are trying make some type of political statement. Classic.
Azpugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #40

My airhorn clears these morons heads pretty quick. Don't be afraid to use it if you have one.
I have even thought of adding a second one that is about double the decibils.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of “Middle Lane Owners Club” members here, no wonder there are so many traffic jams..........
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:56 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Swede View Post

2. The average IQ and educational level of Americans has declined over the past several decades.

The average IQ is 100 it’s always 100 because it’s the average IQ.

This comment may be evidence of falling education levels that I can agree with.

1/2 of all people have below average intelligence.....
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote