Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #1

Norcold refrigerator

My 2005 Fleetwood Expedition RV has a Norcold refrigerator just stop working, Model # 1201, no green on light. What do we do?
RV questions is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Pull the outside cover off and see if the light on the recall box is on.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #3

There are more questions than answers so here we go? What is on the norcold display? Do you have electric to it and were you using electric? Does the light come on when you open the door?

On the outside open the access door and look for a black box about 2in square. If there is a red light coming from the box that unit needs to be reset! Its made to shut the system off when it gets over heated for what ever reasons. This will work if you have lights inside and power to the frig. If neither are correct this is not your problem.

The next part you assume all responsibility for what happens!!! The box can be reset although its not supposed to. If you remove the cover top center you will see a black bar about 1" long. take a good magnet and hold it to the right side of the bar. This should reset it, however keep in mind it went off for a reason! You still have a problem.

I know from first hand experience about this, start looking at how you want to replace the cooling unit.

I had to replace my unit this past summer as the heat sensing unit (black box) was doing its thing shutting the system off because I had a problem.
I ended replacing the cooling unit with a JC Refrigeration product, really happy about it.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #4

Norcold Recall Box...RED LED light ON
That means it has tripped due to HIGH-HIGH Temp (700*F) via sensor on burner stack
*inspect burner area and backside of fridge cooling unit tubes for any signs of 'yellowish' residue
Find some....cooling unit has leaked is toast.
Yellowish residue is Toxic....clean up working it wet. No air blowing etc that could created DUST

That means the circuit board has faulted....Check which REVISION Letter you have via slot in cover.
Should be 'E' version
*earlier version had circuit board fgailures

That means circuit board has gotten wet )rain/washing RV)....let it dry out and loosen clamp point, it downwards and tighten clamp

Version 'E' can be reset using strong magnet
Place magnet on face of recall box top area and move it slowly back/forth ....listen for 'click' and RED LED going out

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #5

Hi RVers, I follow your instructions and couldn’t locate a box, so I took it to the repair shop to see what is really going on... the repair Person told us that there was not a recall box on there so he placed one on and check the fuses on the inside the RV under the bed he replaced a fuse and we’re good to go.
Thank you guys for all your information this is a real good blog.
Thanks.
RV questions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

If you have any more problems with the Norcold I would seriously consider either replacing the cooling unit with one of the compressor-type units from J.C. Refrigeration or installing a residential unit.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #7

I advise you to read all about buying and installing an ARP protection device/Fridge Defend. It is proactive in protecting your refrigerator from over-temperature damage. Many of here use the Fridge Defend unit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I second the ARP kit. I got the one that will turn on a fan at a set temperature. Works great.

I also got the adjusable replacement thermister. Cold drinks and hard ice cream now.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, refrigerator