Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #1

No shore power

I stored my motorhome this winter and had the shore plugged in. The batteries are dead and the shore power does not provide any power to the interior . The coach batteries are dead. What could be the cause of this? Thank you
Jhefley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2014, 11:17 PM   #2

Tripped GFI plug on the house , bad extension cord, tripped main circuit breaker in the coaches interior panel. Bad power transfer switch.
Have you checked anything out yet?
Old 05-17-2014, 11:30 PM   #3

No shore power

I reset the breakers. Extension cord had power supply. Did not check the gfi. Will check it out and reply tomorrow. Thanks
Old 05-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #4

Also if your coach is equipped with a combination , converter charger/ inverter, you need to check for tripped circuit breakers on that unit as well.
Do you have all the manuals for your coaches systems?

Edit : I see some info in your profile but no year of your coach.
If you go to your " User CP" and the " Edit signature " on the left side , and enter your coaches info , it will appear as mine does below, and you don't have to type it in every time you post.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #5

I reset the Gfi and reset the inverter. Nothing happened. I'll go thru the manuals I have to try and isolate the problem. When I tried to out a charger on just one of the 2 coach batteries I kept getting fault with the battery charger after 5 minutes on a trickle charge. I'm going to remove both batteries and charge them off the motor home to a full charge and reinstall them. Thank you. Will continue to troubleshoot and post
Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
During the winter months have you been checking the water levels of your batteries if they are dry, batteries dead and maybe crack from freezing.
Here is information you need to know about everything in your coach.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #7

Batteries are sealed and no signs of cracks. Motorhome kept in a covered and sealed shop and the shop did not get below 30 degrees.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the coach info. I'll check out the transfer switch for loose wires
Old 05-18-2014, 09:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can your start the coach and maybe you will get 12v from alternator and your battery cut off switch has been on all winter to charge your batteries.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #10

Thanks for filling out a signature line .
Be very cautious charging that battery, internal short could be the starting point of all your problems.
Is the battery original , or do you have any idea of it's age ?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jhefley,
Welcome to iRV2. The clue here is no power to anything in the coach when connected to shore power. Consider starting with the 120 VAC shore power cord. Get a meter and see if there is power incoming to the transfer switch. One needs to start at the beginning and work to the point of power loss. All the 12 VDC stuff comes from the batteries. Since they are dead, they must not have gotten a charge. The charger needs 120 VAC. This is why I ask you to consider starting at the very beginning and get 120 VAC into the coach. While at the TS, tighten all connections. If there is power incoming, there should be power outbound. The next appliance in the 120 VAC circuit is the inverter/charger. You know the drill. Power in but no power out, the appliance is suspect. No power in and one needs to back up to see where the power was lost.

Gut feel says you get 120 VAC into the coach and the 12 VDC problems will fix themselves. The caveat is the batteries may need to be replaced.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #12

I experienced a similar problem a while back. While the coach was stored on shore power there was a power outage, so the system switched to battery. After a while the batteries drained. When shore power was restored, I could not get any ac into the coach. I discovered that the switching systems needed the twelve volt batteries to operate, and tell the system to switch. Without the batteries it would not function. After I was able to bring the house batteries up to twelve volts, everything went back to normal operation. Try to charge the house batteries first, then connect the ac shore power and see if the switch works then. I am not going to tell you how long it took to figure it out..............
RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #13

Thanks for all the input. Will post after trying suggestions
Old 05-19-2014, 11:21 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First of all are you sure you do not have AC power inside the coach when hooked up to shore power. Most of the stuff you try will be DC. Try turning on the microwave or turning on the TV both of those take AC to work. If you are not getting 12 volt power then you probably wont get power to the inverter so the only way for the TV or microwave to come on is if you have 120 volt ac power
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power