Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2021, 11:00 AM   #1

Norcold circulating fan

I read a post (that I cannot find now) for installing a Arctic F12 fan to the fins for improved cooling and reduced frost buildup. Looking for best way to mount it. Also, I assume it should be oriented to pull air away from the fins and into the space. Is that correct?
JHSJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #2

Inside the food compartment?

Blows towards the Fins causing airflow thru/up-down cold fins

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The orientation shouldn't make any difference as long as air circulates in the interior. You are just avoiding an extra-cold pool of air adjacent to the fins and warm spots elsewhere.

Be aware that frost on the fins comes from excess moisture in the fridge. Reducing moisture has more effect than a fan, cause the fins will always be cold enough to freeze any airborne moisture. Don't leave the door open while you look, make sure door seals are good, avoid uncovered foods that will bleed moisture into the interior, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #4

Thanks for quick reply! Are those some type of clips used to mount it?
JHSJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 11:52 AM   #5
US1

I have the fan unit from JC Refrigeration which uses alligator clips to attach to the fins.
Old 01-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some more reading.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Arct...earch=irv2.com
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:09 PM   #7

My last motor home I band clipped a fan on the bottom of the bottom shelf blowing up. It was behind a cutout for gallon jugs and I didn't think anything would ever end up in that small space.

This one has no cutout but does have a very narrow shelf below the cooling fins, the fan is mounted on the bottom of that shelf blowing up.

The link below is the fan I used this time. Ball bearings will last longer than sleeve bearings, important when something runs 24 hours a day. The refrigerators aren't very large, a fan that moves 15-20 CFM will generally be 2-3 times the refrigerator volume and keep the air stirred up sufficiently.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you pull the cover off the light you can find power before the door switch and a ground, the fan above only uses .3 amp so it will easily run off the light wires. No batteries to change, it runs as long as the refrigerator is turned on.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:52 PM   #8

I don't feel exact placement is all that important as as long as it is blowing into the fins, the air flow will then circulate around the other fins and churn up the air in the refrigerator, it does not take much air flow to do this. This is why something like the Arctic F12 Silent low rpm fan makes sense https://smile.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F12-...dp/B0119T0D4I/ as it will churn up the air, but also not draw as many amps and therefore not radiate as much heat as a similar high flow fan. Note the standard Arctic F12 runs at 1350 rpm and draws more amps, compared to the F12 Silent at 800 rpm
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, norcold