Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2020, 09:49 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I had my C7 I changed oil & filters twice a year and fuel filters annually even with low mileage due to the HUIE pump. The viscosity of the oil was always exceptional so it really didn't need to be changed but that pump concerned me.

Now with my Cummins 450HP I will be testing oil annually. If viscosity is okay I will change filter if OD shows more than 7K. If not I will go to 11K and check viscosity again. I may go to synthetic; then I will only do an oil test annually to insure everything is okay.

I'll be carrying fuel filter with me and change it at least annually.

Enjoy and Drive Safe - Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 05:20 PM   #16

Interestingly so far the majority say dont change oil and filters. Some say change annually and one or two called me cheap.
I appreciate all the comments and now I'm considering waiting but might get the oil tested.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:35 PM   #17

Never ask Family for advice [emoji848][emoji6]
Because you will get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Interestingly so far the majority say dont change oil and filters. Some say change annually and one or two called me cheap.
I appreciate all the comments and now I'm considering waiting but might get the oil tested.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
Never ask Family for advice [emoji848][emoji6]
Because you will get it.
I always come here for Rv advice.. there's no better place.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:54 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Annual oil changes well before the mileage interval have never made sense to me. Personally, I wouldn't waste your time and money. I'll change my mind when/if I hear a logical, reasoned argument, based on evidence to the contrary.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
We have had our oil samples tested several times.

All have come back, with recommendation to drive it 5,000 miles more and retest.

5,000 miles for us is about two years.

If the oil can accommodate more contaminants, then I will run it longer.

Filters maybe a different story, but the whole US is conditioned to change the oil frequently. Great marketing by the oil industry.

Oil is cheaper than an engine, but is a change really necessary?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post

Didn't mean to infer you were cheap. If you only wanted to hear that your plan was a great idea and requested only approval responses, then that should have been noted in the original post. I change my own oil on a 5k/6 month schedule because I am too cheap to risk a motor and proud of it!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzack View Post
Annual oil changes well before the mileage interval have never made sense to me. Personally, I wouldn't waste your time and money. I'll change my mind when/if I hear a logical, reasoned argument, based on evidence to the contrary.

One good reason to change annually is to maintain the warranty. If there was an engine issue the first thing Cummins would ask for while under warranty is documentation of annual maintenance.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #23

I just changed the oil/filter in our ISL, and the interval was almost 3 years and almost 10,000 miles. Our oil has gone off for a sample test, and results will tell me whether to do it more or less. A DIY oil change isn't about the money, it's about whether the engine needs it or not...and several gallons of oil should be used, not wasted by over-replacing.

Since our engines are long out of warranty, it's about practicality, IMO.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Why would you dispute what the manual suggest if it says to change the oil annually? The manufacture engineers have done extensive testing on their engines and should know what is best for the engine health. It dosen't make sense when people try to save a few $$'s on a major item like a expensive diesel engine. Can't you afford a oil change, if not then save some $$ and learn to DIYS. That would be a better option.
Note - Remember the OP asked for advice, please do as you desire, it's your machine!
Not disputing anything just wondering if there are exceptions to the rule. Curious to see what others do. I generally change the oil bi annually but I have exceeded this time frame because I have not been in the area of my oil change facility which is 200 miles away. Yes I can afford the oil change but I am extremely selective in who I use.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Didn't mean to infer you were cheap. If you only wanted to hear that your plan was a great idea and requested only approval responses, then that should have been noted in the original post. I change my own oil on a 5k/6 month schedule because I am too cheap to risk a motor and proud of it!

You can call me cheap I dont mind but I dont really have a plan. Well maybe my plan is to adhere to the advice of the majority. Your 6 month change interval is safe but it does not mean that your engine will do any better then if you change annually or bi annually or maybe it is. I'm no expert .
Old 02-24-2020, 08:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I just changed the oil/filter in our ISL, and the interval was almost 3 years and almost 10,000 miles. Our oil has gone off for a sample test, and results will tell me whether to do it more or less. A DIY oil change isn't about the money, it's about whether the engine needs it or not...and several gallons of oil should be used, not wasted by over-replacing.

Since our engines are long out of warranty, it's about practicality, IMO.
I would be interested in the results of your oil testing.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
A DIY oil change isn't about the money, it's about whether the engine needs it or not...and several gallons of oil should be used, not wasted by over-replacing.

I never have understood the "waste" claim when it comes to over frequent oil changes. First of all, a DIYS oil change is typically less cost than a fuel fill up, second, the used oil is recyclable, and third a premature engine rebuild or vehicle scrappage is the ultimate waste if it's caused by inadequate oil changes which junk yards are full of examples.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:41 PM   #28

Quote:
I never have understood the "waste" claim when it comes to over frequent oil changes. First of all, a DIYS oil change is typically less cost than a fuel fill up, second, the used oil is recyclable, and third a premature engine rebuild or vehicle scrappage is the ultimate waste if it's caused by inadequate oil changes which junk yards are full of examples.
That really is the question. What is an inadequate oil change. Is my oil that has been sitting in my engine for 2 5 years and 700 miles inadequate? I wonder how it compares to oil sitting one year but 15,000 miles.

Tags
fuel, fuel filter change