Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2015, 01:17 PM   #1

Now this is a tire crack, and it's on a sale lot to boot!!

Heading back to the office I spotted a National Dolphin LX on a car lot. Normally, that's a "so what" event, but it was on my way, and the door was open like an invite, so I thought, "eh, I got a few minutes, I'll check it out."

Nothing remarkable about the coach other than what looks to be a wall repair in front of the bedroom slide that was obvious from many feet away. Not delamination, this thing had been messed up. It looked to me like what would happen if something was trapped between the interior of the slide seal/lip/flange and the wall when the slide was opening, allowing the force of the opening slide to concentrate at the point of the obstruction. The wall damage was clearly bowed outward and enough to crack and split the outer skin in that manner. I didn't take a picture, though.

Exterior was pretty weathered, too.

But the tires.

A 2004, and I'm going to say original tires and I'm guessing this driver's front got the brunt of sun, as the other side was (visually) better off.

I implored them to please put tires on this coach, and not let unsuspecting buyers caught up in the pretty interior drive away. Or even test drive. Or hell, even let the tire just sit there with air in it like that!

It was clear this hadn't even dawned on them. I explained what they were likely in for if they had this out for a prospect's test drive and it let go. No more bodywork at the scene of the crime, best case. That crack is huge, and it goes all the way around the circumference. Did I mention it is bigger than it looks in the pic? DEEP, too.

I will likely never know if they deal with it, but it bothers the hell out of me that they may sell it to someone who doesn't know any better or takes the time to look closely during the lot walk.

Damn.............

Caveat: NO brand commentary allowed. The tires are about 12 years old and this could be any tire. This was just my commiserating my anger that this is considered roadworthy for a test drive, right as it sits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The tire crack from hell.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	106892   Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 Dolphin.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	106893  

Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #2

You're absolutely right. It's amazing how many people only look at tread depth when determining the condition of a tire. Any dealer should know better, of course. That unit is probably on consignment, so it's unlikely that the dealer would invest in a new set of tires. That's why it's "Buyer Beware" on used motorhome lots!

I am wondering, though, did you actually happen to notice the date codes or are you just assuming the tires are original?
Old 09-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #3

I bought a 2000 Hurricane in 2013 with the original tires on it. The tires had 13,000 miles on them and the cracks were no where near that bad. I drove the motor home 70 miles on a cool day to get it home and then drove it to the tire shop for 6 Michelin XZE tires. I have over 8,000 miles on the XZEs and they still look new.

Just the location of that crack scares me.
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
You're absolutely right. It's amazing how many people only look at tread depth when determining the condition of a tire. Any dealer should know better, of course. That unit is probably on consignment, so it's unlikely that the dealer would invest in a new set of tires. That's why it's "Buyer Beware" on used motorhome lots!

I am wondering, though, did you actually happen to notice the date codes or are you just assuming the tires are original?
I am indeed ass-uming...........
Old 09-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet2 View Post
I bought a 2000 Hurricane in 2013 with the original tires on it. The tires had 13,000 miles on them and the cracks were no where near that bad. I drove the motor home 70 miles on a cool day to get it home and then drove it to the tire shop for 6 Michelin XZE tires. I have over 8,000 miles on the XZEs and they still look new.

Just the location of that crack scares me.
Since the other tires were not like that, it's my WAG that this one may have sat flat for a period of time, perhaps?

The only facts I have are, "Holy crap, don't leave that tire on there" visuals, so it's all surmising.

They (the lot) does own the coach. I mean, they could lie about it, but they guy is the in-laws of a coworker/friend, so this is a conversation that included how so and so is doing, and whatnot. Meaning, it was easy going, he knows I am not buying, and we know who we are and just chatting. Said the owners used it to travel south and back each year, and due to health traded it in for a SUV and some cash. It has the dealer's paper on the back, no plates. It doesn't matter; just saying.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:42 PM   #6

They'll probably leave until a buyer comes along and then show him what a deal he's getting by replacing the tire.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

STAND BACK! She's gonna blow!
Old 09-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #8

It may last 12 miles......or maybe not!
Old 09-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I thought I would invest in the "best" tires on my last RV, a Class C. I bought a set of Michelins and ~5 years later had to replace them because they were cracked worse then these. They may not be 12 years old.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #10

Come on now, those tires have a 5/50 warranty: 5 seconds or 50 feet, whichever comes first!
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #11

Dang it. Now I'm not gonna be able to let it go unless I go back and look at the date.

Maybe later this week......
Old 09-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
Dang it. Now I'm not gonna be able to let it go unless I go back and look at the date.

Maybe later this week......
It doesn't make any difference what the date code is. THAT TIRE IS UNSAFE! It must be replaced before anybody gets into that vehicle. Any tire person will tell you that. If you buy this vehicle, replace the tire before you turn the ignition key.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I see coaches in rv parks this bad on occasion... Wife always tells me to mind my own business....
Old 09-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Things you learn when you read a forum like this..... CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE!!!!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale