Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 3
Non-Commercial class A Driving test

Hello everyone, I have been having a heck of a time trying to find out from Nevada DMV when I take my driving test, do I just need to bring my class A motor home?
My motor home is 24,000 lbs GVWR, and eventually will be dolly towing kia < 3500 lbs GVWR for a combined GCWR of 27,500 lbs.
Any ideas??? No one at Nevada DMV seems to know the answer.
Any help would be appreciated.
Roadgypsy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free! RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 37
Hope this helps

I looked on line and the Nevada DMV lists what each class is allowed to tow.

Class C
Cars, vans, pickups, mopeds, and other vehicles with a weight (GVWR) of 26,000 pounds or less; allows towing of a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less. Class C license holders may tow a combination of vehicles not to exceed 70 feet in length. If the GVWR of the towed vehicles exceeds 10,000 pounds, an Endorsement J is required.

Class A
Combination vehicles, such as tractor-trailers, with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the vehicle being towed has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 10,001 pounds or more. See the Commercial Driver Handbook.

Here is the link to this page

Hope this helps.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
2020 Ford F-150 4X4 Super Crew
RVI Brake 3, Tire Patrol & Charge Monitor
RVNuthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
Ucbyrickg's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,251
I drove my motor home to take my test with just the permit. Technically a class B driver or greater, should drive the coach there and be prepared to drive it home if you fail, that is only if your state requires it. I called the police department in the city where a was taking the test and explained the scenario, they said be sure the tags and insurance are valid but maybe have someone follow just in the event that I was to get pulled over they could offer an alternative. Iím not sure if insurance could deny a claim in the event of an accident for an improperly licensed driver. I do know you are supposed to take the test in the vehicle you plan to drive or one very similar. I have heard that you can pay class a drivers to drive you and the coach there and then you drive them home after you pass.

The hardest thing on the Road test was backing in to a very small opening that you canít see using mirrors and if you hit the cones you fail but I was allowed to use the back up camera.

But even harder than that was going over the extremely extensive and detailed pre-trip inspection. They will expect you to know everything in your state book and explain it all to them from memory as if they have no idea what youíre talking about. Make sure youíre driving rig is free of any maintenance issues including cracked broken or not working lights windows wipers tires or any leaks whatsoever. Be sure your airbrake cut offĎs are working correctly gauges and air alarm. I would practice many many times the airbrake test procedure. You must remember all the numbers in the book for simple things like minimum tire tread depth, slack adjuster requirements and Air brake psi cut offs. You will also need to identify almost every common system in the engine compartment and point to it. I would have your wife or someone act as a test giver and go over it with them many many times.

Good luck

Rick Goodrum
Ucbyrickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:29 PM   #4
Senior Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,437
Welcome to the forum. Good news, you can relax and not worry about taking any tests. Being a Nevada resident during the years we were full-timing, I can assure you that you do not need a non-commercial license.

As RVNuthouse has posted, a "normal" Class C license is all you need as your motorhome is under 26,000 lbs. GVWR, and you are allowed to tow with your motorhome that is under 26,000 lbs. GVWR, a toad or vehicle on a dolly as long as it is under 10,000 lbs. GVWR. Your Kia on a dolly is well under 10,000 lbs. GVWR. And you should be well below the GCWR that would require a non-commercial Class A or a "J" endorsement.

Therefore you are well under the requirements where you'd need a "non-commercial Class B" license.

So you can forget about contacting the DMV to take any tests as you can drive your motorhome and toad on a dolly without anything other than the license you now possess.

The reason for the DMV not knowing much about what's required may be because Nevada requires you to use one of their CDL testing locations for non-commercial license testing rather than a just any DMV location so some of those working at the other DMV locations have no idea of the CDL and non-commercial requirements ...or so I have found. The CDL locations are in Carson City, Elko, Sparks, Winnemucca, and the North Las Vegas office on Donovan Way. They no longer do CDL testing at Tonopah where they once did.

Most diesel pushers are rated at or over 26,000 lbs GVWR so if you do ever upgrade to a diesel pusher, yes, you'd then need a "non-commercial Class B" license and you should contact one of those offices to take the tests.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Elko, Nv
Posts: 2,303
Theroc is correct.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90
MSHappyCampers's Avatar

Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 53,631
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Don't know anything about Nevada so can't comment. Noticed you are new on the forum and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Joe & Annette
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.....
2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #7
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 3
Nevada Non-commercial class A driving test

Thank you everyone for your replies. I truly appreciate them. It appears from your answers, I only need my current Class C.
The conflicting information from Nevada DMV certainly makes the subject harder than it needs to be. The info presented by the DMV about over 26001 pounds was quite confusing.
Thanks again everyone and stay safe out there.

2019 Jayco Precept
34 G
Roadgypsy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #8
Senior Member
loranimal's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Newport TN / St.Paul Island AK
Posts: 338
When I took my test a few years back, it was at the Fallon location. They set up cones at the fairgrounds for the parking/back part then do a road test. You only need the MH no toad.

Carl & Barb - 2006 Monaco Signature - Commander
loranimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #9
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 44
[QUOTE= Technically a class B driver or greater, should drive the coach there and be prepared to drive it home if you fail,
That opens another "can of worms" as most insurance policies issued today will name specified drivers for the MH.
gmiller46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
Senior Member
KanzKran's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,944
Originally Posted by gmiller46 View Post
That opens another "can of worms" as most insurance policies issued today will name specified drivers for the MH.
If you have a learnerís permit, isnít the second driver, with appropriate class designation, only there to comply with the requirements of the permit? In other words, you still drive your own rig, but with a Class 2 or 1 driver in the coach to make it legal. Or is that not correct? I accompanied several drivers over the years for their CDL driving tests, and I only sat in the right seat to make it legal, but that was long ago, including before there actually was such a thing as a commercial license (just by weight class, and state by state back then).
Tom & Jeri
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24T Li3
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #11
Senior Member
Ucbyrickg's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,251
I would check with the commercial dmv in your state or the highway patrol.

This is a subject that many refuse to accept the laws in their own state because they have been driving unknowingly forever illegally.

The people that know the laws and issue tickets, only go by the gross combined vehicle weight rating. If you drive a 9k lb. dually that has a CVWR of 30k you can drive it loaded below the 26,100lbs limit on a standard license, once you add a trailer or toy hauler that exceeds the GVWR you are now required to carry a class B or class A non commercial license. This is true with the vehicle you described as well, and it may be over the 26,100 with all the tanks full and full of passengers and cargo, unless your state, as some do, have no weight restrictions for non commercial vehicles.
Rick Goodrum
Ucbyrickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #12
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Elko, Nv
Posts: 2,303
Nevada only goes by weight rating and registration if applicable. In the case of his motorhome registration is not. If he connected a trailer with a gvwr of 10k or more then he would need an endorsement or a class A.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
Senior Member
robertkathy's Avatar
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: fulltime
Posts: 680
each state listed on this link
2006 winnebago adventurer 38t 2018 carry-on hawkline enclosed 8.5x20 2007 mini cooper convertible 2012 hd xl1200c
robertkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #14
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Elko, Nv
Posts: 2,303
What that link does not tell you at least in Nevada that its the rating, not actual weight that requires the endorsements or different class dl. Example, if you pull a trailer that has a gvwr of 11000 lbs and even if its empty and weighed 3000 you would need the endorsement or different class. Sites like that are just not accurate enough to trust. Goes back to towing doubles and those sites, just not accurate. But hey its on the internet so it must be true.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote

class a, test

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Class B Non-commercial test in PA KCBless Class A Motorhome Discussions 31 01-17-2023 03:58 PM
Non Commercial CDL Test Help in PA Desiday Class A Motorhome Discussions 3 10-23-2019 04:55 AM
Has anyone taken the California Non-commercial Class B driving test? dpinvidic Class A Motorhome Discussions 55 09-14-2017 12:25 PM
Taking my driving test for class B non commercial tomorrow(10/23/14) in Sacramento Ca 2NewRVers Class A Motorhome Discussions 32 11-12-2014 09:37 AM
PA Non-Commercial Class B license rmmpe Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 8 02-10-2008 02:50 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.