Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2020, 10:29 AM   #1

Norcold fridge

Hi all
I have a norcold fridge n811,power board 628661,works fine on electric but when you try to light on gas both lights on the control panel flash,you check outside behind the panel you can hear the igniter going click click click for about a dozen times with the pilot light on and a nice blue flame but then the solenoid clicks and the flame goes out.i have tried the hard lockout reset but still the same happens.
Any ideas before I buy a new board.
prento is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't know without a little research but wild guess would be some sort of thermocouple that gets heated and keeps the gas flowing. Will look when I can get to my computer.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #3

I don't have a Norcold but a Dometic and the only issue I had was similar to yours. All I did was take a vacuum cleaner with a flexible hose and vacuum out the chimney and all the other areas that I could reach. Started right up. I now do this every spring.

I hope it's that simple...sometimes it is...Good luck!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:25 PM   #4

I have a Norcold that does the very same thing after a long period (month or more) of non activity. It's done this for a good 15 years. I turn it on, the tic tic tic starts, the burner lights, and there'll be a nice blue flame engulfing the electrode. However, the tic tic tic of ignition doesn't stop and after a few seconds, the board kills the gas valve. It's like the board isn't getting signal from the electrode.

What's weird, and doesn't make any sense to me, is that I can lightly tap the burner's flare fitting and get things working. For whatever reason, a few light taps gets the tic tic tic to slow and then with a few more taps, eventually stop. All is well after this and I can turn the frig off and restart it hours or even days later without any problem.

Of course this isn't the recommended fix but if you do decide to try it, note that I said light taps. Being that it is the propane line, I certainly wouldn't go to taking a hammer to it.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That little blue flame isn't a pilot light - it's the actual heater flame. The N811 has DSI (spark ignition), not a pilot light.

The gas solenoid gets shut off if the controller does not get positive feedback of ignition. That comes from the flame sensor that is incorporated in the igniter. It generates a very low voltage signal back to the controller and it can easily be lost if the wire connections is slightly corroded. First step is to remove and clean the connection at the controller board terminal.

You can get a service manual here:

http://rvrefrigeratorrepair.com/wp-c...-N61x-N81x.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:26 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That little blue flame isn't a pilot light - it's the actual heater flame. The N811 has DSI (spark ignition), not a pilot light.

The gas solenoid gets shut off if the controller does not get positive feedback of ignition. That comes from the flame sensor that is incorporated in the igniter. It generates a very low voltage signal back to the controller and it can easily be lost if the wire connections is slightly corroded. First step is to remove and clean the connection at the controller board terminal.

You can get a service manual here:

http://rvrefrigeratorrepair.com/wp-c...-N61x-N81x.pdf
What Gray posted. Same goes for a DSI water heater. A poor ground thru any of the various meter parts from the thermocouple all the way back to the controller will easily degrade and disable the flame sensor.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #7

Norcold fridge

Thanks for all your suggestions the fault was a dirty burner tube,cleaned it all out now starts first time.
prento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by prento View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions the fault was a dirty burner tube,cleaned it all out now starts first time.

Yup, I had the same problem a while back and now I add that cleaning task to my spring cleaning list. Takes 5 minutes and no worries the rest of the season.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:23 PM   #9

Similar problem with my fridge. Here is how I fixed It.

SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a trip last fall I had a water heater that had failed and had fire back out of the burner tube to destroy the control valve and thermostats. AT least it did not burn down the entire RV! Upon inspection found a mud wrabler nest deep inside the burner tube. Cleaned that out and replaced the damaged parts and happily continued with the trip.

I have since added bug screen guards on both the water heater and furnace panels to keep such pests out. I would still recommend pull the burner tubes every year and clean them from any blockage.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold