Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I carry a mounted spare in my rollout tray. I have a jack and the tools to change it if need be. If I am somewhere remote and will have to wait for hrs. I will change it myself. Otherwise I will have roadside do it.
In my years of trucking I got ripped off a few times buying a tire I didn't want for way more than I should have. That,
That's just me and everyone has their own idea's for what works for them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2017, 08:38 PM   #16

You can carry an unmounted spare, or a mounted spare. We elected to go the mounted route, and purchase a Roadmaster spare tire carrier. we have 22.5" tires. We'll probably never need it, but if we do, we'll have roadside assistance. . . . and probably be out of cell phone reception! You will also need a pneumatic, or electric impact wrench. If in reception, I will call roadside assistance and let THEM change it. Won't cost me anything but some time . . . personal choice, I chose to carry a spare!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	148999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 3.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	149000  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier 5.jpg
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	149001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier small.jpg
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	149002  

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:58 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Last summer while travelling in the northern part of Michigan's lower peninsula- we discovered we had a flat tire late on Saturday afternoon as we were readying the coach for a Sunday morning departure for home. We immediately called Coach-Net - who asked if we had a spare. We did not. We provided the size of the tire we needed - and they went to work to find a dispatch. A short time later they called to tell us that they could not locate a suitable Tire in our area at that time - and that the earliest the ball would get rolling would be first thing Monday morning. The fleet service folks ordered the tire Monday AM. The tire was delivered by their supplier on Tuesday afternoon - and ultimately delivered to us on Wednesday morning. We probably could have pressed for a Tuesday night "emergency" dispatch once they had received the tire - but there was nothing going to shorten the time required to order and receive the tire thru the distribution channel.

Bottom line - without a spare - you can easily be looking at a signicant delay while you wait for a tire - especially if you have a large DP. Tire dealerships out in the sticks typically ain't stocking bus tires.

We were fortunate- we were safely parked in a campground when we discovered our tire was flat. I got to enjoy three extra days of camping while we waited for the tire. It would have been a completely different story had we been stuck on the side of the road! We now carry an unmourned spare. It takes up a ton of space in a basement slideout - but having had that experience - I feel we're better losing the space than potentially being stranded roadside.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
As you decide, pluses and minuses. Call a few commercial tire stores in the area or any area you might worry about with YOUR size tire .. see if the have one in stock and how much $ Thank them politely and hang up. This will confirm or debunk any concerns on availabity . You can then make a informed decision based on your comfort level.
Personally keeping a take off tire that still checks out as ok , would be my choice IF I had the room. It would be just a limp home tire until I could decide what to do on my schedule . No matter what you will have mismatched tires to deal with. I don't think a new tire that I won't use is a good plan, but that's just a personal decision that ea makes .. no right or wrong
Old 01-14-2017, 03:39 PM   #19

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
They'll most likely bring a new tire out to you and charge an outrageous price. I had the room and carried an unmounted spare. This way they could mount it for me and I'd be in my way . This gave me time to shop for a replacement at my leisure.
Good plan. You might even find a used tire in your size and Load Range. Just get one maybe less than 3-4 years old and be sure the dealer has done full inspection and ask if they would submit the tire for re-tread. I don't advise retreading for RV use but a retread inspection means they feel it has no hidden defects.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:42 PM   #20

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
You can carry an unmounted spare, or a mounted spare. We elected to go the mounted route, and purchase a Roadmaster spare tire carrier. we have 22.5" tires. We'll probably never need it, but if we do, we'll have roadside assistance. . . . and probably be out of cell phone reception! You will also need a pneumatic, or electric impact wrench. If in reception, I will call roadside assistance and let THEM change it. Won't cost me anything but some time . . . personal choice, I chose to carry a spare!

Glad to see you use an almost white tire cover. Doesn't do much good to be baking the life out of your spare.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only real flat I've had on an RV was last Nov. Outside dual went flat as I drove. Limped another 10 miles at low speed and got off the freeway. Turned out there was a Les Schwab just across the freeway. Called and they sent a truck out. Young man repaired the tire right on the rig and I was on my way $45 poorer and 1 hr lost time. He did bring the only tire of that size (315/80) they had in stock, it was a TOYO traction tire and I had Michelins. This happened on a Thursday. On Monday another Les Schwab called and said my tires were in so I had all 8 tires changed. The old tires (dated '07) looked great both inside and outside, even the one that ran way overloaded showed no damage anywhere.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:21 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Glad to see you use an almost white tire cover. Doesn't do much good to be baking the life out of your spare.

Yep, for the same reason I REALLY don't agree with the black AC/heat pump shroud covers they are now coming out with in the name of "Styling"!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 08:36 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Calling for help is not a big thing in the East. In the West it is another story. We have traveled for miles and miles out West with no phone service. I would not leave home without a spare. We had a blowout on a 6 year old Goodyear in November of 2015. I timed our downtime. We were back on the road in 31 minutes. I vote for a spare every time.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #24

Bought my old Fleetwood Southwind a few years ago, and all the tires looked pretty good. They held air, and I only camp locally (within 100 miles) and took it for a trip or two that first year .

Been a reader/member here for a short while, and read up on threads about carrying spares and tires that age out but look good, etc.

Last spring, I took the plunge and replaced all 7 tires (6 road tires) with new. The spare in the raised bridge of a pass thru compartment was very old, possibly the original from 1988. It still held air, but was old.

Now, with all new tires, and only several hundred miles on them, I have seen my first flat tire. It is on the outside rear driver's side. MH leans over, tire is flat. I keep that motor home in a pole barn I built for it. Has not moved for months. I pumped it up, and dropped the jacks in the barn, a week later it is flat again.

I will make arrangements before spring with the tire company which is only a 10 or less miles away, and will pump it up and bring the coach in. Depending on my mood, I may even call the service and put the spare on first before that quick trip.

But for me, the question of spare has been answered. I had considered no spare to save weight and time. I still do not plan to change a tire, but can if absolutely necessary, or at least help. I will not consider no spare anymore.

Since the tire went flat in the barn, I am sure there is no rolling damage to it. Still, having never seen a flat on this bus before, the image of, and the desire to not deal with this for longer than I must while on the road, has made my decision for me. New is not always better than tried and true.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #25

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Bought my old Fleetwood Southwind a few years ago, and all the tires looked pretty good. They held air, and I only camp locally (within 100 miles) and took it for a trip or two that first year .

Been a reader/member here for a short while, and read up on threads about carrying spares and tires that age out but look good, etc.

Last spring, I took the plunge and replaced all 7 tires (6 road tires) with new. The spare in the raised bridge of a pass thru compartment was very old, possibly the original from 1988. It still held air, but was old.

Now, with all new tires, and only several hundred miles on them, I have seen my first flat tire. It is on the outside rear driver's side. MH leans over, tire is flat. I keep that motor home in a pole barn I built for it. Has not moved for months. I pumped it up, and dropped the jacks in the barn, a week later it is flat again.

I will make arrangements before spring with the tire company which is only a 10 or less miles away, and will pump it up and bring the coach in. Depending on my mood, I may even call the service and put the spare on first before that quick trip.

But for me, the question of spare has been answered. I had considered no spare to save weight and time. I still do not plan to change a tire, but can if absolutely necessary, or at least help. I will not consider no spare anymore.

Since the tire went flat in the barn, I am sure there is no rolling damage to it. Still, having never seen a flat on this bus before, the image of, and the desire to not deal with this for longer than I must while on the road, has made my decision for me. New is not always better than tried and true.
The tire body ply steel can be damaged if the tire looses say 80+% of its air, even if there is zero rolling. It is possible to "kink" the steel cord which will significantly weaken the cord in that location.

RE 10 miles limping with one tire of a pair of duals flat. The 100% overloaded tire almost certainly suffered internal structural damage from being driven on and should be replaced. There are charts for overload vs speed and 100% overload speed limit is about 2 mph as I recall.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The tire body ply steel can be damaged if the tire looses say 80+% of its air, even if there is zero rolling. It is possible to "kink" the steel cord which will significantly weaken the cord in that location.

RE 10 miles limping with one tire of a pair of duals flat. The 100% overloaded tire almost certainly suffered internal structural damage from being driven on and should be replaced. There are charts for overload vs speed and 100% overload speed limit is about 2 mph as I recall.
Actually, some of this is why I have the MH on the jacks now. I did not drive on a flat soft tire. It went flat in the barn, my guess is they did not clean the rim properly, or a valve or valve extension hose failed. (I have braided hoses on both tires to bring the valve to the hub)

I inflated the tire, dropped the jacks to take the weight. It went flat again, and still has not moved. So, inflated or flat, the other tire nor the flat one are taking most of the weight. (They are taking the weight of the axle, but not the motor home)

I will inflate it and test to see how long it takes to loose air. If it stays inflated for a day or longer, I can take the 10 mile drive. If it looses right away, and I cannot stop it. (maybe remove the valve extension) I will drive on the spare.

I have already told the tire shop they are taking all 7 tires and doing an analysis. Problem is that the cold weather here is a problem. The tire shop I took it to did the work in the lot, as their lift would not lift the MH. (I think it was length, not weight)
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Actually, some of this is why I have the MH on the jacks now. I did not drive on a flat soft tire. It went flat in the barn, my guess is they did not clean the rim properly, or a valve or valve extension hose failed. (I have braided hoses on both tires to bring the valve to the hub)

I inflated the tire, dropped the jacks to take the weight. It went flat again, and still has not moved. So, inflated or flat, the other tire nor the flat one are taking most of the weight. (They are taking the weight of the axle, but not the motor home)

I will inflate it and test to see how long it takes to loose air. If it stays inflated for a day or longer, I can take the 10 mile drive. If it looses right away, and I cannot stop it. (maybe remove the valve extension) I will drive on the spare.

I have already told the tire shop they are taking all 7 tires and doing an analysis. Problem is that the cold weather here is a problem. The tire shop I took it to did the work in the lot, as their lift would not lift the MH. (I think it was length, not weight)
I hate extenders! They are a flat waiting to happen. I think that is probably your problem. Why not remove the hubcap. Remove the extender. Fill the tire with air and see if it still leaks. If that is the problem, (90% chance it is.) Install dually valves and never have a problem again.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:54 PM   #28

Commercial Member

Anyone with a leaking tire should spend a couple minutes trying to learn the "WHY" rather than using a shotgun approach to fixing the problem.

Old windex spray bottle with water and couple drops dish soap. Spray on valve where it meets the wheel, Spray on each connection valve, extender, valve cap or TPMS.
You might read THIS post on why valves leak. If no leak then spray at tire wheel sealing edge. This may not work so well if the tire is still mounted on RV as soapy water usually runs off to quick.
To check the tire correctly it really needs to be on its side and spray and wait a minute. Some leaks are real slow so only give a little "fuzz" and no big bubbles.

Be sure to use either a metal valve cap with a good sealing "O" ring in it or the external TPM sensor.

If none of above then cover tread area.

Once you have identified to location of the air leak then you will know what to "fix"