Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #1

Not enough water or gray

So as my handle says “racing”. My question is how can I add additional fresh water and gray water to our motorhome? We are always at the race track so we don’t have hook ups... there is a large opening where it looks like the spare tire was designed to (I have spare it’s in enclosed trailer) I was wondering if I could mount there? Wanted to see thoughts on this and what other people have done.

Thanks
tolandbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #2

I don't know how long you stay at the track but we do 4 days at football games without any shortages. We haul extra water with us in 5 gallon jugs and usually don't need it. You can use a blue tank for additional gray capacity. However, with 4 days and the two of us it's is seldom necessary for additional capacities.

I got in a situation at a campground in Michigan once where their water supply was tainted with a very heavy iron content. We had a sewer connection. We arrived with a full water tank and used more than normal (probably because we had a sewer connection). When I got low I went to WalMart and bought bottled water for around 50 cents a gallon. $20 for 40 gallons wasn't too bad.

You might look at some of the boondocking threads for more ideas. Here's one on this forum - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f93/
Old 11-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

Shouldn't be hard to add an additional water tank and tee it into your existing pump draw or suction line. Do you have the need for additional grey capacity and you are fine on black capacity? If so, add another blade valve to close off your common drain port. This is assuming you have one drain where you hook your hose to drain both tanks. If you put a blade valve here you can cap and close the final blade valve and open both black and grey valves allowing grey to flow into black tank. When we dry camp and only have water available I attach the hose and open the grey tank. Put the end of the hose under middle of coach and haven't had any problems.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Conservation is king of course. I have multiple 5 gallon fresh water containers I can add to the fresh water tank. For grey and black waste disposal I have a Barker Blue Boy tote to pull to dump area.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Be careful with the added weight.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
Be careful with the added weight.
Echo that. Adding additional fresh water which I suspect you will have to bring with you could put you over weight so as above be careful. You may want to conserve more on the fresh water side.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolandbros View Post
So as my handle says “racing”. My question is how can I add additional fresh water and gray water to our motorhome? We are always at the race track so we don’t have hook ups... there is a large opening where it looks like the spare tire was designed to (I have spare it’s in enclosed trailer) I was wondering if I could mount there? Wanted to see thoughts on this and what other people have done.

Thanks
Anything is possible but just remember the added weight at 8.3 Lbs/Gal. As a racer, I'm sure you can relate.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #8

I carry a 40 gallon bladder, empty. If I need water, I go get some with the toad.

Camping World shows it on the roof of a car for gravity emptying.

I use a 12 volt pump and suck it out.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Yep...my concern would be overloading the coach. Weigh your coach fully loaded, then figure out how much wiggle room you have.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #10

What do you mean your handle is racing?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
No dawg in this bone fight... 110fresh.112 gray/55 black
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #12

A friend of mine boondocks and he says he is limited by his grey tank. To extend his time before dumping he takes grey water from the sinks and dumps it into his toilet, black tank. He says he can extend time between dumps about 2 days. Also take navy showers, wet a washcloth to wipe off your face instead of letting the water run, don't run water when brushing teeth, use public restrooms instead of RV, and if they have showers use them. I don't camp without FHU, I enjoy a long hot shower every day, sometimes two.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
What do you mean your handle is racing?
I was wondering what that means too???
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water