Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #1

Normy New Guy - Has anyone out there ever experienced this?

Chronology of events

On Saturday morning at about 430 am I awoke to find that the coaches headlights, dashboard, transmission centre and the levelling pad were all in the on position. I checked the ignition and the ignition was off. I turned the key to the auxiliary position and back to off (to no avail) and then turned the key to the on position and then to off. Momentarily the dash etc all went off and then moments later the coach went through it’s start up procedure and the headlights came on.

I removed the shore power to no avail and the only way I could turn off the entire dash etc off was to turn the chassis and house batteries off. I found that when I turn on just the chassis batteries the bus immediately goes through it’s start up procedure. When I turn just the house batteries on there is a brief period of time ( maybe 20-30 seconds) and then the coach begins its start up procedure.

I have checked all of the batteries and they are all in excellent condition. I have removed the shore power and checked the coach by first turning on the chassis batteries and then the house batteries (separately) and there was no change as described in the paragraph above.

I have 110 power to my receptacles which means I can power anything that I can plug in the 110 outlets. Microwave, Tv etc. Obviously I have no 12 volt power as I have had to keep the batteries turned off. This means no refrigerator, hot water heater and the like.

Checking the information centre I found that all of the gauges etc are powered by 12 volt ( so I have nothing to check) except the Magnum Energy Pad. It cycles through full charge, absorb charge, float charge. Presently it is on full charge showing 12.8 volts and 0 amps used. I’m not sure if this is supposed to be on with the batteries turned off.

Yesterday I started the coach and let it rum for about ten minutes. To my surprise I found that the engine would not turn off when the ignition key was turned the the off position. The only way I could stop the engine was to turn off both the chassis and house batteries at their cut offs. I assume the fuel pump runs on 12 volt power.

I am I a RV resort in Florida. I have 50 amp shore power and both lines show the same amps and providing the proper power.

Any help you can provide me would be greatly appreciated. I am pretty sure this coach is NOT possessed.
Brian1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #2

sounds like there is an issue with the ignition switch or the wiring to it
Old 02-04-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

post some info about your rv year, model, engine etc and has it been raining. some spartan and freightliner chassis rv used relays to power things and are not water proof if water gets in them they will short out and things will come on by them self. my last A had a electrical compartment in the basement in front of the front tire. and the door seal went bad and ruined a few relays
Old 02-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #4

Sure sounds like a wet relay socket. Nearly all relays used in automotive applications are sealed. But the sockets generally aren't. You can use WD-40 (WD=Water Displacement) to spray the sockets.

Switches, like the house and chassis switches, can also get damp.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #5

Normy new guy

Our coach is a
2010 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 foot tag
425 diesel

We had a 24 hour period of rain but that was several days ago. This occurred on Saturday past. We are in Lakeport Florida on State Route 78 between Okeechobee and Clewiston.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Sure sounds like a wet relay socket. Nearly all relays used in automotive applications are sealed. But the sockets generally aren't. You can use WD-40 (WD=Water Displacement) to spray the sockets.

Switches, like the house and chassis switches, can also get damp.
Either wet or is bad and stuck in the "on/start" position
Feel for any that are warm on the larger relay and fuse boards and then if nothing start pulling them one at a time, a schematic will help

good luck with it
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #7

When the dash lights are on, if you can get to the back of the ignition switch, try unplugging the wire harness from it. If the lights go to normal, the switch could be the problem.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:10 AM   #8

Brian1953

I spent the day yesterday isolating my 12 volt system. I can use everything in my coach as it was meant to be used. I have managed to deaden the energy to the dash etc. I believe I have a latched relay somewhere in the coach that allows a back feed to the dash and headlights etc. I have tried removing the harness from the ignition switch and that did not help.

I supposed I will have to find a chassis technician that can follow wires and relays until the bad relay can be isolated. Spoke with the Techs at R.E.V. They do not have any wiring schematics for HR's. Apparently they buy the business and don't get the important materials. Go figure.

I'm in Lakeport Fla which is halfway between Okeechobee and Clewiston (Moore Haven Fla) so if anyone out there knows a good service tech please let me know. Same goes with anyone who can get the schematics.

Thanks for all the ideas
Great site
Brian
Old 02-05-2019, 07:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1953 View Post
I spent the day yesterday isolating my 12 volt system. I can use everything in my coach as it was meant to be used. I have managed to deaden the energy to the dash etc. I believe I have a latched relay somewhere in the coach that allows a back feed to the dash and headlights etc. I have tried removing the harness from the ignition switch and that did not help.

I supposed I will have to find a chassis technician that can follow wires and relays until the bad relay can be isolated. Spoke with the Techs at R.E.V. They do not have any wiring schematics for HR's. Apparently they buy the business and don't get the important materials. Go figure.

I'm in Lakeport Fla which is halfway between Okeechobee and Clewiston (Moore Haven Fla) so if anyone out there knows a good service tech please let me know. Same goes with anyone who can get the schematics.

Thanks for all the ideas

Great site
Brian
Back feeding is a good call. I would start looking and anything after market installed. Never know what others have done
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #10

Back feeding can also be caused by a bad steering diode. It is more likely for a diode to open circuit but they do short occasionally so if you run into any in your search, test them with an ohmmeter.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1953 View Post
Our coach is a
2010 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 foot tag
425 diesel

We had a 24 hour period of rain but that was several days ago. This occurred on Saturday past. We are in Lakeport Florida on State Route 78 between Okeechobee and Clewiston.
Thank you.

OH...BTW…do yourself (and us) a favor by putting—detailed information—of your rig by creating a signature. That way you won't have to type this information each time in all your future posts and people won't have to ask "What Model of coach do you have". Look at some other posters signatures if you need some examples.
You create a signature by:
1) Go to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH, Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed, your toad and so on. You’ll be limited to 3 lines unless you become a IRV2 supporter.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:43 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Evil spirits in ignition system

I've had a very similar issue. While sitting parked and connected to shore power the dash lights would come on as if a ghost had put in an ignition key and turned it to "on". The ignition buzzer would also sound. Just for funsies I tried putting the key in it and starting the engine. It started, no problem! So I turned it off and pulled the key out and the engine kept running! I turned off the chassis power switch...engine still running. I pulled the dashboard off and disconnected the ignition switch...engine still running! I finally decided to start pulling wires at the front circuit breaker panel. Success on the first wire pulled!

The wet relay solution sounds like it could be part of the problem but I don't think it would explain why the ignition suddenly decides to come to life. It also cycles...going off then going back on. Until I get it fixed I just keep the chassis battery disconnected.

I thought the issue may have been related to a problem I have with the washing machine. It's located in the back passenger-side of the coach. Running it for the first time resulted in water spewing out on the floor. Water also got into the back 2 bays right under the washer, one of which has some electronics in it. I don't know what they're for yet, but I think that the water leakage may have unleashed some evil spirits in the module.

Any ideas?
jeskibuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:48 PM   #13

Not much help with my reply, Never heard of this happening, I'm with evil spirits or could some one be messing with you.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeskibuff View Post
I've had a very similar issue. While sitting parked and connected to shore power the dash lights would come on as if a ghost had put in an ignition key and turned it to "on". The ignition buzzer would also sound. Just for funsies I tried putting the key in it and starting the engine. It started, no problem! So I turned it off and pulled the key out and the engine kept running! I turned off the chassis power switch...engine still running. I pulled the dashboard off and disconnected the ignition switch...engine still running! I finally decided to start pulling wires at the front circuit breaker panel. Success on the first wire pulled!

The wet relay solution sounds like it could be part of the problem but I don't think it would explain why the ignition suddenly decides to come to life. It also cycles...going off then going back on. Until I get it fixed I just keep the chassis battery disconnected.

I thought the issue may have been related to a problem I have with the washing machine. It's located in the back passenger-side of the coach. Running it for the first time resulted in water spewing out on the floor. Water also got into the back 2 bays right under the washer, one of which has some electronics in it. I don't know what they're for yet, but I think that the water leakage may have unleashed some evil spirits in the module.

Any ideas?
Sounds like a drying out process is in order for wherever this water may have invaded.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote