Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #15

Thanks Chuck,

Mine has only 4K miles and I discovered it during an inspection of the rear area while the wife was driving. We plan on doing some long trips in it some day, and I thought to myself, there is no way I could sleep back there with that noise going on, this can't be right. We've operated over the road trucks as a team and never had an issue with diff noise with any of them. But since the diff in the tractor truck is not right under the bunk like the MH, I had to get more input to decide rather or not to check into a possible warranty claim. Thanks for your reply.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #16

How many miles do you have on your monaco?
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #17

if it howels under acceleration or during decell its a incorrect C+P setting or factory match period.
If it whines while on the gas steady then its most likey a bad/over tight pinion Bearing
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:45 AM   #18

Location: Where ever we park but currently in Nine Mile Falls, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Thank you all for the replies,
I'm now sure it is the ring and pinion set up. I'm having the wife setup an appointment with Cummins Atlantic in Kenly, NC.

Ken I'm glad to hear you got your issue taken care of, but there has to be a mistake in communication some where when you got the planetary gears mixed in the repair. Sorry but we have no planetary gears in our DP differentials, only in the transmissions.There are axles out there that use that system to keep the gear ratio low and not have a massive differential unit to do it. But that's not what we use.

Since this is my first DP, I needed to hear from you experienced guys to be sure I was right in thinking this is not normal. I hope this will be a one stop shop fix and not end up fighting with it like I've read above from some of you. Again, thanks so much for sharing your experiences on this issue.

I'll try to keep you guys informed, good shops are sometimes hard to find.
Maybe I have my terminology confused but the 4 small meshing gears in the rear end were the ultimate problem. They compared it to a known good rear and you could visibly see the difference in play. The whine occurred on acceleration and decel. They played with the torque on the pinion to no avail. But it is fixed now and 10k miles later it is still good to go. Apparently these rear ends are shimmed differently for different applications. This was the entire problem with the new rear end. Took 4 rear ends to figure it out.
trabuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #19

I would assume the spline has been well greased and universal joints.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:57 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
Most probably know them as spider gears Ken. Glad you have yours fixed. Enjoy your adventures and be safe
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:29 AM   #21

Location: Where ever we park but currently in Nine Mile Falls, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Most probably know them as spider gears Ken. Glad you have yours fixed. Enjoy your adventures and be safe
I knew that......just testing you guys! LOL
trabuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by trabuco View Post
I knew that......just testing you guys! LOL
they DO NOT whine Period. nada never happened (spider gears)
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote