Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlineskater View Post
I would not, unless the trips you made were short. As long as you fully warmed up the engine each time. You could have it tested and see if you need to change it.
It take 20 minutes to change the oil
Unless your short on funds replace the oil
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #72

Damon Owners Club
Change the oil after one year and 700 miles? No. I would add a gallon of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and call it a day.

I would like to see data confirming that used oil turns acidic over time (no combustion). I've never heard that before. Lots of fear mongering on this sight when it comes to annual maintenance. Air filters that come unglued after one year and a day? Oil and fuel filters that spontaneously combust at the one year mark? C'mon, really?
Old 02-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #73

If you do a search on used oil and acid, you will find information on the effects of acid motor oil. It's not a myth! The OP has 700 miles of use on the oil, there definitely is carbon in the oil and that can be confirmed by the oil's color, which I would bet is no longer a golden color but now is black.
New Quote - "Education is learning something new, being close minded is the opposite of learning"!
"Google Search"

People also ask
Is used motor oil acidic?

Modern motor oils contain additives to combat the acid build up in the oil. As the oil becomes contaminated and turns acidic, the additives get used up. Preventing acid buildup is a very big reason for changing motor oil regularly.

Much about Oil - Waynes Garage

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...id_in_Motor_oi

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:19 AM   #74

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
If you do a search on used oil and acid, you will find information on the effects of acid motor oil. It's not a myth! The OP has 700 miles of use on the oil, there definitely is carbon in the oil and that can be confirmed by the oil's color, which I would bet is no longer a golden color but now is black.
New Quote - "Education is learning something new, being close minded is the opposite of learning"!
"Google Search"

People also ask

Modern motor oils contain additives to combat the acid build up in the oil. As the oil becomes contaminated and turns acidic, the additives get used up. Preventing acid buildup is a very big reason for changing motor oil regularly.

I appreciate your contribution. I love learning new stuff.

My poorly worded post was asking how used oil could can gain acidity over time though, not through use. The sources you provided state that "As the engine operates, acidic by-products from the combustion process get past the piston rings and into the oil".

The OP stated he only had 700 miles on his oil, not nearly enough use to build up much acid/contaminates to worry about otherwise we would all be changing oil at 1,000 miles. So, as others and myself have asked, how exactly can oil "age out" over time?
Old 03-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzack View Post
I appreciate your contribution. I love learning new stuff.

My poorly worded post was asking how used oil could can gain acidity over time though, not through use. The sources you provided state that "As the engine operates, acidic by-products from the combustion process get past the piston rings and into the oil".

The OP stated he only had 700 miles on his oil, not nearly enough use to build up much acid/contaminates to worry about otherwise we would all be changing oil at 1,000 miles. So, as others and myself have asked, how exactly can oil "age out" over time?
Oil will not age out, PERIOD. 700 miles is not going to effect the acidity of the oil, neither will another Year.

- JMHO -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #76

Quote:
"Google Search"

People also ask

You are exactly correct... acid is formed with use /combustion and the additives neutralize it until the additives are used up. Exactly why oil sampling & testing is used to determine if it is safe to continue use.
FACT: Todays diesel fuel contain much less sulfur than in the past and acid formation occurs at a much reduced rate and DOES NOT continue to form when oil sits unused!
Learn about TBN & TAN testing and why / how it is used by large fleet vehicles to make sure the heart of their business (truck & bus engines) are well cared for.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:04 AM   #77

Quote:
"Google Search"

People also ask

You mention that my oil must be black. Yes it is black and has been from day one. In fact i have never seen any other color in any diesel vehicle that i have operated. If gold colored oil is desired i think we would be changing our oil daily or switch to a gas engine. Black oil is normal in a diesel engine.
Do you have a diesel engine? If so do you have clear gold oil?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
You mention that my oil must be black. Yes it is black and has been from day one. In fact i have never seen any other color in any diesel vehicle that i have operated. If gold colored oil is desired i think we would be changing our oil daily or switch to a gas engine. Black oil is normal in a diesel engine.
Do you have a diesel engine? If so do you have clear gold oil?
Starting to get the inkling that you REALLY donít want to change your oil, but require interweb approval to validate your decision....
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Steve View Post
Starting to get the inkling that you REALLY donít want to change your oil, but require interweb approval to validate your decision....
Gathering as much knowledge as i can on the subject but i have decided that i will be doing the full service in the fall. I will be driving the coach twice between now and then which will bring my grand total mileage to approx 1000 .and 3 years.

Do you approve?
Old 03-01-2020, 03:05 PM   #80

What does your manual say?
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikena View Post
What does your manual say?
The manual says 15,000 miles or one year. What would you do if you have only driven 700 miles?
Old 03-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
NOPE... 700miles is nothing...
You got To remember the fuel or the diesel get oxidized overtime also the engine oil Recommend to replace at least once a year
Izbotsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #83

Test the oil, 99.99% sure it will come back fine. If there is concern about the filter after the oil test confirms the oil is good then replace the filter only and top off the oil. Next year repeat.
painterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #84

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I wouldn't change the fuel filters at 700 mi!
With only 700 miles...I would be very suspect of your diesel. I would definitely replace the fuel filters!
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel filter change