Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 03:30 PM   #1

OBD Scan Tool

Okay folks, need a little help. I have a 1998 Monaco Dynasty 8.3 Cummins/MD3060 Allison. Looking for a OBD Scan Tool. It’s not the OBD2 it’s the old OBD port. Any help would be appreciated.
twshadrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 05:44 PM   #2

This is what I bought I can use it for both cars, trucks and Heavy Duty Class 8 trucks and my coach. Comes with the 6 and 9 pin Deutch cables

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33404843706...gAAOSwK0Fg0I~T

2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:47 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2 .

1998 was the change over year for the Cummins 8.3L , from the mechanical 12 valve engine to the , ISC version with the CAPS injection pump and the ECM (Electronic Control Module ) .
The 12 valve engine chassis would only have a diagnostic port for the Allison transmission , as there were no engine electronics to monitor .

Does the connector you've found look like one of these diagrams ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScanGaugeD-port-pinouts.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	333430  
Old 06-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #4

You can use this $20 adapter to allow a standard OBD II to plug into those J-**** ports. It won't read much though. My '02 Freightliner doesn't output anything readable by a standard OBD II reader. You need to find a Truck OBD II. Those I've seen are in the $200 range. Even that won't show much on my '02 because FL didn't output much to the CAN system. At least that's what I learned. Could be wrong. They weren't required to have it working until '04 or so.

Here's some technical info if you're interested: J1587 Scan Port

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:39 PM   #5

I got a ScanGauge instead.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
I got a ScanGauge instead.
One of my blog readers got that adapter I mentioned earlier and connected their ScanGauge to it but it didn't read anything.

Says Tom; "I bought the OBD adapter we spoke about, but no joy with the Scangauge working in my coach. It tried to connect, then just blanked out. Works fine in my 4Runner. Granted, my Scangauge is firmware level 3.15, and they are up to 4.50 or something, but I doubt if that would make a difference."

Let us know if your ScanGauge works and shows you stuff. And please mention the model and version number. Oh, and does the Tiffin Allegro use their own chassis? If so, they might have spec'ed their own OBD II codes. The feds started requiring it from RV manufacturers in '04-'05 so your ScanGuage might show something.

Thanks.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:41 AM   #7

Lots of questions!

It's a Freightliner/Cummins with J1939 interface, not an OBD or OBD-II port. I have the ScanGauge D: https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-d/

The "D" stands for "diesel." There is also a gasser ScanGauge, which I would not expect to provide anything meaningful for a diesel; I believe the J1939 protocol is completely different from either of the OBD protocols. Both are CAN bus based, but I don't know whether they share any function IDs. So trying to adapt a J1939 connector to an OBD-anything connector and use any OBD-based display made by anybody is probably an exercise in futility.

It's like hooking an NTSC TV to an HDTV antenna. There's RF energy there, but...

The ScanGauge D shows me lots of stuff, as delivered. Mileage (instantaneous and average), temperatures, boost pressure, road speed, engine RPM, percent load, gallons per hour (I try not to look at that one!), and more. I have the codes for some of the optional displays, but have not chosen any to display so far. It will also display fault codes (DTCs), but I have yet to need to do that.

HTH...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:18 PM   #8

There is a rectangle connector (pre 1996 pass cars: OBD1), a parallelogram (post 1996 pass cars: OBD2)
J1708 (6 pin round Deutsch connector for older diesels approx. pre 2004ish)
J1939 (9 pin round Deutsch connector for newer diesels approx. post 2004ish) This can also have J1708 on same connector on same vehicle.

The Vehicle, the connector, the scan tool AND the software ALL need to be compatible with the vehicle.

Find out from the engine company (they will need the serial number) what protocol the vehicle supports and THEN get the right scan tool rig.

Dave L (coinventor of the first Wifi and months later, the Bluetooth scan tool)
Old 06-25-2021, 07:05 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
Lots of questions!

The ScanGauge D shows me lots of stuff, as delivered. Mileage (instantaneous and average), temperatures, boost pressure, road speed, engine RPM, percent load, gallons per hour (I try not to look at that one!), and more. I have the codes for some of the optional displays, but have not chosen any to display so far. It will also display fault codes (DTCs), but I have yet to need to do that.

HTH...

I have the very same results! 2003 National, with 2003 Freight Liner Chassis, 2001 Cummins ISC 8.3.
Scan Gauge-D works fine, have never had a code to check! Yet!
Old 06-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #10

I purchased an inexpensive scanner to help diagnose a variety of control module and bus problems. Autel ML529HD covers the protocols needed for my coach. Good luck.