Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #29

I appreciate the comments, and it this were my bicycle, I might try some of these avenues...

I paid thousands of dollars less than a year ago, have only a couple hundred miles on these tires, and lifetime flat repair.

I ain't gonna do much at all. I'm going to pump it up, and see if it will hold air for a day. If it does, I will pump it full, drive it to the tire shop, and let them break the sweat.

I'm just kicking myself for having removed perfectly good tires that worked well and held air for years, but had timed out, even though they looked great and were not cracked. I installed nice looking tires that go flat. And I spent more on the tires than I did on the motor home to begin with. (I did get the motor home at a ridiculous low price.)
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #30

Three years ago I changed my tires through the FMCA Michelin advantage program and kept one of my old tires planning on keeping it in the MH. I did not have a place to store a spare.
This past Oct I had a blow out south of Fort Pane Al. I called Coach Net, they called back in about 20 minutes, they located a tire in Chattanooga tn. for $611.00. I approved the price and about 3 1/2 hrs later we were back on the road. I thought that this was very good service since I was over 50 miles from Chattanooga. I only paid for the tire. My only disappointment was the Michelin tire failed after 3 years and they would not provide any assistance.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #31

I'm putting sensors on my tires to monitor tire pressure and temperature. I'll feel safer going down the road in the spring from MO to Cal.
Jerrysizemor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #32

I have a spare that looks pristine and has resided in the storage bay since 1999. Useable as a spare?
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #33

I like the back carrier idea but wonder it interferes with the rear radiator air flow. Has any body else considered this?

Sent from my TM800A612RG using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrysizemor View Post
I'm putting sensors on my tires to monitor tire pressure and temperature. I'll feel safer going down the road in the spring from MO to Cal.
Good point. Before you load a spare into your precious basement space, put a TPMS on your rig.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
I have a spare that looks pristine and has resided in the storage bay since 1999. Useable as a spare?
Have a tire shop look at it. Should be OK to use in an emergency as long as it only has to get to someplace you can buy a new tire.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
The tire body ply steel can be damaged if the tire looses say 80+% of its air, even if there is zero rolling. It is possible to "kink" the steel cord which will significantly weaken the cord in that location.

RE 10 miles limping with one tire of a pair of duals flat. The 100% overloaded tire almost certainly suffered internal structural damage from being driven on and should be replaced. There are charts for overload vs speed and 100% overload speed limit is about 2 mph as I recall.
If you read my post (and you must have) you will see that I replaced all the tires the next week after I drove the rig some 300 miles at highway speeds. Since I run my tires at the cold pressure on the sidewall (as per Country Coach's recommendations in the owners manual) and the weight on those 315/80's isn't anywhere close to max I'm not as "overloaded" as most are. The tag, with it's 365/70 tires helped too. Plus, there was no visible damage either inside or outside, but then I didn't x-ray the tire either so it might have blown out in another few feet, no way to know.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
My only disappointment was the Michelin tire failed after 3 years and they would not provide any assistance.
Three years of use and you're trying to get a tire manufacturer to warranty a tire? Front or rear tire? What was the cause of the blowout, what model and size of tire, was the tire damaged by road debris, road hazard or run flat condition?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Have a tire shop look at it. Should be OK to use in an emergency as long as it only has to get to someplace you can buy a new tire.
If I were the tire shop guy, and you brought me a tire with a date of 1999, I'd at least refuse any opinion on it, and most likely try to sell you a new one, because:
1) IT'S 17 YEARS OLD!! The old addage "you touch it, you own it" means my professional opinion for you to keep this relic might make me liable when this dinosaur blows and you seem like a guy interested in gathering money from wherever you can, as evidence, I give you -- YOUR TIRE. (buy a newer one for heck sake)
2) I'm a tire guy. I make money selling tires. I pay for my house, keep it lit and warm, put food on the table and clothe my wife and kids, I fund college accounts and our retirement account, I keep the wolves at bay BY SELLING TIRES! Not by telling some cheapskate "oh yeah, it's only 17 years old. What could possibly go wrong?"

In my mind, there is not enough room in my rig for a 17 year old spare. Or the tux I wore to my highschool prom, both seem to have outlived there worth. Of course, you have a TPMS, right?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If he's stuck in the middle of nowhere, and nobody has a tire, he can get his ancient spare put on the back (definitely not front) and limp into some town where he can get a new replacement. Trust me, there are places out there that will not have your size. JMHO. Also lots of places that don't have cell service to call some help. He otherwise likely would have no spare.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 01-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #40

TonyMac brings up a good point.

It is very hard to get an honest and objective opinion about most anything. Many people you may want a professional opinion from have some other motive other than the truth. They have kids in college and bills to pay. Regardless of their honesty, it is humanly impossible to not consider those things.

There are also legal considerations they consider. Even if 95% of tires in the condition of yours will be fine, that 5% will weigh heavy on the legal aspect.

It is kind of like watching news on television. There simply are no single good sources of data anymore. Everything is slanted with an agenda. While some are easy to spot, others are not so easy. But ALL are slanted.

You can get a reasonable opinion from people who do not have a financial interest in your tire, but they are hard to find. Take it to an analysis lab to do a proper test, and you will spend more money than a replacement tire.

Replace it, and you may wind up in my situation with new tires that go flat when the aged out tires never did.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:18 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
TonyMac brings up a good point.
Replace it, and you may wind up in my situation with new tires that go flat when the aged out tires never did.
Chances are you will never need that spare. And if you do, a 17 or 20 year old tire will get you to a place you can buy a new tire. Much better than sitting and waiting a day or more. If you are close to some place that has a new tire, well, OK, get it. Nothing lost. If you have room, take it along. JMHO.
BTW. I have driven on 30 year old tires, and not had a problem!
Old 01-22-2017, 06:25 AM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
My Pace Arrow is a 1999.I have a factory spare. It was made in 1998. Last year we had to use it on our way to Savannah, Ga.
The spare made it fine halfway to Savannah and back. As soon as I got back to Atlanta, I washed it and put it back in the basement. Ready for the next time I need it.