Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2020, 08:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
An absorbtion fridge, properly installed and operated is among the safest appliances known to man. AND the best for off grid use.

Install an ARPRV module and their aux fan setup, and your rig will be safer and operating wonderfully.

Better than a whole new system of issues with inverter, extra batteries charger, etc.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have spent quite a bit of time talking with JC and will be going there in March to get the change over. I also have the 4 door Norcold with both safety devices but still have problems - had to remove one because it kept shutting down the Refer even though there was no apparent problem. It works but I still don't feel like I can trust it. I am going for the 12v system - I don't have an inverter and the 12v will keep the refer just as cold as the 120v system according to JC (just takes a little longer to cool originally). I have a 120v/12v refer on my boat that works equally well on either voltage so I am sure I will be happy with the 12v. (If I had a perfect world, I would want one that was both 120v/12v but they don't have that).The draw is actually slightly less for 12v than the 120v on inverter - they claim one battery will than keep it going for more than 24 hours (and I have 4 batteries) and when I am plugged in, the battery charger is always on so I am not worried.

Like many have said, absorption is very safe if: installed right, coach is level, no leaks, etc. Just more ifs than I want to deal with so out it comes in March.

Steve
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:54 AM   #17

If you don't mind me asking. What is the total cost for the conversion that you have outlined above?
Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
While I cant give first hand info on the electric , I bought the Gas nocold 1200 model from JC a few years ago. It's like night and day with the JC gas unit vs the old gas. 5-0/34-36 in even hot weather. He not only switched the unit he made adjustments to the air dam and airflow in the rear AND insured that my door gaskets were in good shape before he began work. If the Gaskets $$$$$ were bad I got the impression he wouldn't do the work. Have him do the install if at all possible.
The Electrics became available just a few months after I switched or I would have gone 120 volt not 12 But my large Trace inverter is on 24/7 ... in fact in my case if my inverter is not on it wont pass through the 120 shore power which I don't believe is typical.

Tags
norcold