Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
That really is the question. What is an inadequate oil change. Is my oil that has been sitting in my engine fork mil 2 5 years and 700 miles inadequate? I wonder how it compares to oil sitting one year but 15,000 miles.

The real answer to that question is to have a oil sample tested. I have a sample taken every 50k miles and I am able to have a good ideal of the engine health that way. A oil sample is $28.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...ikazi%29%29%2F
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2020, 04:38 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Dad has an older model Southwind...ISB with Banks Power Kit. I can’t convince home to change oil annually. He does have a spare ISB in his garage.

I don’t have a spare ISL... I change mine annually...

Have you let your coach sit for 2.5 yrs....and only cranked it to run 700 miles? Or have you been running it frequently to relubricate the engine?

Mileage is just a very inaccurate way to estimate engine hours. Aircraft operators rely on hours...not miles flown. Since your use is not on the same schedule...I would agree lab analysis would be best. We could all learn from the results...without any name calling.

We have just over 34,000 miles in 4 years... I want to pamper it, so I don’t mind the fresh oil and filter. That said there are other schedules that seem way excessive to me. Freightliner recommends changing the differential oil every 3 years...(that’s the extended service interval that only comes with using Mobil Delvac synthetic that meets a Mercedes Benz standard. That seems a little excessive to me. I could see if I ran it like an over the road trucker with 100,000 miles a year plus...

I would change it or test it... Combustion by products, and heat turn oil into a caustic mess. If you’ve ever accidentally used a used milk jug to hold engine oil...if it’s new oil...it seems to work fine. If it’s used oil...it will basically dissolve the milk jug. To me, leaving oil In an engine too long after exposed to combustion byproducts has a point of diminishing return. It may be more harmful than good.

While sitting...your engines metal parts will shed the lubricating oil..whilst temperature changes will allow water to condensate within. In air, oxidation will form. Motors left to sit long periods benefit from being preserved...special misting oils, fresh oil, desiccant dryers...etc are used to prevent rust from building up on the metal parts.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:53 AM   #31

We all face this decision. My current recommended oil change interval issued by Caterpillar is 15K miles. I had a mechanic suggest 9K miles. I figure that is good advice. However, we are not retired yet. We took a trip to Florida over Christmas and put about 1K miles on the bus. It was serviced prior to our purchase. I plan on yearly oil analyses from Blackstone while we are only putting 1-2K miles on it per year. After 3 years I will change the oil with all the filters. That's the plan. We used this procedure on the farm with our tractors and combines. Worked just fine. I think just as importantly is monthly exercising the bus. Cranking up the bus and getting it up to operating temperature while in storage between trips is very important IMHO.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:23 AM   #32

I can assure you that as an owner of several diesels the oil is changed primarily based the hour meter

Almost all diesels now go much longer than 20 years ago, better oil and filters as well as OEM specs

Pretty much the same across the world

Pull the sample if you have concerns and use that information to determine what you want to do
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #33

Gulf Streamers Club
I test my Oil in the fall just as I arrive home from my last trip of the season and the Oil is hot and well mixed. Blackstone labs does the testing for me and have been since I purchased the coach in 2009. When they recommend an Oil change, I do the change no questions ask, twice since 2009. Last year we put about 487 miles on the coach and the last lab test said drive for another 5000 miles. I have 1320 miles on my Oil since 6 November 2017 change and will pull another sample in October or November 2020. Probably will come back as good for another year though I probably will change it as we are contemplating an Alaskan trip in 2021 or 2022. I do pay extra to have the TBN tested as I believe that is the key to extended oil changes. I do like Blackstone labs as I donít have to prepay for the test kits, they send them out free. Only pay when you send the sample in.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:05 AM   #34
US1

I change oil and filters in all my vehicles at min at fall time when put up for winter: boat, wifeís summer car, motorcycle and RZR, regardless of miles. Have had on 1 occasion just a tad over 200 miles on 1 and it still got an oil change. I donít want my vehicles sitting with corrosive byproducts n them for months at a time. Oils cheap. Motors, not so much
Old 02-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #35

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
Never ask Family for advice
Because you will get it.
And a bunch of indignant, chest-thumping to boot.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
I change oil and filters in all my vehicles at min at fall time when put up for winter: boat, wifeís summer car, motorcycle and RZR, regardless of miles. Have had on 1 occasion just a tad over 200 miles on 1 and it still got an oil change. I donít want my vehicles sitting with corrosive byproducts n them for months at a time. Oils cheap. Motors, not so much
For a small engine using 4-5 quarts or less, you are best to change the oil annually. There is not enough oil to contain all the combustion by produces and testing costs more than the price of oil and filter. When you are talking diesel engines holding 3 plus Gallons of Oil you are talking a different animal. When I was in the Navy, one ship I was on had Diesel Engine Main Generators and the Oil was not changed on three of the four engines in the 4.5 years I was on board. We did test the oil quarterly and continued to run. One engine did have its oil changed due to a catastrophic failure in the intercooler causing a massive hydro lock at 1800 rpm and the rods coming out the side of the engine. Water contamination and engine bits caused that oil change. My Cummins holds 16.7 Quarts and the annual testing tells me the oil is still good for another season, so in the interest of saving a resource and some money, I will rely on the test results. It also provides me information on how my engine, Transmission, and cooling systems are performing. So far over 10 years there is no noticeable abnormal wear patterns noted. If I wasnít interested in keeping this coach until I can no longer drive, I would not keep track of the mechanical systems like I do. Your call and on a Gas rig, I probably would be changing the oil about every 1000 miles at the rate we put on the annual mileage. If I put on a few thousand miles a year, I would change the gas coach annually unless the engine condition monitoring was of interest to the owner.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:31 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
For a small engine using 4-5 quarts or less, you are best to change the oil annually. There is not enough oil to contain all the combustion by produces and testing costs more than the price of oil and filter. When you are talking diesel engines holding 3 plus Gallons of Oil you are talking a different animal. When I was in the Navy, one ship I was on had Diesel Engine Main Generators and the Oil was not changed on three of the four engines in the 4.5 years I was on board. We did test the oil quarterly and continued to run. One engine did have its oil changed due to a catastrophic failure in the intercooler causing a massive hydro lock at 1800 rpm and the rods coming out the side of the engine. Water contamination and engine bits caused that oil change. My Cummins holds 16.7 Quarts and the annual testing tells me the oil is still good for another season, so in the interest of saving a resource and some money, I will rely on the test results. It also provides me information on how my engine, Transmission, and cooling systems are performing. So far over 10 years there is no noticeable abnormal wear patterns noted. If I wasnít interested in keeping this coach until I can no longer drive, I would not keep track of the mechanical systems like I do. Your call and on a Gas rig, I probably would be changing the oil about every 1000 miles at the rate we put on the annual mileage. If I put on a few thousand miles a year, I would change the gas coach annually unless the engine condition monitoring was of interest to the owner.

100% spot on. My C13 holds 10 gallons. To me it is a tremendous waste of oil to flush that out every year at 1-2 thousand miles. Pay Blackstone for the yearly analysis.
Prof_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:13 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Cummins recommends the oil be changed in my ISX12 every 6 months. So far Iíve been doing as recommended for the sake of maintaining the warranty. Spartan told me that the recommended interval was 1 year and that Cummins was updating the documentation. I checked the documentation at QuickServe and spoke with Cummins, and the interval hasnít changed for the ISX12.

My question is - if I have an oil analysis done and the results are that the oil is still good, does Cummins accept this in lieu of having the oil changed per the recommendation? I currently change the oil every 6 months and I wouldnít want to have an engine problem within the warranty period only for Cummins to tell me that Iím not covered because I didnít change the oil per the recommendations.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:20 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Heck NO! Annual is BS.
- - - - - - -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
My question is - if I have an oil analysis done and the results are that the oil is still good, does Cummins accept this in lieu of having the oil changed per the recommendation?
Seems like a question for Cummins....or you can hang on for more internet speculation.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
Cummins recommends the oil be changed in my ISX12 every 6 months. So far Iíve been doing as recommended for the sake of maintaining the warranty. Spartan told me that the recommended interval was 1 year and that Cummins was updating the documentation. I checked the documentation at QuickServe and spoke with Cummins, and the interval hasnít changed for the ISX12.

My question is - if I have an oil analysis done and the results are that the oil is still good, does Cummins accept this in lieu of having the oil changed per the recommendation? I currently change the oil every 6 months and I wouldnít want to have an engine problem within the warranty period only for Cummins to tell me that Iím not covered because I didnít change the oil per the recommendations.

No Cummins does not accept oil analysis in lieu of oil change.

New emmisions engines eat alot of carbon/soot. If your putting 5-10k miles a year on your engine I would change it yearly. If your putting 5-10k miles in 6 months I would change it semi annual. If your only putting a couple thou a year I would change it every 2

I would contact Cummins for the 6mo to 12mo change in intervals

These guys relying on an oil analysis company to tell them the oil is good for another x amount of miles are putting a lot of faith in their hands. Oil analysis for wear patterns and irregularitys for predictive maint. But for me to run extended oil drain intervals on a $30k engines at the blessing of some guy at a lab...no thanks. Oil is cheap...

Again these new engines are soot eating monsters. Anything from EPA 04 EGR to present EGR/DPF/SCR engines. Change the oil frequently. Dont like it take your old oil and fuel receipts to your local congessman set it on his desk and ask him how this crap is benefiting the universe.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #42

You can call me cheap, my wife does quite often don't bother me But with only 700 miles on the oil I wouldn't bother changing it. Maybe a filter change, but not oil and this is jmo. We put 8 to 10,000 miles a year on our coach so I change oil and filters every January and don't worry about mileage.
mlh2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter change