Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2020, 04:00 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Oh No New Year and this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	batteriesjan2020.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	272245

First wasn't sure if I should post this under another thread or not. Also the white on the Battery terminals is a protector not corrosion.

I have a 2006 GS Tour master without manuals but are downloading them as I find a new one. Is the picture above, the Chassis Batteries? I have been starting the coach weekly but was gone for a 15 days and came back and all I got was a slow turnover and then nothing when I tried starting the engine. It was 60 degrees outside.

Next I started the Gen. and she came on right away without problems. Now, did I do something wrong by first trying to push the Temp. connect battery switch to start to diesel engine? (To no avail, very slow turnover and then I stopped trying) Also when I did try and start the engine, the Gen. died immediately.

Not very good with Electrical but will learn! Can you help with what I have tried to describe? I hope the rest of 2020 isn't like this now...
SgtJac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 04:19 PM   #2

Can't say for sure but the larger batteries on the top shelf look like a pair of 6volt, likely the house batteries. The smaller ones on the lower shelf are probably your chassis batteries.
You should be able to find isolation switches for both the house and the chassis battery sets to take them off line when parked. The house battery switch is often somewhere near the doorway/stairwell on the way in or out of the bus. The chassis battery switch (if it exists) should be somewhere very close to the chassis batteries.
Once isolated you still have some parasitic loads that bypass the isolation so you should have some sort of trickle charge set up. If this cannot be done, you'll have to take off the negative battery post connection for any length of time.
Also, this situation is absolutely nothing compared with what a diesel pusher can (and likely will) throw at you as a challenge. Brace yourself and work on keeping a positive attitude. Best of Luck, I'm sure it will go well.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:52 PM   #3

Generators often either die or shut off power when loaded up unless you let them warm up a while. Frequently gen or shore power does not directly charge chassis batteries. Charging up batteries takes some time before it charges enough to start a diesel. Try using a goodsized charger on the batteries for a while.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
Once isolated you still have some parasitic loads that bypass the isolation so you should have some sort of trickle charge set up. If this cannot be done, you'll have to take off the negative battery post connection for any length of time.
Also, this situation is absolutely nothing compared with what a diesel pusher can (and likely will) throw at you as a challenge. Brace yourself and work on keeping a positive attitude. Best of Luck, I'm sure it will go well.
Dark Sky, I believe you have let me in on some of the problem as the parasitic load. I'll keep that in mind. Thxs!
Old 01-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBr View Post
Generators often either die or shut off power when loaded up unless you let them warm up a while. Frequently gen or shore power does not directly charge chassis batteries. Charging up batteries takes some time before it charges enough to start a diesel. Try using a goodsized charger on the batteries for a while.
TomBr, I'll try that (a bigger charger) but the Gen. had run for 30 mins. under load from Frig, Microwave etc. I will try the charger.

Does anyone still know why the Gen. just stopped when I went to tried the auxiliary switch to pair the batteries??? I also have 4 batteries in the front which I believe are for the gen.