Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2018, 01:53 PM   #57

[QUOTE=Mudfrog;4197091]

As far as synthetic versus dino, for me it would depend on how many miles I planned on putting on the engine between changes. Doesn't make any sense to me to use synthetic oil if my changes are at or before manufacturer's recommended mileage intervals. [END QUOTE]

I don't use synthetic to extend miles between changes; I use it because it lubricates better and withstands higher heat. Then I change it at the same interval.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2018, 08:19 PM   #58

The only sure way to know how much life is left in your oil is to send a sample off to a lab (Blackstone). You only need to do it once and you'll know the TBN number of the oil after a given amount of miles you've driven on the oil.

Today's name brand oils can easily go 5000+ miles or more than 1+ year between changes.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #59

[QUOTE=GNICK;4218108]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post

As far as synthetic versus dino, for me it would depend on how many miles I planned on putting on the engine between changes. Doesn't make any sense to me to use synthetic oil if my changes are at or before manufacturer's recommended mileage intervals. [END QUOTE]

I don't use synthetic to extend miles between changes; I use it because it lubricates better and withstands higher heat. Then I change it at the same interval.
True, dino oil breaks down faster than synthetic in high heat applications. Again though, i'm changing at the proper intervals and i'm definitely not running anything I own hot enough to cause much breakdown between those intervals. As far as lubricating better, I doubt i'd ever see any smidgeon of difference in the life of any of my engines.

Imo, contaminates in the oil are more of a concern and synthetic doesn't help with that.

Been running good ole dino forever, many many thousands of miles, and never had an engine go south.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:19 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post

Imo, contaminates in the oil are more of a concern and synthetic doesn't help with that.

Been running good ole dino forever, many many thousands of miles, and never had an engine go south.
I too have run hundreds of thousands of miles in the last 50 years, but modern engines are manufactured to much tighter tolerances with much smaller clearances, so my preference is to use the best oil available to ensure that my string goes unbroken.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:37 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNICK View Post
I too have run hundreds of thousands of miles in the last 50 years, but modern engines are manufactured to much tighter tolerances with much smaller clearances, so my preference is to use the best oil available to ensure that my string goes unbroken.
Your basing the " Best oil " by reading what's on the container, printed by the manufacture ?

Don't you think they may be biased ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your basing the " Best oil " by reading what's on the container, printed by the manufacture ?

Don't you think they may be biased ?

Oils are tested to a API Rating that is on the oil bottle. The latest oil category is SN which is approved for engines using ethanol fuel. As long as the oil being used in your vehicle meets the required API rating or higher, then that oil should be good to use.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:26 AM   #63

I never did get the 4X4, off road, or high mileage oil sales pitch.

Really, does the engine know its in a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Its all marketing, to sell their product.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #64

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Now that we have solved the engine oil discussion can you tell me the oil filter part number for a 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer with the Ford engine?

Now I was in the automotive business from age 18 until I retired at age 63. when I first started into the business we changed all the oils for Summer and winter. That included the rear axle. But as time went on you gave that up as oils and engines and cars got better. I probably will never get enough miles on my rig to worry about the rear axle.
I do belive in Mobil I though, having sold it for over 30 years and seeing the results of the use of it.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:47 AM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
critterair2

I have a 2012 F-53 with a V-10 and now over 60,000 miles.
I agree with others for minimal dollars flush the engine when you have a chance and use Ford Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20 from Walmart
as well as a oil filter.

Then after this depending upon the amount of miles you drive or not will determine the next oil change.

I change mine every 6-8 months or 4,000 miles and I live in Arizona where it gets really hot.

But with 60,300 mile my engine is clean as a whistle inside and runs great and no oil usage.

Take care of your Motorhome and it will last a long time.

PS I also use this oil filter Motorcraft FL-820-S

I have done 13 oil changes since new on my 2012 V-10
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I never did get the 4X4, off road, or high mileage oil sales pitch.

Really, does the engine know its in a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Its all marketing, to sell their product.
Yep! I think i read that high mileage oils sometimes have a seal conditioner type chemical to help with leaks. Otherwise, probably no difference except for the price. Truck/4x4 oil,,, sounds pretty silly to me. Let's just ask this, why would i buy the normal car oil if this specialized stuff is so much better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy View Post
Now that we have solved the engine oil discussion can you tell me the oil filter part number for a 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer with the Ford engine?
Looks like the Motorcraft number may be FL-820S. Can probably go from there with crossing to another brand or capacity.

Quote:
Now I was in the automotive business from age 18 until I retired at age 63. when I first started into the business we changed all the oils for Summer and winter. That included the rear axle. But as time went on you gave that up as oils and engines and cars got better. I probably will never get enough miles on my rig to worry about the rear axle.
I do belive in Mobil I though, having sold it for over 30 years and seeing the results of the use of it.
Yes, i'm sure the results you saw were positive. But in those 30 years, did you see very many problems with vehicles using the regular stuff?
Old 06-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #67

I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic for a large municipality.

We always used state bid, low price, regular and diesel engine oil in thousands of engines over my 35 year career.

I recall one of the 10 Mack truck engines we ran, sludging up and needed an inframe.

The only other oil related failures were due to lack of it. When the machine came in seized, full of fresh clean new oil, we weren't fooled.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:23 PM   #68

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Synthetic oils have most certainly improved in the last 15 yrs, but so have conventional oils. Most diesel engines dont really take advantage of the cost to benefits ratio of a syntietic due to oil temps. The same can not be said for synthetics in gas engines. It depends on oil temps and time under loads than anything. Valve trains are hard on the long chain molecules that make a multiviscosity function after it has accumulated miles/hrs. The net effect is the oil thins.. and stays thin. Wont be pretty on a long climb in the summer. YMMV