Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #1

Norcold frig won't get cold- Help Please

Norcold frig won't get cold- Help Please
Hello Friends, I have a 2007 Four Winds Hurricane 30Q that I bought new in 2007. I only have 12,000 miles on it and I'm happy with it. My problem is the Norcold frig and freezer won't get cold. The model # N611 serial # 10195786 and I called to see if it was on the recall list and it is not. When I am plugged in 30 amp and turn the frig switch on the green light comes on as it should but will not cool. The light doesn't flash any codes and I have the switch turned to the coldest setting. Then I unplugged from power and tried on propane gas and that didn't cool it either. The frig light comes on in both modes and I pulled the outside access panel when on gas and it had a flame in the pipe flue and looked OK to me. I also checked the switches and fuses under the side of the bed and again looked OK to me. It was working great until my wife emptied it out preparing for storage. She said everything was good and cold. I went to clean it a few days later and it was thawed out. I thought maybe there was a power outage so I switched off then back on but no cool. Can I get any ideas here? Thanks, Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It could be that your cooling unit has gone bad. When my Dometic died I could smell ammonia when I took the outside access panel off. There was also significant corrosion on the tubes. Good luck! There is no cheap or easy fix for a bad cooling unit.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #3

Unfortunately sounds like your cooling system is dead. The ammonia will crystallize over time from running it off level. It will allow the fluid to flow less and less until it flows not enough to cool the unit. Your options are to rebuild the cooling system or replace the unit.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I did not smell any ammonia and didn't notice any corrosion on the lines. I will check it out better tomorrow. Any other thoughts? cueman
Old 11-01-2016, 09:34 PM   #5
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Amish cooling units are reported to be the best. I bought an Articold that has served me flawlessly, but the company has an F rating from the BBB so I no longer recommend them. There are several DYI videos on replacing your cooling unit.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here's a link to the service manual: http://www.liveworkdream.com/wp-cont...coldmanual.pdf

Look through that and there's a troubleshooting section that may help.

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-01-2016, 11:10 PM   #7

Few components are shared by electric and propane systems so when fridge is not getting cold on either heat source it limits suspect lists

**Ventilation....check backside and see if any insulation has come loose and is blocking natural draft. Heat can't be removed if air flow is obstructed
**Level......gravity flow is critical to cooling unit function.
**Thermistor.....failed sensor and fridge thermostat has no reference for cooling
**Door seals..can't cool what can't be kept sealed.
**Cooling Unit. Obstructions/blockage internal disrupts liquid to vapor to liquid cycle
******Cracked tube----ammonia leaks out, sodium chromate leaves yellowish residue around burner. Visual inspection of burner area ---yellow powder. DONE

IF no leaks, good ventilation and fridge is level then quick test for bad cooling unit:
Disconnect thermistor leads at light assembly wire harness
Set temp set point to coolest setting
Place thermometer in glass of water on top shelf
Operate fridge on electric for 4 hours and then check back of freezer plate for cooling
After 8 hours on electric check temp on thermometer.......S/B be below 35*F

After 8 hours of forced cooling (no thermistor) fridge will be very cold in freezer and cold in food compartment IF ---IF ---- cooling unit is not bad
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #8

WOW! Thank you all so much! I'm going to be working on the frig this weekend and will let you all know what I find. What a fantastic source of info. that you all are willing to share. cueman
Old 11-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #9

Some good trouble shooting info here:
Bryant R.V. Services

If you need a cooling unit, I have used these folks, great service and pricing:
RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

Being a '07, and not working on either gas or elec I would think the cooling unit is possibly bad. It is not hard to change out a cooling unit on a small frig like you have.

Good Luck Jim
Old 11-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #10

OK my friends, As per Old-Biscuts reply, I disconnected the wires that go to the interior frig light and thermistor (sp) and put a thermometer in a glass of water that was 64 degrees, then turned frig on to run on gas. I will let it run 8 hours and see what happens. then I will do the same test on electric and report back. I checked with dealer and he said around $1,600 for new frig installed. Does that sound about right? cueman
Old 11-06-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The Norcold 1200's (4 door refer) were/are very problematic, but you rarely hear about issues with other models. I doubt you have a bad cooling unit. More than likely an electronic issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #12

Thanks Dutch Star Dan, that's what I need to figure out next. cueman
Old 11-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #13

Thanks Dutch Star Don, that's what I need to figure out next. cueman
Old 11-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #14
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why a complete new frig? You can replace the part that is bad -- the cooling unit or the mother board is the most likely culprit. If your dealer didn't suggest fixing the unit you have I'd suggest you find a new dealer.

Tags
norcold