Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2020, 08:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
So you don't believe that engineers thought about the possibility of a RV/engine sitting stationary for a period?
I will bet they did simulate a 1000 mile oil sitting for 6 months and their test results determined that a oil change based on a time limit is necessary.
Please by all means, do what you feel is logical to you, after all it is now your motor and you are responsible going forward, not the engine manufacture once the warranty is expired.
At least get a oil sample done so you have some knowledge as to the oils health and you can make a partially informed decision.
Yes i believe the engineers have thought of many scenarios but only suggest one option. I believe in gathering as much info as i can from many sources. Do you believe oil after 15,ooo miles and one year is comparable to oil after 700 miles and 2.5 years? . . What has occured to alter my basically stored oil?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I'll bet they didn't !!

You want to bet that dog in the picture? Are you that confident? I was involved with auto testing at the big 3 and we tested every possible situation that was thought of. That was a test lab's full time job for a crew of engineers, 24/7.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:38 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Yes i believe the engineers have thought of many scenarios but only suggest one option. I believe in gathering as much info as i can from many sources. Do you believe oil after 15,ooo miles and one year is comparable to oil after 700 miles and 2.5 years? . . What has occured to alter my basically stored oil?

Only a oil sample test will tell!!
Old 02-28-2020, 08:42 PM   #60

Quote:
Only a oil sample test will tell!!
I guess so but if the sample confirms that my oil is good to go what does that say about the engineers?
Old 02-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #61

Quote:
I guess so but if the sample confirms that my oil is good to go what does that say about the engineers?

What do you want to say about them? Sounds like you already have a opinion on engineers! Next time you purchase a vehicle or anything, request that it not be designed/tested by a engineer. Maybe you could get a first build untested prototype vehicle.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #62

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
You want to bet that dog in the picture? Are you that confident? I was involved with auto testing at the big 3 and we tested every possible situation that was thought of. That was a test lab's full time job for a crew of engineers, 24/7.
How much testing and research do you think these guy's did....

https://www.technomadia.com/2013/10/...r-8v71-engine/

Go to the Cummins forum! Read some of the threads on the big inch, big HP engines!
Some of these owners have been paid not to discuss the problems/ and fixes!

Do you think they were researched to death before they were installed in coaches?

You don't have a diesel coach, so you won't know that just recently this filter was changed to avoid this from happening!!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #63

Quote:
What do you want to say about them? Sounds like you already have a opinion on engineers! Next time you purchase a vehicle or anything, request that it not be designed/tested by a engineer. Maybe you could get a first build untested prototype vehicle.

many rvers extend their oil changes based on oil samples. I wonder if engineers believe this to be bad for the engine.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:12 AM   #64

Gulf Streamers Club
Allison is now recommending Oil Sampling on their Transen oil instead of changing by time and mileage. If you use the old Dex 3 then the time and miles apply. I believe the testing is the best option unless the cost of oil and filter is cheaper.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:39 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
Allison is now recommending Oil Sampling on their Transen oil instead of changing by time and mileage. If you use the old Dex 3 then the time and miles apply. I believe the testing is the best option unless the cost of oil and filter is cheaper.

That's a little different. Allison trans is hydraulic operation and the oil is only suspect to sheer and wear particles. An engine is suspect to sheer, wear, carbon, fuel dilution, moisture and acids from the combustion process
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:21 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
That's a little different. Allison trans is hydraulic operation and the oil is only suspect to sheer and wear particles. An engine is suspect to sheer, wear, carbon, fuel dilution, moisture and acids from the combustion process
No question but isn't that the reason why engine oil and tranny fluid tests are different?
Eng oil testing includes those items especially the acid / base (TBN) that most naysayers quote as the primary issue. I would love to see a decent reference to testing used oil over time showing that it somehow "turns acidic" with only extended time.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:37 AM   #67

Quote:
So you don't believe that engineers thought about the possibility of a RV/engine sitting stationary for a period? Used oil will turn acidity after a period. I have rebuilt antique farm tractors that sat 20 years with used oil in them and the crank shaft would be pitted/ruined from the effects of acid oil. (extreme example here)

At least get a oil sample done so you have some knowledge as to the oils health/life and you will be able to make a partially informed decision.
For the anecdotal engine teardown after sitting for 20 yrs...
Do you have any test results to confirm it was acid vs moisture?
Isnt it more likely that moisture from condensation was the cause of the corrosion?
Do you believe that oil manufactured 20 or more years ago is comparable to modern oil compositions?
I have to assume no oil testing was done to confirm the assumptions being made.
What is missing in an oil test that makes is "partial" info.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:06 AM   #68

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Yes, but lubrication technology has advanced over the years for engines also.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:15 AM   #69

Quote:
Just wondering when others would change their oil and fuel filters after one year but only 700 miles.

I'm guessing most would change everything based on the one year?
IMHO, if it survived the last year of abuse, it will likely survive the next year with the same amount of attention, just leave it alone.

The oil did not Age Out!

- - So NO - -

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
H

Go to the Cummins forum! Read some of the threads on the big inch, big HP engines!
Some of these owners have been paid not to discuss the problems/ and fixes!

!

Now that is fake news and just starting false rumors!

Tags
fuel, fuel filter change