Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #1

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Norcold replacement

I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty and the Norcold 1200 finally quit for good. I'm looking replacement options and recommendations for experienced installers in Southern California to install.
Thanks
SPShull is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #2

SPS...one of the IRV2ers used a Samsung 17.8cuft French door model called an RF197 to replace his Norcold 1200. I have never done the dirty deed before....but the Samsung model is available at LOWES...will not run on gas and AC...but will most likely offer you a great lifetime of enjoyment.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I elected to go with the Amish-built cooling unit from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse, along with the ARP protection unit. It was about half the cost of installing the Samsung RF197, and I didn't want to remove my windshield to get the RF197 into the coach! JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I too installed the Amish unit and we love it. Cools a lot better. Norcold was still working but the possibility of a fire bothered me.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #5

Samsung 197. Best mod I have done. Tons of threads. Many can be brought in front door, though some MH's may require a window be pulled to get her in. If you boondock a lot, you may want to replace with a like unit, else I recommend converting over. Lots of added storage space, much faster ice gen and a much better job of regulating temp.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #6

We also went with the Amish cooling unit 2 years ago, couldn't be happier with the unit, and didn't have to modifiy our coach to install it. It exactly replaces the Norcold cooling unit on the back of the refrigerator.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:17 AM   #7

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Norcold

Thank you all for the responses. Looks line I'm going with the Amish cooling unit will be making calls tomorrow for installer in Southern California.
SPShull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #8

Looks like the Amish unit for a 1200 costs approximately $1000. A Samsung 197 runs about $1400. Both will require installation, but I imagine the samsung will cost a bit more. I was able to do install myself. Before pulling the trigger I would recommend going to HD or Lowes and looking at a like-sized residential fridge to the samsung 197 if they do not have it in stock. The difference in space is truly amazing.

IMHO the Amish unit is a great way to make a broken or Unsafe Norcold safe and reliable. With reported improved performance. The residential fridge, however, is a game changer in terms of space and performance. SOOO much more interior space.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Looks like the Amish unit for a 1200 costs approximately $1000. A Samsung 197 runs about $1400. Both will require installation, but I imagine the samsung will cost a bit more. I was able to do install myself. Before pulling the trigger I would recommend going to HD or Lowes and looking at a like-sized residential fridge to the samsung 197 if they do not have it in stock. The difference in space is truly amazing.

IMHO the Amish unit is a great way to make a broken or Unsafe Norcold safe and reliable. With reported improved performance. The residential fridge, however, is a game changer in terms of space and performance. SOOO much more interior space.

Chris
I would probably have gone with the residential except for the problem of getting it into the MH. On my coach the only way is through the windshield opening. I just didn't want to pay the installation cost and maybe end up with a leaking windshield. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #10

I put the Amish unit in two years ago and it works great. I am now in the process of putting in RF197 bought on line for $1090.00 shipped to me.

You ask why am I doing this? Because I want to use my solar, that's all.
So if anyone wants to buy a norcold 1200 with the Amish unit let me know!

And by the way, it was cheaper for me to do the RF 197 than the Amish unit with me doing the changes.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hes4all View Post
I put the Amish unit in two years ago and it works great. I am now in the process of putting in RF197 bought on line for $1090.00 shipped to me.

You ask why am I doing this? Because I want to use my solar, that's all.
So if anyone wants to buy a norcold 1200 with the Amish unit let me know!

And by the way, it was cheaper for me to do the RF 197 than the Amish unit with me doing the changes.
That is a good buy, I paid $1049 last year from Best Buy and had it sent to Kustom Coach Works in Junction City, Or They removed the side window and the install cost $750 along with the installation of the Magnum 2812 and new control panel, wife loves the frig. Happy wife-Happy Life
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #12

Just a little follow up. We did the installation of the Amish unit ourselves, and have done a few others for friends. in our opinion, it wasn't a big deal. We made a platform to slide the Norcold onto, left it in the coach, and removed and old cooling unit, and installed the new cooling unit. To be safe, we also installed new electric heaters and cooling fans.In our cases, the refrigerator slid right back into the space it had come out of. i'm sure some coach configurations would make the job more difficult. Also, in our case, no residential unit we could find at the time would come close to fitting in our coach without significant modifications to the interior.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, replace, replacement