Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #15

The biggest difference will be in maneuvering. I went from a 26' Safari Trek to a 28' Trek, and the 20" increase in wheelbase made a definite difference while turning 90 degree residential corners; especially while towing my 20' car trailer. The 10 ft longer coach will never be as nimble as the shorter one but, as everyone has already said, it's nothing that you can't get used to. Neither choice is better or worse than the other, just different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
Is there as much difference as one my think in driving and manuevering a 26' Class A such as a Safari Trek vs a 36' Class A such as a Mountain Aire.

Or does one in time not really notice or think about how much coach is behind them when driving?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #16

Our bus-driving instructor told us "On a 30-footer, turn right when the curb of the street you're turning into is directly off the front of your right shoulder. In a 40-footer, it needs to be just behind the back of your shoulder.

My first trip with a 40' rig was though downtown Everett in the evening rush hour. Everett has a lot of tight intersections, but I didn't hit anything or cause drivers coming towards me to take evasive action, so I was reasonably comfortable after just one trip. I never dinged a bus in over 2 years. I was what they call an "extra-board" driver, substituting for folks off sick or on leave, so it was never the same route for more than 2 days in a row. It was a useful intro to big vehicles and has paid dividends with our 32' rig.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #17

I had a 34 and 36 for over 100k miles each. Have a 42 now as well as a 24 foot. There are places I would not take any of the bigger coach's as no room to turn. But just driving the 42 is the easiest. So it depends on what you want to do.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
I had a 34 and 36 for over 100k miles each. Have a 42 now as well as a 24 foot. There are places I would not take any of the bigger coach's as no room to turn. But just driving the 42 is the easiest. So it depends on what you want to do.
Why is the 42" the easiest? Is it because it is a very expensive coach?
SissyBoyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:53 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SissyBoyBob View Post
Why is the 42" the easiest? Is it because it is a very expensive coach?
42' would have a tag, long wheel base and heavy which makes highway handling pretty good. Yes... It could be expensive too. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:58 AM   #20

Sky boss gad it right. Longer and heavier and the tag makes a huge difference in stopping power, CCC and directional stability. I do not feel the trucks passing any more and when you will stop because of the wind I can keep going. Out west in the afternoons it is always windy. If it is not enough to shut down it is enough to not fight. Expensive is not an issue in this. In fact my 36 foot cost more as it was new and this one was a few years old when I got it. It just fit.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:19 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't find it to a problem at all. Just remember the huge swing of the rear when making a turn and a bit wider a right turn track as the coach gets longer in length. Obviously you have to keep in mind that when parking a 36' coach it won't fit in a 24' spot but that's just common sense. Good luck and I'm sure if you are having a problem you'll get it worked out in short order.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote