Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2020, 03:56 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
With only 700 miles...I would be very suspect of your diesel. I would definitely replace the fuel filters!

When you say suspect of my diesel are you referring to how old vrs fresh the fuel is? I do top it up twice per year.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #86

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
With only 700 miles...I would be very suspect of your diesel. I would definitely replace the fuel filters!
I would also change fuel filters(in addition to carrying spares) and add a diesel fuel additive to combat algae growth.
painterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:30 PM   #87

Nope! Leave it alone. If your worried, have the oil tested
dans1999f-53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:36 PM   #88

We change every year while our coach is in winter storage. I am more concerned about water and contaminants that can collect over time, regardless of miles. That's me. but with that said, you are probably fine forgoing the change with only 700 miles
Carl Avila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #89

Well you asked so here is my opinion, I change all filters once a year or 10k miles whichever comes first regardless what vehicle I have.

Zzotte
Old 03-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #90

700 miles? You should saved money and got a single wide. Less money and better quality. No motor.
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:00 PM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Modern oils donít meet the annual oil change criteria. That is a very outdated standard based on obsolete oils that would start breaking down with age, but even then, a year wasnít a big deal. Now itís meaningless. So itís not about saving the cost of an oil change, itís about addressing those things that matter and not performing needless tasks based on the calendar.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #92

Oil Service

I would change the oil Filter and top off. I would also send in a oil sample first.

This will start a war, but those of you who know oil realize that moisture / condensation has been deposited into that oil with heat in the day vs cool night temp swings

Also manufacturing has learned that a oils Additive package can break down from sitting idle with the oxygen in the crankcase.

An oil analysis after being driven and warmed up will give you the best reality check. If not a new filter and a couple quarts may replenish the additives in your oil.

Better to drive them than let them sit. Water will also build up in the rear differential and transmission. A hot run usually boils it off.
hforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:56 PM   #93

From the Cummins manual:

Oil Analysis
Oil analysis, as a method to extend drain intervals, is NOT recommended. Different methods of measuring soot, lack of correlation among testing labs, and differing driving patterns and idle time are the basis of the recommendation.
b17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #94

Annually, unless you can confirm that you are not using it in areas where condensation is NOT a problem. Moisture will condense in the engine and the fuel tank contaminating engine oil and fuel. Water in fuel will lead to black algae, read bad stuff. The cost to change the oil and filters relative to repair an engine. Engine oil and fuel analysis will identify the health of the oil.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #95

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
When you say suspect of my diesel are you referring to how old vrs fresh the fuel is? I do top it up twice per year.
Yep...all diesel is biodiesel to some degree. After time, algae will grow. Your filters are your primary line of defense. With only 700 miles in a year, your fuel is very old (regardless whether you top it off or not). As stated above, with diesel sitting that long, be sure to have an additive that will stop algae from growing.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:29 PM   #96

I would have an oil sample test and maybe oil filter only change if test is good
Joefvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
You mention that my oil must be black. Yes it is black and has been from day one. In fact i have never seen any other color in any diesel vehicle that i have operated. If gold colored oil is desired i think we would be changing our oil daily or switch to a gas engine. Black oil is normal in a diesel engine.
Do you have a diesel engine? If so do you have clear gold oil?

Keep in mind that even when you change your oil, there is still a 1/2 quart of old oil left in the corners and out of way places. Some mechanics even suggest to crank the engine a couple of revolutions when draining the oil to get the last cup of old oil out of the oil pump. Yes, my diesel engines all have black oil shortly after start up. Black oil is a indication of how dirty the inside engine compartment really is which is another reason to frequently change the oil like the manufacture suggest.
I change my Duramax using synthetic oil at 6 month intervals which is about 5000 miles. My oil sample results show I could go 10k miles which I would do if I got in a jam. But I would much rather error on the safe side and the $50 DIYS cost is good entertainment for me.
Vehicle manufactures used to suggest oil changes be done every 6 months and some now have increased that period to annually. I am not aware of any vehicle manufacture that suggest extended periods beyond 1 year for oil changes.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #98

At least once a year depending on miles driven or hours run. Same with the generator. Once you run your engine the contaminants get in the oil, if you just leave it in the engine for several years even at low miles you are going harm yo your engine. If you use it at all you should change it in both the generator and coach. Just good practice plus it keeps the moisture out of your oil. If you canít afford to do this annually then you probably shouldnít own the coach.

Tags
fuel, fuel filter change