Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #1

Norcold 1200 lr weight

I'll likely be replacing the cooling unit on our Norcold 1200 lr. Does anyone know the weight of the individual doors on the unit. The Norcold catalog says the total weight of unit is 244 lbs. I need to know the weight of doors so I know the weight I will have to handle while replacing the cooling unit.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2018, 10:42 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When I replaced the cooling unit on the 1200 I built a ramp so the unit could be slid right out of the hole onto the ramp. I built another ramp that starts out the same height and slopes down to the floor.

We slid the fridge out, down the ramp, and onto the doors on the floor. We used furniture pads under it.

The hard part is getting it back up that ramp when you're finished! I don't know what the weight is, but it's HEAVY! A friend and I did the job!

I would highly recommend the DutchAire cooling unit from David Force at RV Cooling unit warehouse!

https://rvcoolingunit.com/1200LR-Nor...sh-P13259.aspx
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #3

I have yet to do it, but a new friend of mine had his done by the Amish factory in Shipshewana, IN. He said they had four guys to get it out and back in. He has a coach similar to mine and I have no idea how 4 guys could even get near my Norcold at the same time. If you're doing it alone, build jigs like the prior poster mentioned. He also mentioned it was around $300 for them to install it. Just a bit more than just the shipping.. although you need to pay for fuel to get there.. If you are having it shipped you might want to pay extra to try to get them to crate it as apparently they are easily bent in shipping with their normal boxing.

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. The 1200 lr refrig with doors weigh is 244 lbs. I was planning to remove the doors and other items that I could strip to reduce weight. I like the idea of having the Amish factory do it for $300. I'll check. I changed the cooling unit on our 10 cu ft frig so $300 for install is a great price.

Thanks for idea of a ramp. I had planned to build a stand and use the couch cushions to support the frig .
Old 04-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #5

Norcold 1200 lr weight

I did mine solo. I took the doors off. Probably about 75ish total pounds I am guessing. I built a deck out of 2x4 and 2x6 the same height at the cabinet bottom. Slid the fridge onto it and then used ratchet straps to secure the fridge to it. It was an all day job.

After about a year or so the fridge wasn’t performing well and we happen to be in the area of Shipshewanna. I made an appt with JR at the factory to get it looked at. He and his two sons had the fridge with the doors still on out of the cabinet in about 10 minutes and the cooling unit replace and the fridge working in less than 3 hours. Well worth it. And what a great community.

I would recommend making the trip to let them do it.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've had the doors off my 1200LRIM but never weighed them. They aren't real heavy, maybe 20# each.

My recollection is that 244# is the shipping weight and that the fridge itself is about 206#, but my memory could be faulty.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is no need to remove anything. Just buy a Harbor Freight furniture dolly and add wood bracing to get it to the height of the Norcold. Slide the Norcold out onto the dolly and work on it while it's on the dolly. You can easily rotate it and move it as necessary.

With all that said, you won't be happy with replacing the cooling unit. It will still be an inadequate poor cooling refer. Many have the new cooling units fail a few years later. If you're handy and can change the cooling unit, you're handy enough to put a residential unit in it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:38 AM   #8

My Amish cooling unit was replaced. I am happy with it. It is not inadequate nor is it a poor cooling refer.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
My Amish cooling unit was replaced. I am happy with it. It is not inadequate nor is it a poor cooling refer.
Jake, how long have you had the new cooling unit? I am happily using my Norcold and would replace the cooling unit instead of going the residential fridge road. I will be putting in an ARC to hopefully add to the current units longevity. -Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #10

Initially replaced the original unit about three years ago. Worked great for about 2 years, then it started struggling when outside temps were hot. Had it looked at last year by the factory in Shipshewanna. When they pulled it out, we noticed moisture between the cooling unit and the fridge cabinet. Bad seal by the original installer (me). Installed new unit and it is running great.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #11

I think we are going to have it replaced at coil factory. For $300 I don't think I want to tackle it. I replaced our 1062 coil and that was about 5 or 6 years ago. Not too bad but i'm 5 years older and this unit weighs about twice the old one.

The factory has a 120 v electric residential type coil replacement. They say it runs on 120 volts and pulls 1 amp running and about 8 amps starting current, will fit our 1200 LR so we are considering converting to ac current and compressor. The invertor will run it and maybe that will be the excuse I use to add solar system.

Thanks for you help and comments.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
The Norcold doors are fairly light, but if you build a dolly like Don described it’s easier to just leave the doors on.

On our Windsor we replaced the Norcold cooling unit once, and then the entire refrigerator and it still went out again 3 years later. It took 10 years but I finally had enough and installed a residential refrigerator. The Frigidaire we installed only used .8 amps at 110V.

The Norcold in our Signature quit 30 miles from the dealership. The red light on the recall box was on. I reset it and it quit again. The first thing I did when we got home was remove the Norcold and installed a Samsung RF18. The Samsung is less than half the price of a Norcold and infinitely better. It has LED lights, makes tons of ice, has a great bottom freezer my wife loves, and will run on 1.8 amps of 110v AC. It only takes 2 hours for the Samsung to cool down vs 2-3 days for the Norcold. I used to get upset at the Grandkids for opening the Norcold doors constantly. With the Samsung I don't even think about it anymore.

I also found the AC drain line passing behind the Norcold was badly burned. It looked like a fire just waiting to happen.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Post #6 is accurate as to the weight 20-25 is all.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Could someone post a link to this compressor or "residential type" replacement cooling unit for a Norcold 12xx? Or at leasy identify the factory source? I've seen a couple references to it being available but can't find it anywhere, e.g. not at RVcoolingunit.com or rvcool.com.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, weight