Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #1

Oil change

Hello I’m stuck in a forest in Ukraine , I need to change my oil, and I have no idea where the drain plug is, my rv is stratus Chevrolet , on a workhorse chassis ,
Also gearbox transmission, I’d like to know where that is... thanks in advance
Guitarman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2020, 08:10 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman3 View Post
Hello I’m stuck in a forest in Ukraine , I need to change my oil, and I have no idea where the drain plug is, my rv is stratus Chevrolet , on a workhorse chassis ,

Also gearbox transmission, I’d like to know where that is... thanks in advance

Drain plug for oil is on the oil pan and the transmission is bolted behind engine.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:55 AM   #3

Oil pan? Where Is That, ? Do I need crawl under van, or go in under bonnet , or, from inside the cab?
Old 06-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It is on the bottom of the engine, reached from underneath.

If you change the oil, you should also change the oil filter, which is also reached from underneath. It will be a spin-on type metal cartridge.

This videos should help:

Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #5

I would make it a priority to get un-stuck from that forest, then get to someplace where they sell oil N filter for your engine before draining any oil from your motor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:49 AM   #6

Hi ray, I’ve got all the nessersary stuff, filters/engine oil/transmission, but haven’t a clue where to begin
Old 06-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Hi ray, I’ve got all the nessersary stuff, filters/engine oil/transmission, but haven’t a clue where to begin
I strongly suggest you intently watch the videos, that Gary has provided you then.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:20 AM   #8

Yes, I watched them, and I thank you all for your help...Oil change has been done, but I think I will leave the transmission oil, as I been told that it’s a bit more complex and needs ‘flushing “ etc
Old 06-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #9

The trans. If an automatic... fluid change is far less often and usually has no oil plug. You drop the pan, change the pan filter and gasket. That only changes 3/4 of fluid but that's just fine and matches most manufactures service procedure. You can remove a line from cooler and let the pump push out a quart add a quart until the fluid in torque convertor has been replaced .There are vids out there how to do it. You are still mixing it in there so it's not 100% changed.
Just did a 10gal oil change in my cummins yesterday and trans fluid in wife's Hyundai Santa Fe...it has trans plug but non serviceable filter.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:53 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Yes, I watched them, and I thank you all for your help...Oil change has been done, but I think I will leave the transmission oil, as I been told that it’s a bit more complex and needs ‘flushing “ etc
Yes, it can be.
I've always changed engine oil but reluctant on other fluids that I sometimes feel are better left alone.
Had a Chevy big block Coach before, which we bought at 9yrs old and doubtful if previous owners touched it. After a number of years more, we were doing a lot of mountain climbing and since towing a ton too much for the tranny, it overheated quite a few times and started to smell, as well as getting brown in color.
Anyway, rather than do it all, I drained what I could, 4 - 6qts maybe and replaced. Ran it for awhile and did the same. Then did it again. The coach was 18yrs old when we sold it and the tranny was as good as ever.
Yeah, I know.........but I've only ever lost one tranny and that was an old Buick Dynaflowf twin turbine that should have never been manufactured in the first place.
My F150 is now 17yrs old and no tranny oil change. Same for my last Jeep pickup at 19yrs old.
No coolant changes as well as hoses, either!
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:53 AM   #11

Thanks for advice, I think I’ll leave it, yes it’s automatic, but I’m scared to touch that...
Old 06-26-2020, 02:55 AM   #12

Aye, I think I best leave it, oil change is done, and I’m pleased about that, my rv has only done 26,000 miles from new