Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #1

Noise when Hot Water is turned on

We’ve been living in RV FT since Nov 2019. Yesterday out of the blue, when the hot water is turned on, there’s a whining sound that seems to be coming from the hot water heater. It only makes the noise when the hot water is turned on. No noise when it’s just cold water. It happens no matter which faucet you turn on, bath room, kitchen, outside. I thought maybe air in the lines, so I drained the hot water heater. No change. Any ideas, thoughts suggestions?
Thanks, Dave
dlvgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
More than likely it's the one way check valve on the back of the water heater. These are know to vibrate when water is flowing.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #3

YEP^^^^^

Water Heater HOT Out 'check valve' is failing
It is a cheap plastic plunger/spring/o-ring assembly in the 'nipple' screwed into WH Tank

**Winnebago sometimes uses TWO.....one in Hot Out and also one in COLD Inlet (either could cause the noise but typically Hot Out)

Scale/calicum build up, o-ring gets dislodged, spring weakens etc.
Replace it (water supply OFF, pressure relieved, unscrew hot water line fitting, unscrew nipple----replace with new then connect hot water line)
Or wait until it blocks hot water flow completely --- usually when on a camping trip

Check valves are used instead of shutoff valve because they are cheaper/less labor and can be installed in water heater prior to installation in RV

Check valves are used for 'winterizing' ------prevents backflow thru hot out when WH Tank is Bypassed

I prefer a Hot shutoff valve vs those cheap check valves

Example of water heater plumbing using a check valve
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
More than likely it's the one way check valve on the back of the water heater. These are know to vibrate when water is flowing.
Found them. Thank you.
Old 06-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #5

The Atwood water heater on our coach makes a high-pitched sound when the electric element is on. You could call it a "whine." It is faint.

And, the water heater has no check valves, I having removed them and converted to a three-valve system.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:07 PM   #6

I prefer no check valves at all! I spent 3 days taking cold showers while I was trying to find a shop (on the road) who would replace my OEM check valve without success -- and then I took matters in my own hands.

... My recommendation is to leave the check valve in place and drill it out if you have room for a drill. If not you will need to remove the check valve with a big 1-1/8" (?) wrench so you have enough leverage ...a large crescent wrench may not provide. (TBD)

... Drill and remove the check valve guts to turn the check valve into a nipple

... Reattach the PVC with a new donut inside you can get at any trailer/RV shop (Just 50-cents so I recommend buy a couple extra.)

... Use Teflon tape and do not over tighten the PVC.

NOTE: Most people don't have that much space behind their Hot Water Hear to work with.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #7

This is what I found. I can only access it through an opening when I pull out a small drawer. I have an RV service center down the street, so I should be able to get a replacement valve. Does the process go like this: Turn off water, turn off and drain hot water heater, put big wrench on valve and unscrew it from tank. Teflon tape new one and screw it in. Turn everything back on and hope that nothing leaks. Did I miss anything?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3557B924-E02D-4299-889C-ACF96AE35925.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	288893  
Old 06-09-2020, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlvgolf View Post
. . . put big wrench on valve and unscrew it from tank.
Two big wrenches, as it may take some wellie to get it off. Or not. But if it does, you may damage the tank or fitting if you don't put a wrench in that inner hex.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
I prefer no check valves at all! I spent 3 days taking cold showers while I was trying to find a shop (on the road) who would replace my OEM check valve without success -- and then I took matters in my own hands.

... My recommendation is to leave the check valve in place and drill it out if you have room for a drill. If not you will need to remove the check valve with a big 1-1/8" (?) wrench so you have enough leverage ...a large crescent wrench may not provide. (TBD)

... Drill and remove the check valve guts to turn the check valve into a nipple

... Reattach the PVC with a new donut inside you can get at any trailer/RV shop (Just 50-cents so I recommend buy a couple extra.)

... Use Teflon tape and do not over tighten the PVC.

NOTE: Most people don't have that much space behind their Hot Water Hear to work with.

No need to do any drilling

Remove check valve
On tank side of nipple is a small plastic clip oin end of plunger
Needle nose pliers...remove clip then push plunger/spring out the other end of nipple.

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 06:34 PM   #10

Changed out hot water valve. Noise went away. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #11

I just replace mine too, sucker sang like a song bird. Will now in a day or so if the problem is fixed. Good thread, thanks for the fix gentlemen.

Tags
noise, water