Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #99

So far my Dometic side-by-side reefer still works OK with the cavaat that you must start it 2 days before your planned departure on a trip. The ice maker crapped out long ago, long ago and I have a countertop ice maker which works fine. This being said, if the Dometic quits, I'll likely go with a res reefer because I can get one a lot cheaper than a new absorption fridge. Of course, I'll have to pay to have it installed and most likely a windshield removal...
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
So far my Dometic side-by-side reefer still works OK with the cavaat that you must start it 2 days before your planned departure on a trip. The ice maker crapped out long ago, long ago and I have a countertop ice maker which works fine. This being said, if the Dometic quits, I'll likely go with a res reefer because I can get one a lot cheaper than a new absorption fridge. Of course, I'll have to pay to have it installed and most likely a windshield removal...
If the windshield has to come out to remove the old absorption reefer... the rest is moot. If the old unit will go out the entry door, then finding a unit that will go IN the same way is helpful.

How much cold storage do you need to meet up with they way your RV is used? Lots of choices in the 12 cu ft range. How much of the reefer compartment modifications are your comfortable doing yourself?
Old 07-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #101

I have the Norcold 1200 four door frig. It was problematic and after 8 years of service I decided to do something about it. It so happened that I was going throughIndiana and I contacted JR Refrigeration who specializes in absorption frig upgrades. I chose a replacement cooling unit and it took them only 2 hours to take out my frig, replace the cooling unit and reinstall. Since I now live in Las Vegas it takes several days to cool down into the 30’s but once we hit the road all is good. My only caveat is to start your frig in the evening because it will go into defrost mode about 48 hrs later and you want that to happen late at nightPreferably while you are asleep.

JR does offer a compressor option, that fits neatly behind your existing frig and if you have ac power behind the frig, or you can wire into your inverter circuit and you’re good to go.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
I replaced my Norcold with a res refer, and it was a fairly simple job (and I'm not DYI guy). I unbolted the Norcold and took off the doors, the coils etc bolted to the back and it went out the door (need 2 people obviously). Same with the new frig, doors off to go thru the MH door. Install was pretty simple too. My electric panel had an open slot on the inverter side.
TriCitySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:27 PM   #103
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrizie78 View Post
I'm new and Im sure this has been beat to death, but freezer cools to about 10 degrees, but fridge only cools to about 50 or so? just got it back from a service center who replaced the thermistor on the fins , reset the fault codes, and verified cooling fans are operational . this is either on a/c or LP. THoughts?

As silly as this sounds, it has been the cause of this problem for many Norcold four-door owners.

Look at the bottom in the center between the doors. Is there a Made in the USA sticker and does it look slightly chewed up? If so, it’s keeping the door seals from fully engaging. This just happened to a friend.

My new 1210 has that sticker set further back from the doors.

FWIW,

Ray

Tags
fridge, norcold