Congratulations! You seem to have one of two known problems with the Freightliner MMDC.
1. Some reset to zero every 50K miles. If you lost *exactly* 50K this is your problem. They will never show more than 50K miles.
2. If you have a low (not zero) voltage event, such as trying to start the engine on weak batteries or with a bad starter, the MMDC might decide to divide the odometer display's mileage by 2, and then start incrementing normally from there.
We had #2. At 104,442 miles, our odometer changed to read 52,221 miles. We met another couple in Tuscumbia (near Red Bay) that seemed to have had #1.
There is no way to reconcile the odometer reading with the ECM mileage. FL says there is no fix.
The actual mileage from the Cummins ECM can be retrieved from the MMDC by getting into Diagnostic Mode. You need a password do that. It's 8127 for all MMDCs:
1. Turn the key to the On position
2. Start the engine if the air pressure alarm is sounding and wait for it to go off.
3. Then, using the information center buttons:
- Press Home ("H")
- Using the arrows, highlight "Service" and press Enter ("E")
- Highlight "Diagnostics" and press Enter
- Enter "8127" a digit at a time with the arrow and Enter keys
- Scroll to display "ECU VS IP ODO DIFF"
- Top number is the ECU mileage--the actual mileage recorded for the engine
- Bottom number is the dash odometer mileage
1976 Southwind 28', '96 Winnie 34WK,
2006 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40QDP