Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 11:46 AM   #1

Not impressed with Tiffin

We had a 2017 Ventana and sold it to get something a little bigger and with more HP. Yesterday we looked at a 2020 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH and were not impressed. Many drawers did not align properly, there were wires hanging down around the gas and brake pedals, missing molding, small narrow pantry, storage doors with latches on top but handles on the bottom (you twist the door every time you open it) the wood work in general was nothing special, and uncomfortable sofas, I could go on. Our Ventana was hands down a better quality coach. We will be looking a Dutch Stars.
jgperegrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 01:50 PM   #2

Might want to look at some Entegras also.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #3

We've really struggled with this as well. In our years of research before we bought our first coach, we'd always heard about Newmar and Tiffin as top coaches. We ended up with a BayStar (soon to upgrade to a Ventana) and after finally getting to a real RV show (Tampa Super Show) we were so let down by the Tiffans. They still seem like solid coaches, but what surprised me was all the lack of attention to a lot of small details. Examples being the wood work, how poorly seems were lined up and blended together. Especially the wood work along the top of the slides, etc. Another big one was simply the air vents in the ceiling were strange metal plates that didn't seem to belong and weren't even lined up.

I'm pretty OCD, so maybe that's just me, but the Tampa show really helped seal the Newmar brand for us year after year. If Newmar disappeared, then sure, we'd likely lock our eyes on Tiffan, or Entegra.
powerwoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That's too bad. When we narrowed down our choices of coach, the two top contenders were Tiffin and Newmar. I think that Tiffin has been slipping some on their fit and finish, but their willingness to fix stuff without argument has kept them near the top.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgperegrine View Post
We had a 2017 Ventana and sold it to get something a little bigger and with more HP. Yesterday we looked at a 2020 Tiffin Phaeton 40IH and were not impressed. Many drawers did not align properly, there were wires hanging down around the gas and brake pedals, missing molding, small narrow pantry, storage doors with latches on top but handles on the bottom (you twist the door every time you open it) the wood work in general was nothing special, and uncomfortable sofas, I could go on. Our Ventana was hands down a better quality coach. We will be looking a Dutch Stars.
I hear ya. That's why many will tell you to buy a 2-3 yr old Moho, because the previous owner will have already gone through all the head aches. Sadly.
But that's usually what Inspection checklists are for. Just go through the coach and list Anything and everything that "bothers" you and have them Fix it before you take ownership or possession.
As for Dutch star, well your talking $70K to $100K, and if money is not an object, I'd definitely go with Newmar Dutch star. No doubt. But why get a 2020, when you can get Never used/brand new end of yr 2019 for a $100K less. They're out there you just gotta look.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:34 PM   #6

Both Tiffin and Newmar can have some bad apples in their barrel. My son had a 2015 45' Mountain Aire that was trouble free. Then he traded for a 2016 MA to get the passive tag steering and the flat floor. It was back at the factory three times to take care of 45 different items. Some minor, but some serious. The last time, Newmar drove it the 400 miles back to him. After 18 months of headaches he sold it and ordered a Newell. I'm not sure about the new Tiffins, but our 2013 Bus has been pretty trouble free since new with some minor corrections in the first year. In spite of my sons disappointment, I still think both companies are at the top of the half million dollar coaches along with Entegra.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:43 PM   #7

As a Tiffin owner I would have to agree. Since 2015 Tiffin build quality has gone downhill and no steps are being taken to correct the situation. The Tiffin management has concentrated more attention on building their class c coaches and 5th wheel trailers.
As soon as Bob Tiffin is no longer involved, the kids will sell the business and take the money and run.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:25 PM   #8

That's okay - and thanks for sharing.

We all hope you get the best flooro plan and rig for your $. Looking forward to seeing you on the road!
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We just got rid of our 2016 Allegro Open Road 36LA and opted for a 2020 Newmar Ventana. In addition to being tired of the ride/handling of the gasser, we just felt that the Newmar seemed like a higher quality coach all around than the Phaeton. Hopefully, the Newmar won't have the steady stream of equipment failures and fixit projects.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 03:37 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvcampbell View Post
We just got rid of our 2016 Allegro Open Road 36LA and opted for a 2020 Newmar Ventana. In addition to being tired of the ride/handling of the gasser, we just felt that the Newmar seemed like a higher quality coach all around than the Phaeton. Hopefully, the Newmar won't have the steady stream of equipment failures and fixit projects.
Hey, great choice. In the end YOU Gotta be happy, right? Good luck.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
. . . but their willingness to fix stuff without argument has kept them near the top.
I think not having to fix stuff in the first place would be a much better solution. I've heard very little complaining about Newmar's willingness to honor their warranty either.

A couple of years ago we went shopping for a Tiffin gas coach. After extensive shopping we now own a 2019 Canyon Star (our 9th motorhome). There really was no comparison between the two.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I think not having to fix stuff in the first place would be a much better solution. I've heard very little complaining about Newmar's willingness to honor their warranty either.

A couple of years ago we went shopping for a Tiffin gas coach. After extensive shopping we now own a 2019 Canyon Star (our 9th motorhome). There really was no comparison between the two.

You are right , the Tiffin being the better gas coach.
Real wood on cabinetry, fibreglass roof std., tons more storage, higher end outside bay doors, etc.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
You are right , the Tiffin being the better gas coach.
Real wood on cabinetry, fibreglass roof std., tons more storage, higher end outside bay doors, etc.
Also the 34PA has a longer WB chassis with no need for aftermarket suspension upgrades.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:31 PM   #14

I agree, We had a Zephyr for 6 years. There were things that were never fixed. Big stuff like the roof leaking, not small items. I sold it wholesale and never looked back.
zb39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin