Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #1

Oh no Bubble in rubber roof

New to the forums and I have a little issue with my coach wondering if anyone out there can help. Found a spot on my roof about 2x2 where the rubber was bubbled it feels like there is some wood left glued to the rubber but it is not solid to the roof like it used to be. The spot is right behind the shower skylight so I figured its leaking at the skylight and caused the plywood to delaminate, should be an easy fix. I took it to a local rv repair that specializes in collision repair and interior work, I don't trust our local CW to do anything but sell chairs and the other rv places around here don't do that kind of work. The place I took it has had it for a week just for the estimate so I stopped by today to see what the status was and got some scary news. They are up too at least 40-50 hours at $100.00 an hour plus materials to fix it. They say the whole roof has to come off and be replaced plus the shower has to come out to check the walls behind it because they are probably wet and need to be replaced. The coach is an 07 I have been on the roof at least three times a year since I purchased it new in 07 this is the first time I've seen any problems on the roof I can't imagine the whole thing needs to be done for 1 small spot not to mention I don't want to spend $5000.00 for a coach that the bank still owns. Does this sound right? Does anyone know a good place for repairs in central NJ? It seems like the place I took it is really looking to pad the bill. Help
rocky34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #2

Do it yourself. Since it is a small area. Do some research into using Eternabond tape and replace the plywood. Be sure to get the metal roller it makes a difference. The cover eternabond tape (4") with some self leveling diCor sealant. Should not take too long and you will know it is fixed right.

I agree the rv shop is way overboard on his fix. Don't walk...run!
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

Thank you Backdraft thats what I was wondering if a rubber roof section can be patched. I'm going too go get the coach back from the shop and re-seal around the skylight and the plumbing vent to try and stop anymore water from getting in. Than over the off season I am going to attempt to deal with the soft spot. I'm sure there are places on line I can research how to properly do this.
rocky34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Rocky, don't panic! I think you can do the job yourself. I had a problem with the rubber roof on a 5er and the thread below describes how I fixed it. Read post #40 for the details of the repair.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/help-...ir-104626.html

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

If you fix the leak properly, is that bubble big enough to warrant worrying about it at this stage
Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #6

Your "bubble" is right at the maximum size for being OK to leave as-is, providing the leak is eliminated. This website may help you decide your course of action. DIY RV roof repair, Moisture in RV's
If the suspect section is uncovered by removing that section of EPDM material, and turns out to be contained in that section, the EPDM material may be replaced using the methods on these websites.
If you are so inclined to tackle a DIY job like this, there are online tutorials and utube videos to guide you, like: Eternabond video library, , How to repair an EPDM RV roof., Mending an EPDM Rv roof videos.. Thankfully I never had to replace or repair the EPDM membrane on our previous RV's, so I can't speak to the accuracy of those bookmarked websites.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:14 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roof Leak Repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Your "bubble" is right at the maximum size for being OK to leave as-is, providing the leak is eliminated. This website may help you decide your course of action. DIY RV roof repair, Moisture in RV's
If the suspect section is uncovered by removing that section of EPDM material, and turns out to be contained in that section, the EPDM material may be replaced using the methods on these websites.
If you are so inclined to tackle a DIY job like this, there are online tutorials and utube videos to guide you, like: Eternabond video library, , How to repair an EPDM RV roof., Mending an EPDM Rv roof videos.. Thankfully I never had to replace or repair the EPDM membrane on our previous RV's, so I can't speak to the accuracy of those bookmarked websites.

We know it is an old post, but Ray's post helped us today as we are sure it has many others over the years. The DIY Roof Repair, Moisture in RV's is still valid to day and saved us thousands of hard earned US dollars is repairs.
Thanks on more time Ray!
BLE373 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof